Designing in Thrust

Things to consider for thrust lighting design

[Mod. Note: This post moved here from another location.]
hello everyone right now I am working on a production in which we are placing the audience onstage. The acting area basically makes a thrust into the audience. we have 3 electrics overhead and a FOH position about 8 feet DS of the apron. As I am a student lighting designer and typically only design for a proscenium setup I was hoping you guys could give me some advice and insight into lighting for a thrust. I realize that I will have to include more angles of face light since the audience can see more angles of the performers, but is there anything else I should keep in mind? One thing that is troubling me is how I am going to light the faces of performers that are standing right in front of the audience on one side of the thrust but facing the other audience members on the other side and downstage portion of the thrust. So basically if I tried to light their faces I would also be lighting the first row of audience members if that makes sense. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Things to consider for thrust lighting design

Hopefully you've read this thread as its got some good advice in it.

There are a few key things to remember when you're desigining in thrust:
1) The only light that looks the same to all audience members is down light
2) One audience members Frontlight is another audience members Side/Backlight

To answer one of your questions speciffically: you're going to end up with steeper angles than you're used too, its ok to light the front rows lap, just don't blind them.

Re: Things to consider for thrust lighting design

[Mod. Note: This post moved here from another location.]
hello everyone right now I am working on a production in which we are placing the audience onstage. The acting area basically makes a thrust into the audience. we have 3 electrics overhead and a FOH position about 8 feet DS of the apron. As I am a student lighting designer and typically only design for a proscenium setup I was hoping you guys could give me some advice and insight into lighting for a thrust. I realize that I will have to include more angles of face light since the audience can see more angles of the performers, but is there anything else I should keep in mind? One thing that is troubling me is how I am going to light the faces of performers that are standing right in front of the audience on one side of the thrust but facing the other audience members on the other side and downstage portion of the thrust. So basically if I tried to light their faces I would also be lighting the first row of audience members if that makes sense. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I am actually about to undertake the exact same type of endeavor with a high school director for a one hour version of "The Crucible". After giving it a thought, and looking at my inventory, i think the best way to overcome the FOH obstacle, as i cannot move my positions, would be to use it the FOH house strictly for faces, and worry about body coverage from other angles. While this sounds a little risky and WAY out of the ordinary (for me at least), im not quite sure what to do short of literally building boom positions DS just in front of the wings too shoot off the top with 6xs. if you have any other ideas that will work better. Not sure if that helps at all, but if you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them as I am also at a near loss about how to solve this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back