Dimmer Racks

I personally think that putting doors between you and the dimmers can be a bad thing, if you trip a circuit mid show, and you can't get to the dimmers, that's bad! I have seen signs that say "Warning, Playing with Amp Levels can cause Sterility" and that stopped most people from touching it. If your kids aren't responsible enough to know that finger+power= bad then they really aren't mature enough to be let in.
Nick

It's a school. Any student who has even the smallest reason to be in the building usually is. And then there are the actors. You see, theater doesn't really work without people other than techs (i.e. performers).

I still think that if someone is touching stuff they shouldn't, they shouldn't be allowed to stay in the building, or at least they should be seriously spoken to about there stupidity, theatre can be hugely dangerous, and if that kid sticks his finger into the socket, the school is to blame, I'm sure they will back you all the way with ensuring kids don't kill themselves or others. It's always safety first.
Nick

Nick,

Breaker trip mid show is exactly the same as breaker trip any other time. You need to find the source of the trip before you reset it, lest you damage whatever the breaker tripped to protect.

You are not operating HV with legitimate purpose for automatic reclosers. You are better off running the show down the fixture than resetting the breaker and perhaps ending the show with a fire...

Our dimmer rack, the i96 by Leviton/Colortran (Might be i98, haven't seen it in a while), Is located backstage on SR wing aswell. But it has a door with a lock on it, I don't think anyone has tried to get into it before, but its nice knowing its locked up, aswell as our amps. Which are next to the dimmers. We could make a machine room if we wanted, because the AC, dimmers, amps fire curtain control box, emergancy shutdown box, and other control units are all located in the front corner of SR, and we store sets there so wouldnt really get in the way, but to much work for no real reason.

Anyways, about yours, I would say to get some kind of a locked door on it. If your in a highschool, I would say 100% get something on it. Not even 100% because a student might want to touch them, but even for accidental things. Especially during a production, everyones running around, dont want anyone bumping anything and have the show shutdown.

As for as safety during productions, since everything is on SR we lock the amp rack, dimmers rack, turn of the backstage control box, and setup a little wall infront of the emergency buttons that can be accesed if needed, but will stop accidental bumps, it isnt the best button, is just a big round red glowing button, not even one of those with a lip so you cant bump into it, or a case around it.

Well anyways, I suggest getting something on it.

: )

We could make a machine room... fire curtain control box, emergancy shutdown box, and other control units are all located in the front corner of SR, and we store sets there so wouldnt really get in the way

...setup a little wall infront of the emergency buttons that can be accesed if needed, but will stop accidental bumps, it isnt the best button, is just a big round red glowing button, not even one of those with a lip so you cant bump into it, or a case around it.

What you are describing here to me could contravene fire codes. It's also unwise.

The emergency buttons are there so that if you have a problem you thump them and things stop. Ditto if you need to pull the fire curtain.You don't want recessed emergency stops, in fact if they AREN'T mushroom headed I'd be concerned.

As inconvenient as the location of E stops etc might be, you need to maintain clear access to them, ie. nothing in front of them or below them. It might be your life they save...

What you are describing here to me could contravene fire codes. It's also unwise.

The emergency buttons are there so that if you have a problem you thump them and things stop. Ditto if you need to pull the fire curtain.You don't want recessed emergency stops, in fact if they AREN'T mushroom headed I'd be concerned.

As inconvenient as the location of E stops etc might be, you need to maintain clear access to them, ie. nothing in front of them or below them. It might be your life they save...

For the fire curtain, I didn't mean the pull boxes, there are still three fire curtain pull boxes located around the stage, which are safe from accidental pulls with those plastic box you pull up then pull down the lever, which also shuts down all stage equipment and recovers the room to the non-dmx lights above the stage and house lights. Also, when there is an electrical short, the fire curtain is tripped, equipment is shutdown and houselights on and above stage lights on.

I have not tested it, but I can only assume the mushroom button by the dimmers does the same thing ast the three pull boxes, shuts down equipment and releases the fire curtain. And the thing we put infront of it is easily removable, and isnt ment to conceal it, but since sets are stored around there, it is pretty easy for someone to move a set and hit the button. The maintenance department and I are looking into either switching out the button with a pull box or putting a plastic case around it you pull and it pops up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back