Dimmers

I believe that Behringer pack you linked to can be wired for single phase use, albeit with lower capacity. This is a discontinued product - is there a particular reason you've chosen it (I assume price)?

There are other options out there as well which should be able to wire in to your single-phase system. Alternately, you can stick with a higher grade of portable dimmers (such as Leprecon ULD series) but you will need plenty of power to your positions. Some do have two separate input pigtails requiring 20A each.

Know what you're getting, but don't be opposed to buying used.
Yes. A lighting company near us is selling one for pretty cheap. Do you know how to run it on single-phase? And would me wiring it myself be safe, considering its the same as wiring a fixture?

Wiring issues aside, a "three phase" pack (in this case) only means there are three zero-voltage-cross-detectors in the pack. It can be run off 1, 2, or three phase legs. The pack doesn't care. Although some more sophisticated dimmer systems need to have their brain reprogrammed, this is not the case on this unit. You could technically wire all three of the hots together and put one plug on it, but you would then be limited to what is available through the capacity of the power cord and plug.

The other wiring issues are a bit more problematic.

I believe that Behringer pack you linked to can be wired for single phase use, albeit with lower capacity.
There are not enough neutral terminals for single-phase input. You would be better off with a Leprecon ULD-360-HP or similar as they are designed for two circuits of 120V 15A input.. That would let you run two 575W loads per side (4 per dimmer) as long as each side is plugged into a circuit by itself.

And would me wiring it myself be safe
Only if you had a facility that has an existing 3-phase receptacle. Modifying the dimmer to single phase, except under the direction of the manufacturer, is unwise. As mentioned above, it could also cause injury from exposed pins or miswired receptacles.

/mike

Last edited:
There are not enough neutral terminals for single-phase input. You would be better off with a Leprecon ULD-360-HP or similar as they are designed for two circuits of 120V 15A input.. That would let you run two 575W loads per side (4 per dimmer) as long as each side is plugged into a circuit by itself.

Only if you had a facility that has an existing 3-phase receptacle. Modifying the dimmer to single phase, except under the direction of the manufacturer, is unwise. As mentioned above, it could also cause injury from exposed pins or miswired receptacles.

/mike

Not to belabor the point, but how many neutral terminals does one need? There are seven.... one for each of the 6 dimmer outputs and one for the power input. This is assuming the single phase feed can supply enough amperage to be useful. Whether running it from 3 phase or single phase, you still only use one neutral connection. As the manual states... "all incoming and outgoing neutral conductor connectors are bridged", as in all dimmer packs. Or it could be I just don't understand what you're saying.

Not to belabor the point, but how many neutral terminals does one need? There are seven.... one for each of the 6 dimmer outputs and one for the power input. This is assuming the single phase feed can supply enough amperage to be useful. Whether running it from 3 phase or single phase, you still only use one neutral connection. As the manual states... "all incoming and outgoing neutral conductor connectors are bridged", as in all dimmer packs. Or it could be I just don't understand what you're saying.

There is plenty of neutrals as we have 3 of these currently being used on single phase power.

But is the single terminal large enough - UL listing - for the required neutral conductor for all six circuits? A single phase neutral is going to be bigger than a three phase for the same load.

Has anyone read the product overview on Behringer's website? ;)

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/LD6230.aspx

I haven't seen any detail on "how" or "how much" (but also haven't looked very hard), but it states pretty plainly right there that single phase operation is possible.

While you are right that it states single phase operation is possible, Behringer doesn't go out of their way to tell you how. From my experience with their tech support while owning one, they won't tell you how over the phone either. So it's really just a guess what the "reduced operation" ratings are for single phase.

While you are right that it states single phase operation is possible, Behringer doesn't go out of their way to tell you how. From my experience with their tech support while owning one, they won't tell you how over the phone either. So it's really just a guess what the "reduced operation" ratings are for single phase.

I'll bet they don't even know! Haha.

But is the single terminal large enough - UL listing - for the required neutral conductor for all six circuits? A single phase neutral is going to be bigger than a three phase for the same load.
No, it isn't big enough. The manual says the maximum wire size is 12 AWG. Behringer never considered proper installation with single phase power. There are plenty of other brands of rack mount dimmers that are better designed and documented. I would walk away and buy something else.

No, it isn't big enough. The manual says the maximum wire size is 12 AWG. Behringer never considered proper installation with single phase power. There are plenty of other brands of rack mount dimmers that are better designed and documented. I would walk away and buy something else.

I guess that answers the question does it not. Not capable of doing it right without modifications, and any modifications would need to be by someone licensed and under permit and validity up to the AHJ.

At this point, I'm interested in buying it for myself, just to have a good dimmer laying around in case I do an event away from the company. So I'm still confused. You guys are saying that it can be wired for 1-Phase. But how? Someone must know?
The dimmer will function on single phase, but it cannot be wired to do so in a proper manner. The neutral lug cannot accept a big enough wire. Behringer made a serious design flaw, which is why they did not document how to use single phase, nor will their tech support people answer the question. Their silence should speak volumes. Simply put, the product is not suitable for the intended use. It should only be used as a doorstop.

At this point, I'm interested in buying it for myself, just to have a good dimmer laying around in case I do an event away from the company. So I'm still confused. You guys are saying that it can be wired for 1-Phase. But how? Someone must know?

I think what we've determined is that you can, but you shouldn't.

It is against this site's policy for us to tell you how to do it.

The dimmer will function on single phase, but it cannot be wired to do so in a proper manner. The neutral lug cannot accept a big enough wire. Behringer made a serious design flaw, which is why they did not document how to use single phase, nor will their tech support people answer the question. Their silence should speak volumes. Simply put, the product is not suitable for the intended use. It should only be used as a doorstop.

If done properly they functions quite well. On the three units that I have I've yet to have a single problem with them. Besides the fact that the DMX is in a block of 6 and not independent. So there is no adjusting the soft patch it is a hard patch but I digress.

Like Les said they site doesn't allow us to go into detail in how to wire something to this degree. Call in someone that can either consult you or recommend something better for your space.

I'm not sure why you say this. It should be relatively simple to wire this into a 20 amp single phase power ( 1 hot and neutral ) protected by a breaker. the problem is that you would be restricted to 20 amps total draw. IE an average of 480 watts per dimmer.

Not terribly useful, but not improper?

I'm not sure why you say this. It should be relatively simple to wire this into a 20 amp single phase power ( 1 hot and neutral ) protected by a breaker. the problem is that you would be restricted to 20 amps total draw. IE an average of 480 watts per dimmer.

Not terribly useful, but not improper?
That is what I'm thinking. It says that it will run that way, so I'm a 20 amp, I could run 3-4 fixtures. All I have to do is L1 to hot, N to Neutral, and Ns to Dimmer Neutrals, and E1 to dimmer out hot.... Etc?

Yes, it seems it can safely be run on a single 20 amp circuit with a total loss if 2400 watts non-continous, as I suspect your use is. So put a cord and plug on it and plug it in. No hard wiring without a qualified electrition.

Yes, it seems it can safely be run on a single 20 amp circuit with a total loss if 2400 watts non-continous, as I suspect your use is. So put a cord and plug on it and plug it in. No hard wiring without a qualified electrition.
Ok! So is this the correct pin out?

L1: Input Hot
N1: Input Nuetral
E1: Output 1 Hot
N2: Output 1 Neutral
Etc?

Does anyone know how I could run this off 2 or 3 breakers? Kind of like three-phase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back