Control/Dimming Dimming a Single Circuit

Chadzero

Hey! Just found this forum. Pretty nice place you've got here.

I'm working on an exhibit that incorporates an Alcorn McBride show controller with motion platforms. In the ride, we have one circuit of lights that we need to dim. I don't think this warrants purchasing one of AMB's DMX racks since it's only one circuit, and a set it and forget it scenario.

The V4 Pro has RS232, ethernet, and relay outputs. I'm looking for a dimming module which could be controlled by one of these means. The closest I've found is a Velleman Dimmer, but I don't have an analog output which would drive it. I could make a one-off dimmer to do this with a microcontroller, but I'd like something easily replaceable.

Do you guys have any product recommendations? Thanks.

How much current are we talking about dimming (the Velleman unit cited is 500W, is that sufficient)? Since it's for a permanent install, I'd be weary of Velleman, as I suspect everything will need to be listed, by NRTL.

Try contacting Engineering Solutions Inc to see if they have or could provide a solution. Have you asked Alcorn already?

Dove makes a single-channel 2.4 kW dimmer that accepts both DMX and 0-10 vdc analog control. (link)

Altman sells a single channel 600 watt DMX dimmer. (link)

There are other single channel dimmers available as well, from other manufacturers, usually in the 600 watt range.

Fleenor makes DMX to RS232 and RS232 to DMX interfaces if you need them, although the Alcorn stuff I've worked with usually has had DMX capability, though. Durand Interstellar also makes some interfaces
(link)
(link)

I'm currently looking at around 400W of Halogen lighting. I have asked Alcorn about it. The sales rep said it should be easy to find an RS-232 or ethernet dimmer that will work with the V4Pro.

Those dimmers look close, but the added expense of the DMX-RS232 converter kills it.

Hi Folks,

Just a quick post because our webmaster noticed some incoming traffic due to this thread...

Thanks, Tim & Derek, for the links.

Just wanted to mention that this box has been used successfully by a large group of AMX / Crestron / Alcorn McBride / iPad deveopers & systems integration people. According to the feedback we've received, they've all been quite pleased with its performance, form factor and functionality.

We also do custom firmware builds, if the stock features don't exactly match what you need. And as always, international shipping is never a problem.

Cheers,

John

-------
Engineering Solutions Inc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back