Control/Dimming DIY Lighting Boards

wfor

I've been doing some searching around, and I've dug up a little bit from some old threads, including this link from Len's post a while back. Very interesting.

Otherwise I've found very scattered information about it. I have an older (XP) laptop I'm thinking about doing something with, and considering building a case around it and putting in an ENTEC Open DMX out, and running Magic Q or Freestyler from it. This is just fumbling around though, just curious right now.

Anyone built/know any good custom builds of lighting consoles?

Last edited:
I'd use the Enttec pro or some other interface that generates its own DMX to get around the timing issues that the Enttec open has. I'm not sure of the advantage of building a case for just the laptop and interface box.

The big question is whether you are comfortable with using a mouse for control, or whether you want actual sliders.
/mike

I've been hearing some other issues with the Open DMX... hmmm. I guess I'll probably go with the Pro, for stability and for the added DMX input being quite nice.

There's nothing exactly advantageous about building a custom case except containing everything in one case (computer, faderboard, Enntec, etc.), and most importantly, looking awesome.

Yes, I absolutely want to use real faders and buttons. I HATE using the mouse. The Enttec wings are a little steep for me, although I understand definitely the way to go. Instead I'm planning on the Behringer BCF2000, which seems to be a good product and useful for this application.

Anyone have any information on Freestyler vs. Magic Q OR have any other suggestions?

Before you waste your money, it is important to understand the the BCF2000 will NOT work with Magic Q unless you are using a Chamsys interface (or wing) with it. The free version of MagicQ does not support Midi (that is one of the few features they save for paying users). Magic Q is an excellent program. I have the MQ100Pro and I use magic Q on my laptop with an Enttec Pro all the time and I love it but your current plan will not work as proposed. One thing worth noting is that making a case that looks awesome is going to be pretty expensive. You are likely going to want a custom cut panel which will be a few hundred bucks unless you have access to a plasma cutter and know how to use it and all the other parts that you will need to make the casing look even remotely professional will end up costing hundreds more. A Chamsys Mini Wing is about $1400 and includes DMX output and physical controls. Honestly, I don't think that you are being realistic if you expect to build anything in a professional looking enclosure for much less than that.

Before you waste your money, it is important to understand the the BCF2000 will NOT work with Magic Q unless you are using a Chamsys interface (or wing) with it. The free version of MagicQ does not support Midi (that is one of the few features they save for paying users). Magic Q is an excellent program. I have the MQ100Pro and I use magic Q on my laptop with an Enttec Pro all the time and I love it but your current plan will not work as proposed. One thing worth noting is that making a case that looks awesome is going to be pretty expensive. You are likely going to want a custom cut panel which will be a few hundred bucks unless you have access to a plasma cutter and know how to use it and all the other parts that you will need to make the casing look even remotely professional will end up costing hundreds more. A Chamsys Mini Wing is about $1400 and includes DMX output and physical controls. Honestly, I don't think that you are being realistic if you expect to build anything in a professional looking enclosure for much less than that.

BCF2000 doesn't work with Magic Q, good to know.

I understand that the case will take more a great deal of money and time, but also remember that I'm only just barely considering this, I don't have any definite plans to go forward, just curious as to how this has been done before and any suggestions people have.

On a side note, I have no plasma cutter, however I do have access to a laser cutter, so that may help as far as making the case goes.

A laser cutter will cut cardboard, thin plywood, or acrylic plastic but for a case which will hold up you are going to want to make it out of metal and few laser cutters will go through that.

This sounds like an interesting and vastly complicated project. To get started, take a look at websites that cater to people making custom computer hardware. It never ceases to amaze me how complicated these things can get, especially the steampunk ones. So essentially, this is not that uncommon of a project, but this particular application is a bit odd.

My real question for you is what do you want to make it look like? Think about the functionality to awesomeness ratio that you come up with. Take a look at:

The 17 Hottest Steampunk Computer Creations The Hottest Gadgets (10 and 11 are my favorites)

and check out this:

Datamancer.net - Technical Art and Steampunk Contraptions

this dude makes keyboards that are amazing but cost literally hundreds of dollars. These are just a few examples of modded computer gear (exclusively in one style), and the reason I chose these is that for the most part, these are custom jobs, similar to what you might be doing. These guys cut metal, choose components, and make everything work, and its a lot of work.

A totally steampunk board would be sweet, but I have a feeling it would not be that fast to opperate (touch screens just dont fit into steampunk look). Making the thing usable for someone is critical in for a console. Also, I doubt youll need a heirloom, custom crafted light board. An ETC Ion would work fine, and for the cost of some modded/custom work, a GrandMA is probably a comperable price point. Yeah, it will last 30 years, but by then we wont be using DMX any more, methods of control will be completelly different, and youll probably have had to go through 2 or 3 boards anyhow.

To make a case for pots or something similar, your probably going to need a CNC plasma cutter or a water jet, or a laser cutter designed for cutting metal. They do exist, but they are huge and expensive, mainly for military speced gadgetry. If you plan on making a lot of stuff, maybe invest in a plasma cutter, but remember that it carries a lot of the same risks as welding, and should be done only after being shown how to do it by someone who knows how to use it and with proper safety gear.

Last edited:
A custom case is fine for a lot of situations, but IMO making boxes defeats the whole point of having a pc-based console: its modular nature allows you to only set up what you need to. I have mine on a notebook, and when I'm fiddling around at my house, I don't set up the fader board and just use a regular second (not a touch screen) monitor for the visualizer.

If I were traveling with a tour it would be a different story. Then a single case would make more sense.

But to manufacture fader boards, etc., I'd really just try to shop around for a used Hog II or other product pre-made. By the time you mfg. everything to your liking the amount of time and materials would be close to what you're going to spend on a store bot solution.

if not more because decent faders retail for $10 each then you have to buy the knob, you have to silk screen the panel after it has been punched and you need autocad as a minimum to produce the drawings.

If you want a hobby project - go for it but if you want a light board you can get there much more easily and cheaper by buying off the shelf. Electronic components are remarkably expensive whenyou want to buy them in small quantities and you will get stuck with shipping and minimum order stuff.

Thanks guys, a lot of good info.

I actually had in mind the sorts of computer case mods... those are intense, especially the steampunks. I don't know if this will ever even happen, but if it does that certainly won't be that complex!

As for talk of the cost equaling that of a real console... trust me if I did a project like this and had the money to buy and Ion, I'd buy an Ion!

Basically with this thread I wanted to see some examples of anything that had been created and just see if anyone was successful at it.

Aside from me liking lighting design and theatre and concerts in general, I'm also just a big geek when it comes to consoles, like I know alot of us are...

Thanks guys, a lot of good info.

I actually had in mind the sorts of computer case mods... those are intense, especially the steampunks. I don't know if this will ever even happen, but if it does that certainly won't be that complex!

As for talk of the cost equaling that of a real console... trust me if I did a project like this and had the money to buy and Ion, I'd buy an Ion!

Basically with this thread I wanted to see some examples of anything that had been created and just see if anyone was successful at it.

Aside from me liking lighting design and theatre and concerts in general, I'm also just a big geek when it comes to consoles, like I know alot of us are...

I was bored yesterday, and came upon this thread again, and promptly started sketching what a steampunk Ion should look like. Maybe I should make it for a GrandMA lite or something, and try and sell the design to some club... Not something you make for any reason other than fun, and to turn large piles of money into cool, geeky stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back