DJ School dance.

jerekb

This isn't really theatre related but wasn't sure where else to go. So I'm the DJ at my school dance which is in 5 days. I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to play two songs at once so I can let one end as I bring up the other. I know iTunes crossfades but it doesnt do that if I choose a song only if its the next song on the list. ?? any ideas I could really use some pointers as well. And I am aware this really isn't being a "DJ" so is there another name for it? really all I'm doing is playing music.

Your best bet is to use software DJ style stuff. From what you said, I'm guessing someone asked you do do this and you said sure. Firstly: People will hate your choice of music. Try going onto VirtualDJ's website, MIXX is freeware (and simple), ClubDJ Pro, Sterato Scratch live and Traktor are also popular, but not cheap. For you I would recommend UltraMixer, got a crossfader, 30 day trial, takes MP3's (Not sure about M4A's) and will let you do all the stuff you spoke about,
All the best,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and by the way, I'm no pro, I like to muck around mixing up my own music a bit, but if you need any more help, PM me, I'm on here every day, so good luck!
Nick (Again)

It sounds like you have a basic setup (computer, amp, speakers). Is this accurate? Do you have access to a small mixer? If you have a mixer you can set up two music sources (mp3 player, computer, CD, etc) and fade them manually as you choose the musci. If you only have your computer and iTunes, then set out your playlist ahead of time. If you have a playlist set up, not only will you not be scrambling for the next song, but they will all crossfade. If someone requests a specific song, or if you think the floor needs something special, then fade the volume, say your DJ lines ("here's a special request," blah blah), and then start the new song fresh. Trust me, having a basic sketch of a playlist will help.

There's Virtual DJ. You could try the trial version.

I once found another good piece of free software, but I forgot it's name. It put everything in a list, and then you could add the songs from the list to th e playlist, which would crossfade everything and keep it really organized. I'll have to get back to you.

Yeah heres my setup so far (iMac w/ plenty of music, Amp and mixer and eq are all in one little rack, and two pevey's each getting 300w) I tested it out this week it sounds pretty good for a school dance and sound like it will cover our gym nicely.

Wimp is an excellent, free media player with crossfadability. I don't think there's a version of it for mac, though. Otherwise, iTunes will work just fine. Before you go in, have a good playlist set before you get there. Be sure to have enough popular dance music in the set to please the majority. Then when you get there and you have requests, you can put them into the playlist where they fit the best. Mix in a few other styles (including slow songs and those golden oldies), but don't go straight from hip hop/rap to the BeeGees or something, have a go between song that is (somewhat) similar to both.

Just a couple pointers. Once you get in there and do it once, you'll have a better grasp of what is necessary. Just never forget, it's what the crowd wants to hear next, not you.

Also, gear setup should be pretty straight forward. If you want the beat to be most prominenty, put the speakers on the floor. If clarity accross the gym is more important, get 'em up on poles.

I used to dj. Try out MegaSeg, it is what I used to use and loved it. But it is mac only.

I also used a Griffin USB to RCA converter. I just looked and it looks like they dont carry it anymore.

Wow... When I did it at my HS I just used two 5-Disc changers and cross-faded between the 9/10 and the 11/12 on my mackie board... Playing random songs on random CDs because they were just a bunch of burned CDs and we didn't know what was on them!!!

As we got more sophisticated, we just set up a pre-made list and had iTunes crossfade. Then we could go out and dance. Piece of Cake. If you need to add/remove a song, just insert it into or remove it from the playlist. Or drag and drop into the "dance" playlist as you go.

At least for PC's, Winamp allows multiple instances to be open, so you can have Playlist A on one instance and Playlist B on another, which would give you manual crossfade control. Otherwise you can use one playlist and set the automatic crossfade settings.

It's more the concept than the program. If you can find two programs to have open at once that play media files, you've just made your own cheap crossfading utility. I'd hardly consider it a good solution, but it will get you through in a pinch.

Ok thank you all for your help it went well. Except at in the last 30 mn. I blew a subwoofer or the bi-amp not sure yet but it quit working so that kinda sucked but its my fault cause it was plugged into just the low end so either someone moved it or I am a complete IDIOT. Anyways thank you so much for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back