DMX connections

Doowop63

Was looking up DMX to LED lighting and I have both 3 pin and five pin options will it connect using a combination of cables or do I have to run strictly three pins or strictly five pin these are elation six part 200s

Well you don’t want to run 2 cables at the same time.

Basically they give you an option to use either or.

In a pinch I have ran out of 5pin and had to supplement a 3pin cable in a run of fixtures. It worked fine.

Rule of thumb is try to stick to one type of cable for less connection breaks when you get to your final destination. So if your board outputs 5 stick with 5. Even if you got a board that outputs 3 only you should get a 3 to 5 connector anyways as 3 pin isn’t DMX. But that’s another topic.

Manufacturers use 3 pin XLR connectors as it’s cheaper then using 5 pin. Some better manufacturers put both 3 and 5 on their fixtures so the end user isn’t stuck if all they have is 3 pin cable.

The DMX standard specifies 5 pin connectors. Period. Problem with 3 pin is the occasional time you run short and use microphone cable, which is not twisted pair data cable. You can run into signal problems doing this, so not good practice. If your stock of 3 pin is rated as data cable, no problem using it until a newbie pics up and uses Audio cable and you wonder why something doesn’t work.

And some use RJ45s. At least S4WRD and ColorSource are available with them.

As much as I disagree with ETC’s choice on this, at least I understand it from the engineering standpoint of a 5 pin XLR won’t fit on the fixture. As well, cable used on RJ45 connectors is at least DMX compliant, so a pass.

The High End Studio Spots I have are 3 pin only and are of a vintage that HES could have used 5 pin, but went cheap instead.

Reactions: Van
As much as I disagree with ETC’s choice on this, at least I understand it from the engineering standpoint of a 5 pin XLR won’t fit on the fixture. As well, cable used on RJ45 connectors is at least DMX compliant, so a pass.

The High End Studio Spots I have are 3 pin only and are of a vintage that HES could have used 5 pin, but went cheap instead.
@SteveB I'm not familiar with your High End Systems Studio Spots but could you possibly swap the 3 contact inserts to 5 contact inserts within the same connector housings? Do the inserts solder directly to printed circuit boards or are there short length of connecting wire involved??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I think the OP was asking about mixing them. As far as errors go, has more to do with the cable than the connectors. Basically, all 4 connectors are in parallel, so you could run 5 pin from the board to the first fixture, 3 pin between the first and second, and back to 5 pin between the second and the third. Really doesn't matter as long as the cable is the same type. Now, best practices would be to run all 5 pin. Also, the cable used on 3 pin XLR cables may or may not be DMX or mic cable. You can be pretty sure when you buy a 5 pin cable that DMX grade (correct impedance, etc) was used. Nothing, however, in 100%

@SteveB I'm not familiar with your High End Systems Studio Spots but could you possibly swap the 3 contact inserts to 5 contact inserts within the same connector housings? Do the inserts solder directly to printed circuit boards or are there short length of connecting wire involved??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

In all honesty, I’ve no clue. Cheaper labor wise to leave as 3 pin and use adapters. These are as well and at this point, really old style and don’t see as much use, so not putting labor into them.

I was just really annoyed that HES took this cheap route.

For a high school that very rarely moves a fixture - I have no problem with the RJ45. For the difference in cost you can buy another fixture or two. And the band director can get a replacement locally.

Last edited:
You can adapt, and mix connectors. You can run 3pin to 5 to RJ45 and back again, DMX doesn't care. Don't use mic cable.
If you have any issues; make sure any cables you use have good solders with as little bare wire showing as possible, make sure your end of the line fixtures are properly terminate, make sure you r middle of the line fixtures are not.

The irony is, low-end manufacturers started using 3 pin XLR's to save a buck, but now they're forced to include both XLR3 and XLR5 connectors on their fixtures because consumers demand compatibility.

I just noticed that Chauvet DJ has added XLR5 on to some of their new fixtures.

Does anyone have the connectors for dmx on barbed wire?
@BillConnerFASTC If anyone's going to offer DMX control of your cattle fencing it's going to be Janell and her Dad at Doug Fleenor Designs, I've heard they have a DIN-mounted version in the works. Perhaps Janell will be along shortly. At the moment I understand they're working on DMX control of your Supreme Court.
EDIT: Corrected inadvertent misspelling of Janell's given name.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Anyone have the connectors for dmx on barbed wire?

I use an alligator clip for temporary connection and wire tap connector for permanent connection:

alligator clip.jpg
tap connector.jpg

Is 3-pin DMX even a thing? /s
Yes and No. DMX signal works over 3 pin just fine. But, No, the standard calls for 5 pin so if you are not using 5 pin then it really can't be considered part of the standard.
Of course, 3 pin has been around so long that if you told someone "That's not DMX!" they would probably just make a face at you.

Yes and No. DMX signal works over 3 pin just fine. But, No, the standard calls for 5 pin so if you are not using 5 pin then it really can't be considered part of the standard.
Of course, 3 pin has been around so long that if you told someone "That's not DMX!" they would probably just make a face at you.

The '/s' was meant to denote the sarcastic tone in my comment. I was just surprised that no one had brought this up already. :lol:

I can't get over Doug's article and the line "In summary, the barbed wire had zero impact on signal quality. The signals went through perfectly undistorted. The only thing the barbed wire did was impress the heck out of Broadcom's customers." To think I could have controlled my propane foot lights I built for the BSA council camp with barbed wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back