DMX control of RGB LEDs

Fairchild

I'm looking for some advice on how to accomplish a lighting project. I'm new to lighting, and may need to hire someone to program my lights. For now, i want to see if my idea can be accomplished.

I want to be able to program light sequences for groups of LEDs, and have a system that will run stand-alone, running the light sequences during a band's performance. The only control i need is the ability to switch sequences(Through MIDI?) for new songs during the show. I'm not trying to sync the lights perfectly with the music just yet. Right now my goal is to just have sequences that are close in tempo.

I found a DMX controller that looks like it can do what i want: Stand-alone DMX controller with Ethernet (Art-Net and TCP/IP), USB, MIDI, and I/O ports

I have not found LEDs in a configuration that will allow me to create the shape that i'm looking for. The only thing that seems like it could work is the Chroma-Q Color Web: Chroma-Q - Products - Creative LED - Color Web - Features
Though, i would probably have to remove the LEDs from the web to make the shape i want.

This is an example of the type of sequences i'd like to achieve. I also like that shape of the LED arrays this person has( I tried contacting them for info on how they built theirs, but they have not responded):

YouTube - Pingpong labda RGB ledekkel (my hand made)

To the best of my knowledge, this is what the system might look like:

Picture 10.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
If You have 60RGB LEDs and want to control all of them separetly, You need a device that has 180 outputs. Of course You can multiplex and charlieplex them to reduce number of outputs needed. Maybe a microprocessor with shift registers. Goes deep into electronics..

...You can multiplex and charlieplex...

I know what Miltiplexing is, but what on earth is charlieplex supposed to be?

Last edited:
Well, if you do use the Color Web, it looks like if you purchase the Color Web DMX Power Supply, you should be set to go.
From what I can tell, it would allow you to pretty much plug in your web, and have individual control and power for all the LEDs.
Chroma-Q - Products - Creative LED - Color Web DMX Power Supply
I think the biggest question when it comes to using the Color Web would be how easilly it can be rearranged to fit your needs. You may want to contact Artistic License, the manufacturer, to see if they could produce something to fit your need.

If You have 60RGB LEDs and want to control all of them separetly, You need a device that has 180 outputs. Of course You can multiplex and charlieplex them to reduce number of outputs needed.
I forgot to mention that all of the LED groups will be displaying the same sequence at the same time. Maybe once i figure out how to accomplish that, i'll move on to having them all play different sequences.

I think the biggest question when it comes to using the Color Web would be how easilly it can be rearranged to fit your needs.
This is totally a concern of mine. I think i would just remove the actual web from the LEDs and wiring, then create a three dimensional shape. Would i be able to map out the shape with something like this:
YouTube - ArKaos LED Mapper on Schnick-Schnack C100

DMX offset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back