DMX out from ETC wall jack panels?

It's like I said the port is part of the same data bus as long as it was wired properly even though it is labeled as input it can be used to carry the same data signal to another device and you should use an OPTO in either case as the cable length from the transmitter is probably lengthy at that point anyway. I’m assuming they would like to branch it out to several locations on the grid beyond that. As far as re-purposing unused cable, yes that can be done but I don’t see it adding any integrity at all in this case. The original question for this thread was can a port that is labeled as input is used as an output and the answer is, YES. No need to hack or change wiring or make thing over complicated however if they wanted a whole extra universe I can see the reason for wiring however that can also be done using the same cable if it has enough conductors. If you know of any devices that re-broadcast and don't pass through DMX besides OPTOS and processors, I would love to know what those are. As far as electrical engineering degrees go, well I’m a broadcast engineer for a major television network, I kind of know how signal flow and distributions work. :grin:

DMX data system "Y" cable runs do provide unmanaged data reflections and the possibility of corrupting the data thereby causing unwanted or loss of control. There are only two ways to eliminate the possibility of a "Y" in the specific system listed above: place a splitter/booster at the DMX In jack backstage with as short a DMX cable as possible between the wall jack and the splitter/booster, or use a different cable such as the ETCLink wiring. The opto must be used to eliminate data reflections, not because of cable length issues. DMX is good for well over 1000' feet and I highly doubt these systems have that much cable in them even when a "Y" is added.

For me, this is about data integrity, system stability and system usability. So, I agree with you that the In can be used as an Out, but only under very specific caveats that have to be remembered each time. I do not agree that system integrity is not improved when using the other cable system. It is far improved. I would like to somehow convince you that "Y" wiring in DMX data systems is not a solid system. Since you know how signal flows and distribution works, I would hope that you agree that many "Y" and "T" systems do not work.

So sure, you can always have an opto bolted to the wall, with a turn around cable plugged in to the DMX In backstage, and for that the answer of YES does work. I will argue that it is not best practice and likely someone in the near future [especially at a school] will remove the opto and wonder why on certain days the DMX system doesn't work.

As far as devices that rebroadcast, let's remember that we started with an absolute statement that none did, that changed to add optos, then changed to add boosters and then changed again to add processors. Some older DMX devices did indeed rebroadcast. I do not have a list, but there were some old movers and scrollers that did this before people really understood everything they needed to do in their designs. My guess is that we could place a table full of DMX devices in front of people and ask them which ones rebroadcast and almost no one would get them all right. We want to avoid people having to think about the use of their cabling plant to make it work for this specific show. As has been said before, DMX system failures only occur when you least expect them to. Perhaps that should be called Terry's Law.

I am trying to use this forum to educate people in the robust design and use of their system so that they never spend hours troubleshooting something that could have been easily corrected for in their system design.

David

Wow. As a first timer, my opening post has garnered way more information and replies than I expected. Thank you to everyone who has responded.

In the past, I installed a very small DMX system using an opto between the console and the rest of the system, to support future use of other DMX fixtures and LEDs, so I am aware of the need for such things to maintain reliability and integrity.

I did not know how such a device (or any, for that matter) could be reliably used given the situation I found in the OP.

... There are only two ways to eliminate the possibility of a "Y" in the specific system listed above: place a splitter/booster at the DMX In jack backstage with as short a DMX cable as possible between the wall jack and the splitter/booster, or use a different cable such as the ETCLink wiring. The opto must be used to eliminate data reflections, not because of cable length issues.
So sure, you can always have an opto bolted to the wall, with a turn around cable plugged in to the DMX In backstage, and for that the answer of YES does work. I will argue that it is not best practice and likely someone in the near future [especially at a school] will remove the opto and wonder why on certain days the DMX system doesn't work.

As David points out, he has drawn an exact schematic of the situation I have, and how a "Y" would have been created had I just used a gender-bender at the wall jack. This was one reason I posted (though not explained) as I thought could be problematic, and hoped a solution would present itself.

Indeed, it seems we can thus break it down to two permanent or semi-permanent solutions (other than my temporary wireless solution).
1) A quick hack, without an opto at the jack, would be possible, yes. Probably would work in this situation as runs from the jack are short. A better solution would be to use an opto. But potential user ignorance issues in the future.
2) Future rewiring of the existing RFU jacks for a permanent, robust solution, using optos to avoid the linked topology of the jacks that is likely present, especially if multiple DMX drops are needed at one time.

Everyone's insight has been great. I hope others will find this thread as informative as I have.

Last edited:
So it's ok to send a signal at the middle of a data bus according to your design. But it's not ok to go out from the same data stream because of a wall plate label. Is that correct?

So it's ok to send a signal at the middle of a data bus according to your design. But it's not ok to go out from the same data stream because of a wall plate label. Is that correct?

Tom,

You are arguing about a system that isn't built these days. It was not un-common to see the touch-and-go input systems as DN described, but this was before the widespread use of other devices listening that were other then the dimming system. Thus ETC found it acceptable (and likely never had issues with) a touch-and-go. So yes, you would see an input in the middle of the data bus, but in reality and use, the primary console, as the initial source of DMX at the start of the data buss, would have been off-line, as this system typically had no ability to merge DMX.. So, yes it was considered OK.

It would obviously not be today, but we are talking 20 years ago on that type of design, with lots learned about how to better configure systems.

As Steve Terry once said, you can run DMX on a couple pieces of barbed wire and it will work .... until it doesn't. I'll adhere to the DMX standard which I don't think even allows the mid tap with a "very short cable" to a splitter. Too many DMX problems on actual installs that I can't afford not to insist it be done to best practice. While the consequences for a non-professional production of DMX going flaky are usually not catastrophic, why do it wrong?

As Steve Terry once said, you can run DMX on a couple pieces of barbed wire and it will work .... until it doesn't. I'll adhere to the DMX standard which I don't think even allows the mid tap with a "very short cable" to a splitter. Too many DMX problems on actual installs that I can't afford not to insist it be done to best practice. While the consequences for a non-professional production of DMX going flaky are usually not catastrophic, why do it wrong?

How do you know my way is wrong, you’re not proving anything to me to prove it either? Not to mention the original post talked about using the end of the DMX chain and not the center tap. Most fixtures the two DMX ports are wired directly to each other with a center tap for the transceiver chip. Most quality fixtures have an isolation circuit to protect the DMX lines from chatter, cheap stuff does not. If you want me to post actual traces and schematics to prove a point, I would be more than happy to spend the time. So don’t tell me I’m wrong when you aren’t providing any hard documentation from anyone just your opinion. Do things the way you want to, it’s not my problem and I’m done with this thread. As far as a system made 20years ago; you want to tell me they don’t put a DMX port in the control booth and on the stage tied to the same universe anymore?? DMX hasn’t really changed in 20 years if you haven’t noticed.

DMX hasn’t really changed in 20 years if you haven’t noticed.
While DMX hasn't really changed, the way it is being used has, quite a bit. There is this neat, new thing called RDM. You should check it out! ;)

@lightman02, please read the replies from SteveB and DavidNorth a little more carefully. You'll see why you are getting flak for your replies, they kind of don't make sense. Look at @DavidNorth's signature. See where he works? He said that ETC does do things differently now because of the way things have changed. It's also clear you didn't even read the original post carefully either, as there is no mention of where in the line the OP would be connecting. Truth is, he probably doesn't even know himself.
If you are going to reply, take the time to know what you are replying to. After you write your reply, don't just hit post. Do what SteveB says, "Read it again, before pressing Send". Also, remember, no one is forcing you to pay any attention to anything in this thread, or anywhere on CB. If you don't like something that is said, just ignore it and move on. You don't have to reply if you don't want to. No sense in trying to start an argument, especially someplace like CB where there are plenty of people that probably know much more than you or I. Don't reply just for the sake of doing so. Let's keep CB a happy place! :)

While DMX hasn't really changed, the way it is being used has, quite a bit. There is this neat, new thing called RDM. You should check it out! ;)

@lightman02, please read the replies from SteveB and DavidNorth a little more carefully. You'll see why you are getting flak for your replies, they kind of don't make sense. Look at @DavidNorth's signature. See where he works? He said that ETC does do things differently now because of the way things have changed. It's also clear you didn't even read the original post carefully either, as there is no mention of where in the line the OP would be connecting. Truth is, he probably doesn't even know himself.
If you are going to reply, take the time to know what you are replying to. After you write your reply, don't just hit post. Do what SteveB says, "Read it again, before pressing Send". Also, remember, no one is forcing you to pay any attention to anything in this thread, or anywhere on CB. If you don't like something that is said, just ignore it and move on. You don't have to reply if you don't want to. No sense in trying to start an argument, especially someplace like CB where there are plenty of people that probably know much more than you or I. Don't reply just for the sake of doing so. Let's keep CB a happy place! :)

Yeah, I know what RDM is and this is not about RDM, it's about DMX but RDM would still not be an issue either. As far as saying someone else is right because they work for ETC or Apollo, well sorry no thanks.

As far as saying someone else is right because they work for ETC or Apollo, well sorry no thanks.
Umm... not sure why Apollo is being brought up....

So, what are you saying? When you have an issue with a product, do you not call the manufacturer because even though they made the product, their solution may not be right because of what you think? You might not agree, but industry leaders are typically right. If they weren't, they likely wouldn't be an industry leader. Just because you might not like something, that doesn't mean it is wrong. There are different ways of doing the same thing, some may be better than others, and one person may prefer one over another. That doesn't make any of them wrong. Opinions are exactly that.
I apologize, I didn't realize you didn't know who David North is. He happens to be one of the people on CB that I was talking about that knows more than you and me about things like DMX. Just because he is the GM for ETC's rigging department, doesn't mean he only knows rigging.

Like I said I'm done with this conversation. David North I do not know personally and don't care who he works for, ETC is not the DMX rulers of the world and neither is David North. So it's safe to say that just because he works for ETC that it's said and done and whatever he says is set in stone.; that his opinion is final. I work on things a hell of a lot more complex then DMX data so my stance does not change. Once again I am done posting in this thread. Have a nice day, been doing lighting since 1996 and no DMX problems. Just because I don't work for ETC or any lighting manufacturer does not mean I don't know what I am doing and my thoughts are less important. That's my point, lets not have hard feelings, we are all trying to help each other so let's not get out of hand. I do appreciate vendors taking the time but that doesn't mean they are always right. I've had several vendor reps on sites that had no clue what they were doing. I am not saying that about you or David but the vendor isn't always perfect either.

Last edited:
:doh:Like I already said,
If you are going to reply, take the time to know what you are replying to.
You were so quick to reply that you didn't even realize that I never implied or said that you knew him personally or that ETC is "the DMX rulers of the world".

I apologize, I didn't realize you didn't know who David North is. He happens to be one of the people on CB that I was talking about that knows more than you and me about things like DMX. Just because he is the GM for ETC's rigging department, doesn't mean he only knows rigging.

I don't know how much he knows, like I said never worked with.

Thomas,

I wish I could have a one on one conversation with you. This is not, and has not ever been, personal. I've tried to make it clear that I am representing information and tried to also address your questions and points. Clearly I have failed. Do not listen to me because of where I work - I've never asked for that or expect it.

For those that are interested, I will try to address some of these topics.

In fixtures, and other devices that have a DMX connection, there is indeed a stub. This is defined as the amount of distance between the transceiver chip and the DMX transmission line. In some cases this distance is zero because the lines connect at the input of the chip which means the chip is sitting directly on the data bus. In other products, this distance might be 6" or so as the DMX In and Thru connectors will be soldered together at the front panel and then a single twisted pair then goes to the board and chip. Best practice design [elicited by the standard and several use docs] say that any stubs should be kept as short as possible. So yes, at each device that has a non-zero stub, that is a "Y" or "T".

It is true that a DMX console plugged into the middle of a line is sending data in two directions, ie a "Y" or "T". Technically, an RS-485 line can be terminated at each end and this will eliminate reflections on the line. This is not what was done many years ago, nor to this day when such systems are installed. I can tell you, however, that I have installed terminators on both ends in cases where data reflections caused issues. Reflections are based on several parameters, the most notable being distance of the DMX cable. Time is distance down a wire and with wire at the perfect length, data waveforms can be altered or canceled out due to reflections off the unterminated end.

RDM does require specific, non-DMX termination and it must be held correctly at each location due to bi-directional data flow and transmit status. I have found, on a number of installations, that the termination is even more critical. RDM places transmitters all over the data bus, not just at the ends, which is why data integrity is even more important than DMX.

Isolation chips are not designed to isolate chatter as they do not know about proper timing. If a reflected signal is the dominate signal, the receiver chip and isolator accept the changed timing and send it on the CPU for processing. Isolators are designed to provide galvanic or optical isolation to reduce the possibility that an out of tolerance signal will get coupled into the main electronics. It's just like the galvanic isolation that is provided on each port of an ENET switch where it just passes on anything it gets but doesn't know if it's a real signal or not. Yes, more expensive products do have them and they are wonderful when someone sends the wrong signal down a data line or there's a nearby lightning strike.

Somehow I have missed where the OP stated his DMX In port is at the end of a DMX chain. Unless we are talking about where the console is plugged in.

I have scope shots of corrupted DMX, copies of DMX specs and best practices, schematics of products and I can post that if that will help people reading this. I want a healthy discourse and to work using standards and best practices. Thomas, you can do what you are saying - I never said you couldn't. I did say I wouldn't and that other methods are more sure.

Anyone that has now spent the time reading through all my dribble and has an interest in knowing more about DMX practices, I would highly recommend Recommended Practice for DMX512, by Adam Bennette. It takes the DMX standard it turns it into a doc that can more easily be interpreted to use cases in the field and with product design.

Thomas, if I have failed to explain things clearly, I would appreciate a phone call when you have a free moment. It's possible that things are just getting lost in translation.

David
eight eight eight - 908-2142 reaches my desk toll free

Well, my long posting surely missed a lot of activity. I can delete the last post if people think it's wise.

David

David I appreciate your post and it is very informative. I'm not trying to downgrade your intelligence in any way even though that's what it seems. I don't want there to be any hard feelings and maybe this has gone a bit far being the way DMX passes is why I am looking at it the way I am. I would be more then happy to call you and talk if you want.

How do you know my way is wrong, you’re not proving anything to me to prove it either? Not to mention the original post talked about using the end of the DMX chain and not the center tap. Most fixtures the two DMX ports are wired directly to each other with a center tap for the transceiver chip. Most quality fixtures have an isolation circuit to protect the DMX lines from chatter, cheap stuff does not. If you want me to post actual traces and schematics to prove a point, I would be more than happy to spend the time. So don’t tell me I’m wrong when you aren’t providing any hard documentation from anyone just your opinion. Do things the way you want to, it’s not my problem and I’m done with this thread. As far as a system made 20years ago; you want to tell me they don’t put a DMX port in the control booth and on the stage tied to the same universe anymore?? DMX hasn’t really changed in 20 years if you haven’t noticed.

I expressed my view as a consultant that I'd follow the dmx standard. I know it can be disregarded and "usually" still work. I think that is not the best practice which i promise my clients.

I have no need torove anything to you. You have proved to me that I should never approve you as a bidder on a project of mine. Thank you. It might save me time someday.

I have scope shots of corrupted DMX, copies of DMX specs and best practices, schematics of products and I can post that if that will help people reading this. I want a healthy discourse and to work using standards and best practices. Thomas, you can do what you are saying - I never said you couldn't. I did say I wouldn't and that other methods are more sure.

David,

I for one am curious. Can you either post these or PM/email them?

Thanks

David,

I for one am curious. Can you either post these or PM/email them?

Thanks

Here is a shot of a normal DMX signal. The verticals are upright and occur at the same time, and the pulses are equal and opposite. The amplitude shown is quite high due to a short distance of DMX cable.
normal.jpg

Here is an over-terminated DMX signal. In this case, two terminators are enabled on the DMX line and the only real issue here is loss of amplitude. All this really means is that the DMX signal could not be sent as far and/or to as many devices.
overterminated.jpg

This is an un-terminated line. The DMX signal can be a prime contributor to DMX reflections and is easy to recognize due to overshoots. I do not have at hand a reflected signal but will create one soon and post it.
unterminated.jpg

The next shot is from a capacitive system. This is what DMX looks like on a bunch of mic cable. Note the rounded corners, which doesn't look too bad, but in extreme conditions, the timing placement of DMX transitions [the rises and falls of each pulse] changes. When timing changes, DMX no longer becomes DMX and you have flicker or level changes due to frame shifting. In very extreme conditions, this leads to total loss of recognizable data. This is the reason why people say it worked fine in the shop on 150' of cable and then failed in the field at 500'.
capacitive.jpg

This last one is rare but I have talked about it on other posts before. [EDIT by Mod.: http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/moving-light-freakout-terminator-was-the-problem.28635/ ] When someone says that everything worked fine until they placed a terminator on the end of the line, this is one of the reasons that could have caused it. What you are looking at is DMX signal that has a broken Data - wire and termination is on. Data + goes down the line, through the terminator and then back up the Data - line at low amplitude. As soon as that happens, DMX goes away. Yes, many devices can run on DMX + only - that is until the terminator gets added.
data line broken and terminated.jpg

More as soon as I get to it.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back