DMX to AMX/MPX

bradykeen

Hi,
I have a converter that goes from DMX 5 Pin to AMX 4 Pin. I want to use this with my NSI dimmers which run on MPX 3 Pin. I want to know if it is at all possible to simply make a cable that goes from 4 pin to 3 pin.

The pin out for AMX 192 is:
1 - Common
2 - Clock +
3 - Analog
4 - Clock -

As well, could someone provide me with the pin out for MPX 3 Pin.

Thanks!

Bradykeen,

Do NOT do this.

Aside from MPX being quite incompatible with AMX, your NSI dimmers will almost certainly be set to feed 15VDC back up Pin 2 on the cable. If you have an NSI console, this is great. But the port on your converter might survive, or it might not.

The MPX pin-out is
Pin 1: Common
Pin 2: +15V
Pin 3: Analog (data)

So from this you can see the AMX signal simply won't work.

Many NSI dimmers will accept DMX. Otherwise, you can by conversion kits from Leviton/NSI or you can buy protocol converters again from Leviton/NSI or third-party vendors such as ourselves.

Also, be aware there are two flavours of the Microplex protocol. Microplex 1 is typically in NSI gear while Microplex 2 is typically in Lightronics. But not always. And they don't work together - usually.

Robert Armstrong
Pathway Connectivity

FWIW-One of the venues where I am typically runs (2) NSI DDS6000 packs & (2) Lightronics AS-40's (which both operate on microplex) without any issues. In fact, the signal starts as DMX, is converted to MPX by a protocol conveter, and is then sent to the aforementioned dimmer packs.

Early Lightonics gear used an AC voltage on pin 2, I believe it was 18-20 volts. The later versions changed to 15 VDC, the same as NSI. That is the reason that some folks will tell you that NSI and Lightronics work together and why some will say they don't. I got this information from Lightronics chief engineer. I have used both over the years and can confirm that this is true. I don't remember when the change took place. It certainly is easy enough to check which version you have. Just meter between pin 1 and 2.

My fault for being cute.

There are protocol-level differences as well as differences in the console power supplied back up the cable. The NSI/Microplex 1 version provides either 64 or 96 channels of control. The Lightronics/Microplex 2 version provides 128 channels of control. This version was also used by Leprecon. Since most installations from these manufacturers (in my experience) are 48 dimmers or less, channel count limitations don't usually come into play.

However, there are timing variations between the companies, and sometimes between product lines from a single company, which means compatibility is not assured.

Robert Armstrong
Technical Sales
Pathway Connectivity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back