DMX512 w/ 2 ED15’s

Arlen13

I’m new to DMX, so apologies in advance. I recently purchased a DMX controller and two ED15 Dimmer Packs from Eliminator Lighting, in an effort to upgrade my gear from mid 80’s to somewhere in the late 90’s. I enjoy lighting as a hobby, occasionally working with bands or local theatre. I moved to DMX so I could have my board in a position to see what I’m designing, in lieu of the miles of extension cords I now own (my old controller had the 4 channel sliders on the front with the other controls and the lights plugged directly in the back of the unit, no separate dimmer packs, all inclusive).

Anyway, I digress.

My two ED15 dimmer packs have dip switches, which is a whole new world for me and one that I haven’t been able to conquer, even after hours of research and YouTube watching. I can get one dimmer pack to talk to the board, the 4 channels of the dimmer pack into first four sliders of the board. Dimmer pack dip switches are set to ‘on’ at 1, 10(slave), 11(dimmer function, Channels 1&2) and 12 (dimmer function, Channels 3&4). DMX indicator light is blinking green.

I then connect the DMX output on the back of the first ED15 dimmer pack to the DMX input of the second ED15, daisy chain them. I get no DMX indicator light sometimes, other times steady green. I’ve tried all different configurations of the dip switches, to no avail. And when I researched dimmer packs, I was told I didn’t need the stopper or dummy connector plugged into the DMX output of the second dimmer pack, like some systems need. I know the second ED15 works because I’ve switched it with first one and it works the same as I’ve described above.

I’m not getting a connection between the two dimmer packs and only one talks to the board.

The YouTubes I’ve watched all deal with individual DMX lights, not dimmer packs, so am I right in assuming that each dimmer pack itself gets an address, i.e. one address for the pack, not 4 individual addresses, one for each channel.

I think all I need is an address for the second ED15 so it could become sliders 5-8 on the board. And to verify the address I have set for the first one will work to daisy chain the second.

I’m confident that once I get these two dimmer packs hooked into the controller, I’ll figure out all the bells and whistles of the Controller and start creating.

Thanks in advance.

According to the ED15 manual, you should NOT set either pack to SLAVE for DMX operation; it is only for Audio or Auto modes, so set switch 10 to OFF (down) on both packs. Then set the DMX address to a value of 5 on the second pack to get it to respond to sliders 5-8. Do this by setting DIP switches 1 and 3 to ON (up).
This adds the value of 1 (switch 1) and 4 (switch 3) to equal 5. As you note, switches 11 and 12 should be ON (up) to get dimming action. Only address switch 1 ON for pack one to give it an address of 1.

Thanks...here’s what happened. BTW, I couldn’t get anything to work with switch 10 off.
ED15-2 is connected to ED15-1 and ED15-1 is connected to the board.
ED15-2, switches 1, 3, 10-12 on, I get sliders 5-8 on the board.
ED15-1, switches 1, 10-12 on...no DMX indicator light, all 4 channel lights and power light is on. I plug into channel 1, turn scanner 1 or 2 on, move slider 1 or press 1, nothing.
ED15-1 is not responding, and that’s the one connected to the board. Even when I turn off ED15-1, sliders 5-8 work thru ED15-2.
ED15-1 turned off then on, switches 1, 11, 12 on, I get channels 1-4 lit, power lit, no DMX indicator.
- Light plugged into Channel 1 comes on for about 15 seconds, then goes off. Nothing on sliders 1-4.
ED15-1 turned off and on, with 1, 10, 11, 12 on, same as above.
I know it’s something simple, but I just can’t figure it out.
I appreciate your response, I’ll keep working on it.

Everything on the left needs to be off.

Dimmer 1 : 1 , 11 , 12 on everything else off

Dimmer 2 : 1 , 3 , 11 , 12 on everything else off.
EB1D3A94-5946-4602-90E1-4FFF3A6071C5.png

The user manual.

http://cdb.s3.amazonaws.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10607/ed15.pdf

It’s pretty straight forward. So if it’s not working then you should look at your DMX cables. Make sure you are using dmx and not mic cable.

Also throw a terminator in there if ya got one.

Also if you are trying to power more than what this pack can handle you might of blown a fuse.

Which looks like these have internal fuses and not a external ones so if that’s the case you might as well update the triacs if your fixtures are blowing fuses.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to hat latter part of what I said.

Is the controller a DMX DJ? It has a DMX polarity switch due to the non-standard, 3 pin connector. The switch needs to be set to pin 3 = data +

Amiers has explained how to set the dimmers to respond to channels 1-8. I just glanced through the DMX DJ manual and it looks like the faders do not control directly control channels. They control scenes. You'll have to program a scene for a fader before the console will output any commands to the dimmers.

Everything on the left needs to be off.

Dimmer 1 : 1 , 11 , 12 on everything else off

Dimmer 2 : 1 , 3 , 11 , 12 on everything else off.
View attachment 16522

The user manual.

http://cdb.s3.amazonaws.com/ItemRelatedFiles/10607/ed15.pdf

It’s pretty straight forward. So if it’s not working then you should look at your DMX cables. Make sure you are using dmx and not mic cable.

Also throw a terminator in there if ya got one.

Also if you are trying to power more than what this pack can handle you might of blown a fuse.

Which looks like these have internal fuses and not a external ones so if that’s the case you might as well update the triacs if your fixtures are blowing fuses.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to hat latter part of what I said.

thanks...I just spent an hour typing my response only for it to be deleted...not having much luck, to say the least.
ED15-1 is programmable into the board with switches 1, 10-12 for sliders 1-4 and switches 1, 3, 10-12 for sliders 5-8. 10 has to be on, or cannot program.
ED15-2 is not talking to the board at all, in any switch configuration. Whether connected directly with no ED15-1, connected directly with ED15-1 daisy chained or daisy chained with ED15-1 connected directly to the board, there is no communication with the board. When powered up, power indicator is lit, as are channels 1-4, but no DMX indicator. When power to the dimmer is toggled off/on, light plugged into any channel will come on and stay on the same amount of time as the power was off.
Perhaps I inadvertently changed a setting on ED15-2 when I was troubleshooting? So frustrating...

Well it sounds like 2 is DOA.

If you have to put them in slave mode then something isn’t right.

As per the manual slave only relates to the dip switches on the left when you want to daisy chain them together.

Take ED 1 and 2 and hook them up master /slave with the programming to test. You might have a bad dmx board or something wrong with a solder joint.

Like I said these are rocket science appliances so if you are using common sense and it’s not working it’s the product not you. This is one of those you get what you pay for situations.

Spoke with Eliminator...after a couple of over the phone attempts, they determined the unit was defective and will replace it. By the way, they had me switch the Slave (#10) to on, so 1, 10-12 on, which worked for ED15-1, but the same set up would not work for ED15-2. And he wanted me to set them both to Slave. The saga continues...

Tell them you want 2 for the inconvience and to make better dimmers. Lol.

Did you state which controller you are using? I have read though and could not find it. So either I am blind like @RonHebbard or this info is missing. I do hope you get this stuff sorted out because it is frustrating when things don't work
Regards
Geoff

Did you state which controller you are using? I have read though and could not find it. So either I am blind like @RonHebbard or this info is missing. I do hope you get this stuff sorted out because it is frustrating when things don't work
Regards
Geoff
Thanks Geoff...I’m using a DMX512. Eliminator determined the unit is defective and replacing it free of charge. Should get the replacement tomw. I’m hopeful that will do it.

Got my replacement ED15 from Eliminator Lighting via Amazon and all is working properly. I was able to daisy chain the two ED15’s into the DMX512 and get all the channels working separately. Now, on to the DMX512 and see what havoc I can create. Don’t we all love happy endings? Thanks for all your help...what a great community...looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from you all.

No problem. Make some money and save up for some better quality dimmers and keep these around for emergencies.

Also if they require you to put it in slave mode you should recommend to them to edit their user manual to reflect that. As it is not common practice to have a master/slave setup with DMX mode on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back