Dumb question about etc express

Doowop63

My dumb question is...what is the sequence for shutting the board down? Haven't done lighting in a long time, and can't remember. Board off then building control on or opposite?

Either should be fine, though if by building control, you mean the panic control on the house lights, you should probably turn it on first unless you want to be left in the dark.

You could also turn on House before turning off the board, then turn the fader off, then activate the building control.

Express does not have a specified shutdown procedure. Bring GrandMaster to zero first before power down, as your dimmers will freeze in their last position.

Since you need to bring down GM, you'd want to transfer house to building control first.

My dumb question is...what is the sequence for shutting the board down? Haven't done lighting in a long time, and can't remember. Board off then building control on or opposite?
Depending on what you have connected, in some venues, I use a macro to unpark relays and go to cue 1 (a black out). Then wait 15 seconds and turn power off. Most models will shut off monitors when it powrs down.
Others I just hit cue 1 go, then power off.
Why cue 1. On those boards there's not a cue out or cue 0 to bring intensity down. So out of old habit I have a blank that is also useful fo other thing. The black out slider or switch, if left off, may confuse another user. Whereas it will always start back up on and in cue 1.

If you are still using an express, I have one extra step:

SAVE THE SHOW BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN!

I have lost 3 shows in several different venues with different expresses (expressi?) in the past year or two. One time it was that I forgot to turn off a fixture, so flipped off then back on a moment later and... the board totally froze. And everything was gone. That was quite the long night remembering the lights for 60 dance numbers I did on the fly and recorded all that day.

So, just because I've been burned too many times, if I use one, I have a couple floppies and save often, save well.

Otherwise, yes, transfer control to the house. Some dimmers keep their last dmx levels permanently. Some release after 5 minutes, some X minutes, etc. Better to just have it so everything is under the control it needs to be with the board off already before you shut down.

Cryo, funny you should say that as I just did the same thing last night! But thank you for the reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back