DVD's (Suggestions)

Wolf

I am a lighting design student. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of DVD/ VHS that shows good lighting and not just close-ups on performers. I am mainly thinking of concert lighting rather than stage lighting for buying videos. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Wolf. First of all welcome to Control booth.

About your question.

The first thing that I want to say is good lighting in general at least to most of us lighting designers is relative. We all have are own definitions of good lighting.

But in general there are many good DVD's out that feature "good" lighting.

Some dvd's that I have in my collection or recommend:

Blue Man Group: How to be a megastar live.
Celine Dion: Live in Las Vegas.

One thing that I would recommend for you as a student designer, is read all the trade magazines, (PLSN, Live Design, Light and Sound America) and look at the articles that are every now and again about a certain tour etc.

Also if you have the opportunity to, go to concerts in different venues, you will see many different light rigs, many different ways of doing a show and you may get ideas that you like for your designs in the future.

:cool:

Last edited:
Pink Floyd Pulse is on the top of my list it's a bit old but the best for its time and still is today.

Wolf PM me if you want a list

Pink Floyd "Pulse Tour" FTW!!!

I also like PBS' "Legends of Jazz" series. It's a great intimate setting, lots of gobos and structural patterns, flawless transitions between music and interviews. It's definitely inspired some ideas in me about structural lighting.

Unlike scenery or costumes, stage lighting is ephemeral and exists only during the live performance. As such it cannot be captured on film or video.

Wolf, I propose the notion that the only way to learn lighting is to experience it in person, by watching someone more experienced of by doing it oneself. With the latter, one runs the risk os teaching oneself bad lighting, but hopefully there'll be a director or producer who will let you know if the lighting is not to their liking.

That being said, if you're thinking of primarily of theatre lighting, the 62nd Annual Tony Awards will air tonight, Sunday, 06/15, 8pm-11pm EDT, on CBS from Radio City Music Hall. Sometimes the lighting for a performance will involve the original Lighting Designer working within the confines of the broadcast plot, other times the TV lighting people will recreate and translate the mood for TV as best they can.

If you have a blockbuster or netflix account, just start putting in artist names. I have everyone from Godsmack to Back Street Boys on my queue, and I watch them all. Some aren't even concert footage, but you still never know where the next idea comes from. I hear Robbie Williams has a huge stage show (he's big in Europe) but I haven't seen it. It's one of those things you need to just keep after since the business is always changing.

And Derek is right, seeing a show live is WAY better than seeing the exact same show on tv.

I remember watching a video of 3 Doors Down about a year ago in a Best Buy. They had it playing in one of the rooms on a flatscreen with surround sound. It looked and sounded awesome. I might pick this up right now too.

3 Doows Down - Away From The Sun - Live Concert

Also check out Nickelback - Live at Home. I haven't seen it, but it could be good for lighting.

Both of those concerts DVD’s have a great light show.

Last edited:
It seems to me some of the best things about concert lighting are the subtle things that happen in low light conditions that the camera will never pick up. So the best thing you can do is go to major concerts for you education! :dance:

Keep in mind though that sometimes lighting is changed when the concert is being taped.

I don't know that this is the case in any of the above examples (in fact I would put money that the Pink Floyd stuff isn't changed since they want you to focus on the show and not them anyway. That's why Gilmour is sometimes lost in washes).

Live shows are always the best. It's amazing the things that don't read on camera or aren't "important" enough for the video director or editor to put in.

Keep in mind though that sometimes lighting is changed when the concert is being taped.

I used to hate that! Generally, we would clear/frost about 10 of the front pars whenever a video shoot was scheduled. So much for any chance of a subtle lighting effect. As a concert LD, lighting was all about adding dimensions to the performance. With the white wash, the stage became very two dimensional. At least these days, cameras are a bit more tolerant.

Unlike scenery or costumes, stage lighting is ephemeral and exists only during the live performance. As such it cannot be captured on film or video.

Wolf, I propose the notion that the only way to learn lighting is to experience it in person, by watching someone more experienced of by doing it oneself. With the latter, one runs the risk os teaching oneself bad lighting, but hopefully there'll be a director or producer who will let you know if the lighting is not to their liking.

That being said, if you're thinking of primarily of theatre lighting, the 62nd Annual Tony Awards will air tonight, Sunday, 06/15, 8pm-11pm EDT, on CBS from Radio City Music Hall. Sometimes the lighting for a performance will involve the original Lighting Designer working within the confines of the broadcast plot, other times the TV lighting people will recreate and translate the mood for TV as best they can.

Grammar Huh? Just joshing ya, but there are a few mistakes here! Moreover, You make the most valid point yet on this thread. Agreed!

jb

Last edited:
I recently purchased the DVD 3 disc set for "Genesis: When in Rome (2008)". The third DVD is titled "Rain or Shine". I'm not sure if it comes standard or if it's a bonus that only comes when purchased through certain dealers (I got mine at Sam's Club for $19... Walmart should have the same package).

So first off, fan or not you are going to love the lighting on the concert... one of the largest most expensive rigs ever sent out on tour (perhaps THE largest). So the video of the concert is great. However the "Rain or Shine" special dvd documents the preparations for the tour. About 20 minutes in they start having meetings about the design of the rig, the video package, you get all kinds of behind the scenes stuff of the poor guy hired 3 days before the tour starts trying to learn the cues for the video. Best of all is Phil Collins' obsessive search for the right stool to drum on in the show. :rolleyes: Then they take it on the road and there's a bunch of interesting video of them trying to prepare for an outdoor concert with a thunder storm in the area. The carnage of repairing gear on the road after two days of rain. Cool stuff. I would say more than half of the two hour video is a great behind the scenes look at how a major concert tour goes together... the other half is mostly retrospective on the band which will probably annoy those who aren't fans.

Two thumbs up!

im a big fan of Incubus's "Alive at Red Rock"

Rock videos with good lighting?

Anyone have any favorite DVDs with interesting lighting? I'm looking for high school appropriate bands, and unfortunately most of my collection is...not. I would love to have videos to use as examples, make up assignments, or stuff for subs to show when I'm gone. I know there's great stuff online, but most of it is blocked at the school, and well, Amazon is cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back