Dynamic Scene Projection System

I am designing a theater for a small charter school and as part of the design, I have been asked to design a Scene projection system for the rear of the stage. My stage is 20' by 40' behind the curtain and 26' high to the structural steel. My threshold opening is 23' by 16' high.

I do not have any real experience in this type of system and was wondering if the community had any ideas or experience that they have seen like what types of projectors, front or rear projection, materials and the like. As always, it is a school with a limited budget.

Thanks in advance.

Simply put, you aren't projecting 20' by 40' on a limited budget. Projections cost a pretty penny. With front projection you have to overcome stage lighting to make your projections have any use, but you get to project on anything and everything you want to within throw distance of the projector and with rear projection you have to have a good enough throw distance or a narrow lens for the entire span, else you are looking at stacks of multiple projectors -- at the expense of losing whatever upstage crossover you have -- not to mention that you are tied into one single projection surface.

I have noticed your other post about designing a new theater. Two things, first - hop on over to the new member boards and say hey with a little about your background and 2 - you may want to look into having some professionals assist the design, so you get both the best bang for your buck and so you have an entirely safe, practical, and educational rig for the students to use and learn on to better prepare them for working in theater.

You're probably not going to save any money with a projection system. To do it right, it will cost a lot. Someone will still have to design the projections unique to each production with software and a computer.
As others have said, it will require much more attention to the lighting system design as well.

Dealing with a mega church turned school auditorium right now. Their mindset was, "We already have the projection screens, we might as well just get new projectors. It'll make everything easier."

Two months later, the budget for the entire project was shot, haven't even touched the lights or sound yet, and the projectors have been used for one event in two months. Like kicknargel said, they're just one tool in the box. Not to mention your cost when one of the lamps goes out. Where's that money going to come from?

...I have been asked to design a Scene projection system for the rear of the stage.

Does this mean that they've asked you to find a way to project from the front that ends up on a screen upstage, or that they'd like a way to rear-project onto a screen closer to the proscenium? I suspect the former, but just wanted to check.

With a 20' depth I'm not sure how you'd achieve the latter and still have room for more than an "In 1" scene!

If the former, everyone involved in your project understands that without some crazy angles and *very* good keystoning ($$$$), you will see the shadows of the actors (if from below the proscenium - in the house, for example) or the shadows of battens/electrics (if from behind the proscenium), right?

It can be a cool effect if done intentionally, but may not be what everyone is picturing for every show.

HTH,
Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
I am designing a theater for a small charter school and as part of the design, I have been asked to design a Scene projection system for the rear of the stage. My stage is 20' by 40' behind the curtain and 26' high to the structural steel. My threshold proscenium opening is 23' by 16' high.

I do not have any real experience in this type of system and was wondering if the community had any ideas or experience that they have seen like what types of projectors, front or rear projection, materials and the like. As always, it is a school with a limited budget.

Thanks in advance.

First off, projection is more than a projector and a screen. It will be an entire system. Your question is akin to saying, "I'd like to add lighting to my theater, what do I need?" However, this is not to say that we can't help you.

As with the warnings from the other members, this has the makings of a very expensive project. We can make suggestions as to what is required and you can determine what your budget can afford. Hiring a contractor will save you many headaches from not being experienced as there will be unique challenges that will not seem logical without really understanding everything that is going on. This is more than a simple question you are asking.

The biggest challenge that you are facing with projected scenery is competing with other light. There are many other challenges as has been mentioned, including projector placement, throw distance, obstacles, projection surface, distribution, ad naseum. Ultimately, the biggest thing that matters is that your audience can see what you want them to see. There's a lot of science to that beyond the artistic desires of the production.

If you know how you plan on using the system, where you want to control it from (and where content will come from), then we can start the process. Get a budget in mind as well. If this is a charter or private school that has a more simple purchasing process, you may want to consider purchasing used equipment. You won't have the latest and greatest, but you will save a ton of money while you learn.

If you commit to a projection system, then you are also committing the space to a hardware and software upgrade routine every 3-5 years. Does the facility have the budget to be upgrading software and computers on that schedule to keep the space working as intended? Not to mention projectors ever 5-10 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back