Vintage Lighting Ebay: Take a look at these bad boys!!!

First one, way over my price range for what it is. A lot of work needed and no matter how old, my budget is like $25.00 no matter the way huge.

All over the second one - one I don't have yet as interesting and different brand than Kliegl or Capitol I so far have quite a few of and would trade for if needed - re-wired veres as is if bought... bid on, fair game but up to my above value or - "have to discuss this with Wifie above that limit" threshold for me and probably would wait on other stuff afterwards.

Amazing, I was just on E-Bay tonight in looking for another fixture. Checked all kinds of sets and spellings of words and combinations in pulling up a lot of gear. Nothing for sale for interest before now. The heck listed this stage lighting fixture how he/she did? Didn't check "Vintage Stage Light" as it were Will have expected that "stage lighting" will have been sufficient - but perhaps in searching I need to refine further or go all thru the "lighting" part with hundreds of listsings. Will have also thought "Lighting" as opposed to light will have gotten me there.... Theater Lighting verses Theatre Lighting etc. in search.

Miss out on lots I think just by words in search used perhaps. This whole "Vintage" word seems to open up more than what I saw tonight. Still though, unless wired by me... something like $250 thru over $600.00 unless I wired and serviced it... not in my budget or even interest for me. Old perhaps yep, but not worth it I think even by me in the upper bracket. (Me as a known quantiy for having wired it - not always agree with me in having done so but perhaps agreed that I would pay attention to the detail and it would be safe.) At like over $600.00 per E-Bay fixture, often asbestos or gotta be too rich for your britches in affording one I think.

Last edited:
Yep, those old ellipsoidals are way overpriced. Probably some vintage collector thinking that just because they're old they're valuable.

The second light, have at it. I figured it would be right up your alley :)

Oh, and I found this by searching "vintage stage light". There's also an 18" beam projector up for $45 starting, 0 bids but still 5 days out if anyone's interested.

Don't ya just hate weeding through all the DJ and car headlights trying to find those rare pieces?? I know I do.

Yep, those old ellipsoidals are way overpriced. Probably some vintage collector thinking that just because they're old they're valuable.

Oh, and I found this by searching "vintage stage light". There's also an 18" beam projector up for $45 starting, 0 bids but still 5 days out if anyone's interested.

Don't ya just hate weeding through all the DJ and car headlights trying to find those rare pieces?? I know I do.

That and books I already have, no interest in, or would but not overall wanting... sure but not bothered by them much as my mouse scrolls well thru what not interested in. Just wish on a search I could find what you often do as well.

Adventure in what I might find. Side note, my collection is out of space at the moment and working on a TBA future for where located and how presented. Small fixtures I can fit but big ones... no room this especially given I'm making the home built fixtures these days out of 1929 Fuchs. Just brought the first of them to work today - a bunch light, and cool, photos TBA. AT the moment I'm mostly at least out of the old fixture market and into the building them mode. A list of fixtures from the catalogue I want to build in either full or 1/4 size scale including strip lights.

Browseing by only used and unspecified items usually helps clean up the results and the unspecified tab is really unnessesary. Besisdes 99.99% of anything new on ebay is the same or near msrp.

We have a couple of those big ones up (or something similar) in the abandoned school auditorium across the street, probably from when the place was built in the 1930's. The way the auditorium is built, the fixtures are actually above the ceiling of the auditorium in small coves. The good thing about the way it was designed is that when you wanted to change house lights, you just had to take the ladder up backstage closet and you could get above the ceiling, then take some walkways to get to the fixtures and you could replace every lamp by getting to the houselight fixtures from above. Sort of wish more places were designed like that, because almost every theatre I've been in has complaints and greivances about replacing their house lights.

Anyways, the fixtures will rot up there because they're huge. Navigating the walkways (which are entangled with structural supports for the roof) is bad enough. Lots of climbing over and under structural supports to get from one end of a walkway to another. I considered hauling those fixtures out last year when I found them, but I'd probably end up killing myself in the process.

Too bad the seller has over-priced the Lekolites, as those are probably the oldest Century units I've ever seen.

We have a couple of those big ones up (or something similar) in the abandoned school auditorium across the street, probably from when the place was built in the 1930's. The way the auditorium is built, the fixtures are actually above the ceiling of the auditorium in small coves. The good thing about the way it was designed is that when you wanted to change house lights, you just had to take the ladder up backstage closet and you could get above the ceiling, then take some walkways to get to the fixtures and you could replace every lamp by getting to the houselight fixtures from above. Sort of wish more places were designed like that, because almost every theatre I've been in has complaints and greivances about replacing their house lights.

Anyways, the fixtures will rot up there because they're huge. Navigating the walkways (which are entangled with structural supports for the roof) is bad enough. Lots of climbing over and under structural supports to get from one end of a walkway to another. I considered hauling those fixtures out last year when I found them, but I'd probably end up killing myself in the process.

Any chance of lowering with a rope instead of over hill, over dale?

Nope. The holes that the lights shine out of are only large enough for the ends of the lights. The extremely large reflector housings don't fit through them, so you have to lug them all the way through the obstacle course that is the ceiling, then once you get to the ladder down to safety, then you can rig up some way to lower it down the ladder you came in on. Still have to traverse the maze of duct work and structural beams though.

Remember, you could make an offer within the final few hours and see what happens. These sure would look cool with a nice wrinkle finish paint job.

Too bad -- at least one of them appears incomplete (without a lens tube).

Nope. The holes that the lights shine out of are only large enough for the ends of the lights. The extremely large reflector housings don't fit through them, so you have to lug them all the way through the obstacle course that is the ceiling, then once you get to the ladder down to safety, then you can rig up some way to lower it down the ladder you came in on. Still have to traverse the maze of duct work and structural beams though.

Sounds like a job for a diamond bladed chainsaw and an oxy-gas torch. You said the place was abandoned, right? I know some urban exploring types with the right gear for the job.

Sounds like a job for a diamond bladed chainsaw and an oxy-gas torch. You said the place was abandoned, right? I know some urban exploring types with the right gear for the job.

I noted in some study of the Kliegl website, that some fixtures were designed for perminant install applications. They often would take a lot of work to make what we would expect to see for a light. Similar but not the same. Work that can be done on the other hand. Agreed in seeing what the owners would wish to get rid of in even splitting the profit. If local to me, I'll train you and provide materials in getting the conversion done. Otherwise, overall showing some of the pricing such fixtures are sold for but stating that such fixtures are probably only for the rich to buy when they want, and providing a more realistic price for them still could make a sale. Say 50/50 should be sufficient to catch their interest.

The above expensive fixture probably has not seen a service call in 30 years at best. Them that buy it could afford such an overhaul, on the other hand in havin too much money probably would not think of such a thing. On the other hand, I have noted some chromed lighting fixtures over the years at which point they will have been re-wired. To what extent and care that was done about the same. Often them with too much money that might buy such a thing, are way to lack of technical about what they buy.

Oldest ever Leko... perhaps. Until I get corporate credit card in buying more gear... I have what I have and can afford or trade for. For what I have, it's a very respectable collection by way of trades, what came from my last theater, purchases, others at work contributing, and what work had in its bone yard. Traded a Altman 360Q 6x16 a few months ago to a local comunity theater. It was fixed up for mint condition and even with iris. Reminded the ME of it this past week given I have a college lighting class coming in for a tour this coming weekend, you were looking for one of the old I think origional Altman radial or possibly Century Lekos in exchange for it correct? Already worked on their inventory for free so I know what they have.. Waiting on delivery of another fixture to my inventory still.

Prefer the barter system to sales.

My last theater got some seats and lights out of a closed down theater - the Uptown in Chicago. Still have the 1948 series Century 8x10's from that theater. A good home for them and I used them a lot over the years. Beyond that, tales of another theatere I worked for in employees repelling into a stage house that had been walled off on the corner of Lincoln / Ashland / and Belmont. Used to be a theater there. The house was walled off and built into condos, the stage still existed for years in being walled off with no enterence other than from the roof. That adventure of repelling in by flash light between the old drops is an experience I'm sorry that I missed. Those on-site, got riging equipment an no old stage lights out of the place. After their visit, the place was demolished.

Right up my alley! Unfortunately, this particular alley is a few hundred miles from home for me. Ahhh well!

Right up my alley! Unfortunately, this particular alley is a few hundred miles from home for me. Ahhh well!

Totally the same issue. Otherwise I would be driving up there right now to cut these things out!

There's an abandoned arena one near me that is almost certainly going to be demolished and has a bunch of gear that I would love to get, however they're pretty good at security there :-(. And getting the line arrays down (which is the main thing we'd be after) would require way too much equipment to sneak in unnoticed...

There's an abandoned arena one near me that is almost certainly going to be demolished and has a bunch of gear that I would love to get, however they're pretty good at security there :-(. And getting the line arrays down (which is the main thing we'd be after) would require way too much equipment to sneak in unnoticed...

Those old Altec Lansing multicell horns go for about $500-$800 on ebay, usually WITHOUT the drivers!

Last edited:

I watched Misson Impossible, How hard can it be to foil the security? ;-)

I watched Misson Impossible, How hard can it be to foil the security? ;-)

I know this will not be taken well - but there are a lot of younger members on this board so I will say it.

The presence of security tells you it belongs to someone and removing it without the owners permission places you in a situation you do not want to be in. You should not need security people to tell you that anyway. Just because something appears abandoned does not make it a free for all. If you get caught then you will find little support for your view.

I know this will not be taken well - but there are a lot of younger members on this board so I will say it.

The presence of security tells you it belongs to someone and removing it without the owners permission places you in a situation you do not want to be in. You should not need security people to tell you that anyway. Just because something appears abandoned does not make it a free for all. If you get caught then you will find little support for your view.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, dont actually do this. I was just having some fun with it, but obviously dont take crap thats not yours. People have enough expense replacing broken or old stuff without having to deal with taking things that are not free for the taking, plus you can get in a ton of trouble, what with all the copper theft thats really common right now. My personal thing is if I end up using any of my breaching tools on an abandoned building, it is to get out and not in (this is more of a problem in assylums and whatnot that often have doors that might lock behind you, thus trapping you in. At this point, out come the sledge and breaker bar). I have no issue with urban exploring, and it can be fun and rewarding, and yes, the risk of cops catching you makes it a rush. But there is a lot of risk, and obviously going and cutting things with a chainsaw and/or torch in an abandoned structure without a structural engineer is a poor decision. Plus, it ruins it for the rest of us when we come through. I kind of view it as the same sort of principal as LNT, take only photos and leave only footprints.

Just so you guys know, this beam projector is sitting at $18.00 with zero bids. Looks like a very nice light! I would bid, but I have other purchases lined up. Shipping seams reasonable. It shows $45 for me and I'm in Texas. It apparently needs a new whip wired up, but that's nothing really.

Large Vintage Theater Stage Light Fixture 18" Diameter - eBay (item 310286765642 end time Jan-16-11 19:12:15 PST)

Not to say I won't change my mind and start competing with you guys if anyone decides to bid... ;) I really want this thing. Actually, I want ten!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back