Control/Dimming EDI Mark VII Dimmer Modules

Re: EDI Mrk Vii

Dimmer.com would be the guys to talk to. I have a EDI packs that use the exact same parts as a CD80 pack. I am going to guess that your dimmers are the same. The only thing that can really break on them is a power cube and those are easy to replace and readily available. Having an extra control module would be nice, but people do have these in stock and people can repair them.

My old high school (Eastlake High School, for gafftaper and anyone else familiar with the Seattle area) has an EDI Mark VII dimmer rack. Because the modules for these racks are no longer made, and we already have at least one module which has gone bad, the theatre manager asked me to see if the CB community might have any modules for this rack.

Thanks!

My old high school (Eastlake High School, for gafftaper and anyone else familiar with the Seattle area) has an EDI Mark VII dimmer rack. Because the modules for these racks are no longer made, and we already have at least one module which has gone bad, the theatre manager asked me to see if the CB community might have any modules for this rack.

Thanks!

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/18825-edi-mrk-vii.html

Can always be repaired, they made the module but not the parts inside it like most dimmers. You can always pretty much get parts and get them repaired.

Have you tried giving PNTA a call and seeing if they can repair it? I would be surprised if they said they could not do so.

( 206 ) 622 7850

For those not in the Seattle area, PNTA is the largest theatrical supply house in the area and will repair almost anything.

EDI is not out of business, they were bought out by Cooper Controls. Here is their website:
Zero 88

EDI MK VII dimmer modules, consist of very few parts, and almost all of them are easily replaceable. I even built one of my own modules, from sheet aluminum and surplus parts, that I had around. The difficult part to come by is the connector in the center of the main connector assembly. It deals with the control voltages, and was very popular 35 years ago. Even though the module design is not that old, they used a connector that had been around for a long time. The only other parts are Solid State Relays, (SSR) choke coils and breaker switches. EDI even changed the models and manufactures of the breakers over the years. MY rack has at least three different model breakers, as our modules were purchased at different times.
While it is possible, it is very unlikely that either a choke or breaker would fail. The all to common problem is the SSR. While the breaker will protect the SSR from overload, sometimes a dead short will take out the SSR faster than the breaker can react. Dead shorts are usually from cables that are not maintained properly. When a lamp blows out, the filament will sometimes create a dead short for a moment, just enough to kill the SSR, and too quick for the breaker.
The solid state relays in the EDI MK VII module are a 40 amp dual random or non-zero crossing. Most are manufactured by Crydom or a direct copy by other manufactures. The number is printed on the top of the SSR. You can do a search on several electronics suppliers sites, using that exact number, and they will come up. They range from about $56 to $70 from component suppliers or dimmer manufactures sell them for around $100. Replacing them is an all mechanical process, requiring a phillips screwdriver and a pliar.
The last time I looked, which was a while ago, Digikey had the lowest price. Although you might check Mouser.com as well.

The part # is 40DR2D and they are also used in older Teatronic and LMI dimmers, plus I'm pretty sure several others.

Your school electrician should be able to change the part. Don't make the repair if you have not done it before or if you don't have adult supervision from a qualified electrician.

Thanks for the suggestions on repairs. I have previously checked for information on CB regarding repair for these dimmers. I have no doubt that PNTA can help find the correct parts and I have the electrical skills to do the repair. My hope was that at least one spare module could be located, as in a high school situation, the ability to do the electrical repairs doesn't exist. Not safe, and certainly not something a high school student should do!

Thanks, all.

Which modules were you looking for? I do have a few Quad 1.8kW's in stock. All other versions are gone from the factory from I can tell. If you have the Dual 2.4kW modules, you can use the same one at the Strand CD80SV 2x2.4kW dimmer. Makes it handy for me on knowing what to stock for SSR's. If you want the factory to do any repairs insterad of sending it out, the factory direct number is 503-645-5533. Press 1 for customer service and speak with Debbie. The 800 number goes to Cooper.

Well, I would be pretty interested (read: desparate) to know who has Multi-Link modules in stock and can replace them, as one of mine has gone belly-up again. Any hints?

I know this is a really old thread, my apologies.

I have a used multi-link in-stock as well as several modules.
The unit is definitely showing it's age but I believe it works properly.

If you're still looking for one please feel free to email me off list at [email protected]

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back