Elation Trio 1248 Console

Hello Forum friends. I posted the following on the Elation support forum, but thought it was at least worth a try posting here as well in case I can get a quicker and/or clearer response than I get from there. Thanks in advance!

Hello, I am a middle school drama teacher. I recently purchased the 1248 to program and run the cues in my small theater. I have 3 elation Joy-300 moving lights and 30 or so conventional fixtures. I have finally, after many hours, at least figured out how to control all my lights manually.

But, I cannot begin to understand how to program the board to run my cues in sequence. The manual included in the box is a joke. Whoever is responsible for that ought to be embarrassed. At least the one posted on your site is written by someone who speaks english, but it still leaves much unexplained.

I have three main questions. I would really appreciate a clear response so I can move forward. First, is there a way to control a conventional light with a DMX address of 49 or higher? Second, is there a way to add the state of a moving light to a Submaster, so that the conventionals and the MLs all move from one submaster 'look' to another with all at once. Finally, what is the simplest way to progress through a sequence of cues. I probably have about 80 cues for the show I am preparing for, and the only way I have done it is by programming each cue into a submaster, then using the 'preset A/B' sliders to go from one to the next. It seems like a lot of unnecessary movement of the faders; can't I just tap the bump buttons like I've done with much less robust (and cheaper) boards? What if I accidentally miss a cue or forget to change to the next page of submasters, how do I quickly move to the submaster I want?

Again, I will appreciate any help you can give. If it simply can't do what I'm trying to do, please let me know so I can get the right board for my needs in time for my show which opens 5/20. Thanks!

Do not get a Chamsys setup. I happen to think that Chamsys is the best lighting controller on the market but learning it is not easy and if the OP was struggling to pickup how to operate the Elation, they are going to struggle with big time with MagicQ. The SmartFade ML might be a good choice though it is much more expensive than the Elations so it might not be within their budget.

Do not get a Chamsys setup. I happen to think that Chamsys is the best lighting controller on the market but learning it is not easy and if the OP was struggling to pickup how to operate the Elation, they are going to struggle with big time with MagicQ.

The things the OP specifically stated having difficulty with the Elation (addressing conventional dimmers beyond 48 & poor documentation) should not be issues with MagicQ. Certainly the OP should download and evaluate the software before ordering the dongle.

While it is completely true that they mentioned those as points of difficulty and Chamsys is great in both those areas, it is still one of the steeper learning curves for people lacking prior experience with similar platforms (Hog, GMA, etc), especially in the absence of one of the wings or the full board. I think it is probably a safe bet that a middle school drama teacher doesn't have prior experience on one of those $20k+ boards. They should give Chamsys a go by all means but Chamsys's manual assumes that the user comes in with a baseline level of programming knowledge. If you don't already know what HTP/LTP, Tracking, etc are the manual is going to be pretty confusing.

To the OP, if you do want to try out Chamsys, check out ETC's bobblehead fred video on tracking and their descriptions of programming terminology first. Also, check out the Chamsys video tutorials on YouTube once they finally get them out the door (any day now).

With your console do you have the latest version of software installed. It has been a while since I touched one but if I remember correctly the console is quite powerful just not always easy to navigate but first thing make sure you have the latest software which can be downloaded off of elationlighting.com then click on support than downloads. Also go to the manuals section and read the copy they have on there it may be newer and better written.

I don't know why people are talking about buying something different when you are asking about a particular console you already own. Please stay on topic.

With your console do you have the latest version of software installed. It has been a while since I touched one but if I remember correctly the console is quite powerful just not always easy to navigate but first thing make sure you have the latest software which can be downloaded off of elationlighting.com then click on support than downloads. Also go to the manuals section and read the copy they have on there it may be newer and better written.

I don't know why people are talking about buying something different when you are asking about a particular console you already own. Please stay on topic.

Because it seems that without creating a relatively complicated mess of a system of recording memories and Submasters and playing them back manually, there is no STACK, unlike the SmartFade ML series console that offers one, and the Magic Q software that offers many. And the OP did ask if it couldn't do what they asked, for a recommendation on a replacement. If it can not play back actual cues in series, which I saw no way in the manual of doing (FX comes close, but runs on it's own once go is pressed, meaning complicated timing), then it can not do what they wish. Even an used Express 24/48 would be better with it's 96 control channels at programming 1-4 moving mirrors, like the Joy 300's are, if the correct profile was made in Expression Offline (which is NOT very difficult to do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back