Electrical Knowhow [Newbie Nate’s Question of the Day]

Just try to stay focused and tuned to the experts mood, don't hesitate to apologize, and express appreciation
ThIs is a piece of advice I’ve gotten so frequently that I’ve put it on a sticky on my office bulletin board. Thanks for adding even more weight to it, it’s good advice and good practice in general.

about right after Tesla and Westinghouse perfected A.C. power distribution.
You should talk to my TD. He claims to have invented dirt, so I imagine it’d be a very impressive conversation!

Recognise that not everyone who talks like an expert is actually an expert. Figure out who you can trust and who to take with a grain of salt.
Slowly learning this; in my personal opinion, it’s not becoming this that is important for me. I’m very susceptible to ego swings, so I have to make sure not to come across as an expert in areas I am not.

don't fall into the trap of "we've always done it this way.
That got kicked out of me by my theatre ME. Quite literally kicked. *cough*

The book's a bit old, depending on what edition you get, Nate, but check eBay and Amazon for a paper copy of "Practical Electrical Wiring"

Read end to end it's about a 300 level course in basic resi/biz electricity.
Old doesn’t disqualify its value in my book; I’ll add it to my library. 300-level might be a challenge but I’ll call up my CE minor to help me with that.

The conversations you want to overhear are the trouble-shooting and "why can't we do THAT" discussions. This is where you can pick up on things you might never have considered, either as outcomes or procedures. See @BillConnerFASTC comments in reply #6.
CB has done more for my learning and education than any combination of books, schooling, or self-study thus far. So I completely get this.

Read books, research, take workshops, and ideally find someone to mentor you. IF you were in canada I'd say come say hi!
I have email, and I’ve heard it can cross the distance between the US and CAN impressively quick. ;)

theatre electrics can be very different from industrial electrics for one very important factor and that is the amount of wave chopping which happens in dimmers and switch mode power supplies, the main symptom of which is very high neutral currents as the phases are not cancelled as in industrial situations. These high neutral currents can result in neutral overheating and transmission of noise to PA systems. Most electricians have no understanding of the problems these harmonics cause and quite frankly it's not something you can "pick up". So just be aware of your limitations.

Harmonic content is something discussed at length by Guy Holt. His site www.screenlightandgrip.com has tons of info about that, use of GFCIs... most of it aimed at studio mechanics, grips and gaffers involved in film and video work. Guy is a valuable resource, check his site and bookmark the interesting stuff!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back