Electro Controls

Wow. This really takes me back!

The old EC ers spots were decommissioned because they were falling apart and wouldn't fit in the ceiling pockets.

It's probably for he best that they got rid of the old genie lift they had. It wasn't in the best shape.

It's sad that the Earl has fallen apart. How's the sound system doing? Is the GSX still kicking?

I am currently a tech at Earl and have been rather interested in the old dimming system, so I am glad I found this.

The GSX is still the main board and it still works fine, except for 3 ghosting submasters, but with 21 working submasters that doesn't bother us at all. Just last year we received an ETC Express from a local theatre because the GSX wasn't booting up anymore. After reinstalling the operating software (with a floppy disk!) it started booting fine and we still use it since it is the board the other lighting techs and I are most familiar with. The Express is basically our backup board if the GSX dies or starts having issues again.

The part of the lighting system that is in the worst condition is the CD-80, which completely failed and died in January and took them until March to fix. Apparently the dimmer hadn't been serviced or properly maintained since it was installed, so the processor board that controls the whole dimmer rack died. We ended up having to a coffee house by unplugging and plugging in lekos into wall sockets and with a borrowed 4-channel dimmer pack. Unfortunately, the programming for the dimmer rack was stored on the processor board, so when it failed all the programming was lost, meaning the house light panels in the booth, each lecture theatre, and the accordion closet all don't work. Various teachers have been complaining about this so we took it to the chief custodian who said she would have someone in to fix it. Now that the processor is fixed and working fine (except for the programming), various dimmer modules are starting to fail, one of which is for a section of house lights. We will randomly lose a section of houselights every so often, as well as all the other house light dimmers are starting to flicker and randomly fade down and up by 10 or 15%. We have started reporting this to the chief custodian who has started logging when it fails and when it comes back on. She had an electrician come and check if it was an electrical problem, which it wasn't (that's how we know it is a failing dimmer module). She trying to have a dimmer technician come in and fix the failing dimmer modules (there are more than just the houselights) and reprogram the processor, however, in the eyes of the school board it is a minor issue, and they want to wait until it becomes a major issue (which probably means the whole dimmer rack has to die).

As for the sound system, everything is fine and dandy. The mixer is a Mackie SR24-4, which is in great condition. All 24 channels work, along with every sub and aux. To my knowledge, nothing is wrong with it (but don't quote me on that, I am a lighting tech, not a sound tech.) We have four amps, I am not to sure what they are or have any of the details about them, so when I go back to school on Monday I will look into it. Our recent additions to the sound system include 10 wireless headset microphones the school bought since they don't want to have to rent microphones year after year after year for school musical. We also just got a duel compressor gate, which has worked wonders on the sound system. As for microphones, we have about 4 or 5 Shure SM58s, 4 microphones I know nothing about, and 1 wireless handheld microphone (an electrovoice I believe). We also have 2 InterM graphic eqs, one is a mono channel, the other is a duel channel, a Denon cd player, which we never use, and a Behringer Shark DSP. In addition to the sound equipment for the booth we have a portable cart for events in other places of the school, with a really basic mixer on it, along with two JBL speakers. I don't know what the mixer is off the top of my head, so I will have to look into that on Monday.

Now I have some questions about the old dimming system. How much of it worked when they removed it? For its age at the time I would expect there to be a lot of dead circuits and stuff, but just how dead was it. A music teach told me that techs were messing with wiring they shouldn't have been touching and ended up blowing apart the dimmer controller. Did this actually happen? If it did how massive was the damage? Obviously it was enough that they had to replace it. Also, how was it discovered that techs has rewired the auditorium? Lots of teachers have told me different and conflicting things about that, and I have been interested in what techs have to say about it. Why did techs even rewire the auditorium in the first place? Also, do you have any pictures of the booth from this time, the only pictures of the dimmer controller I can find include the one from the first year book (we still have that alt spot!) and another one from the 1978 year book. Also, did you ever see or take picture of the actual EC dimmer in the mechanical room upstairs where the CD-80 is now? I have never seen it and have always been interested. Did you ever see or use the patch panel (if there was one) for the dimmer. Our booth key works for the accordion closet and the plans for the school say there is supposed to be a patch panel in there. I assume it was put in for the EC system and then removed when the CD-80 was installed. How did it work? Was it the slider type patch panel or were there actual wire connections? I am sorry if this seems weird, but I have always been interested in the old dimming system because of the crazy stories about techs rewiring the auditorium and stuff.

This must be the thread that just won't die. Funny because there really isn't much in the way of "Electro Controls" product left at the Earl.

I suspect most of the "crazy stories" you've heard are just that, crazy stories. It's possible that some techs did some stuff that they shouldn't have done but it's more likely the systems failed due to neglect or attempts to fix things with inadequate training and supervision. That shouldn't come as any surprise since there has never been any attention paid to developing a technical theatre program.

The old EC dimming system was fully functional in 1995. I can't speak for what may have happened in the 5 or so years between then and when it was replaced. The control panel had been replaced by a Strand Mantrix some time before 1993. There probably aren't many pictures of that specific installation since it was retired before the age of digital cameras. There are pictures on this forum of similar installations though.

The EC dimming system got replaced by the CD80 rack around the turn of the century (2000). They turned down a more competitive bid that would have given the Earl an ETC Sensor 48, Express console, Source Fours and Altman fresnels in favour of a CD80 and GSX with no new lighting instruments for more money. A good portion of the refurbishment funds went to replace the stage drapes and rewiring some circuits to bring them up to code.

yup, its definitely a Strand Lekolite. We have a few of those still hanging around at the theatre. They give a nice beam given their age.

given their age???
they are a little over 10 years old.....

I know this was posted in like 2005 but since you were replying to me... ;)

I probably meant "given the technology implemented" (plano convex lenses, alzak reflector, etc). That, and I believe ours were closer to 20 y/o at the time.

FWIW, the Strand 2206 zoom ellipsoidals were donated by Kanata Theatre in 1998 when we replaced them with Source Fours. We got them used from GCTC along with an AVAB 211 console when the Ron Maslin Playhouse first opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back