Enttec USB DMX Pro - external input?

Can a standard lighting board output be connected to the DMX Pro input and then the output of the DMX Pro be connected to the lights? Purpose would be to use the sliders on the board as input to the software and have the output actually control the lights. For example, if I raise slider 1 on the board and I want it to control DMX channels x, y, z etc. If this is not possible with one DMX Pro can I connect two DMX Pro units to the computer and use one for input and one for output and make this work?

Mike

While never having used the DMX Pro's myself, it's my understanding that only the input or the output can be used at one time, not both. To do as you are suggesting would require 2 DMX Pro's. Does the lighting console in question not have the ability to soft patch multiple DMX addresses to one channel? Most late model boards will do what you are asking without the computer.

That's kind of what I suspected based on the DMX Pro user manual... The board we have is rather limited in functionality (I work with a small non-profit community theatre and funding is extremely limited), so no, the board won't support that.

Anyone ever try to hook up 2 DMX Pro units for this purpose?

Mike

There is only one DMX transceiver in the DMXPro. They provide both the jacks to it can be used as an input without a turnaround. You could use two to do what you want to do, however you need to make sure your software supports that. I don't know of one that does but then again I don't really ever step out of Chamsys.

Can a standard lighting board output be connected to the DMX Pro input and then the output of the DMX Pro be connected to the lights? Purpose would be to use the sliders on the board as input to the software and have the output actually control the lights. For example, if I raise slider 1 on the board and I want it to control DMX channels x, y, z etc. If this is not possible with one DMX Pro can I connect two DMX Pro units to the computer and use one for input and one for output and make this work?

Mike

I'm not understanding your use case. You want to connect a Dmx pro to the output of your console. Turn that output into a signal that can be read by a computer running some custom software that does something to the DMX values - and then spit out the modified values to an external device - is this correct?

Looking at the documentation, I can see how you could do this using two DMX Pros and writing some custom software - but what is the problem you are trying to solve. I can't imagine why you would want to do what you are describing. Why are you trying to do this?

John

I'm not understanding your use case. You want to connect a Dmx pro to the output of your console. Turn that output into a signal that can be read by a computer running some custom software that does something to the DMX values - and then spit out the modified values to an external device - is this correct?

Looking at the documentation, I can see how you could do this using two DMX Pros and writing some custom software - but what is the problem you are trying to solve. I can't imagine why you would want to do what you are describing. Why are you trying to do this?

John

it sounds like he wants to use the console as an expansion wing for the software. Program the show on the computer, and play it back by using the faders and buttons on the console.

Doing this would allow me to keep all our lights (we only have 15) set at discrete addresses but using the computer software assign any combination of them to any other DMX address which could then be "controlled" by the slider on the controller. For example - if I want to have lights 1, 3, and 7 all operate at the same time from one slider on the controller I could have the software look for the DMX values coming in from the controller for the channel that slider is set to and then output the changes to all three of those DMX addresses (lights). Essentially a "wing" as I understand it but without spending the money to buy a true wing (these seem to be very expensive!)

Mike

Doing this would allow me to keep all our lights (we only have 15) set at discrete addresses but using the computer software assign any combination of them to any other DMX address which could then be "controlled" by the slider on the controller. For example - if I want to have lights 1, 3, and 7 all operate at the same time from one slider on the controller I could have the software look for the DMX values coming in from the controller for the channel that slider is set to and then output the changes to all three of those DMX addresses (lights). Essentially a "wing" as I understand it but without spending the money to buy a true wing (these seem to be very expensive!)

Mike

So it sounds to me like you are trying to create the equivalent of a submaster. What kind of console do you have?

If you only have 15 lights, two DMX Pro's would set you back about $300. For that you can get a behringer DJ Board, not the best for theatre set-ups but with 15 lights it would still give you faders and submaster capabilities pretty easily. Not sure if this is the route you want to go but just though I would provide another option.

I have used the enttec DMX Pro as an input to my laptop running lightfactory, so a basic preset desk could be used as a submaster wing for lightfactory. I do this when I am "winging it" with live bands that do not provide a set list so you have no chance of programming anything before the show.
I used an open dmx output device from the laptop as there was no issues with the dmx output, cheaper than two DMX Pro's.

Be aware that the main difference between the two units is that the dmx pro has a standalone microcontroller so the dmx output stream is continuously sent at the set rate. The open dmx uses the cpu of the computer or laptop it is connected to, so the dmx output stream can be intermittant, depending on the cpu usage. Even more intermittant dmx output, if the laptop is running all of the windows garbage such as background programs, wireless internet etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back