ERS reflector question

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Seems like forever since we've had a QotD. Just because most are on winter break is no reason to suspend one's education. So a rather challenging, four-parter. Remember, students-only until January, when school resumes.

1. Why does this reflector, from an ERS, have two extra holes in it?
2. Why is the hole for the lamp (presumably of the FEL-family) so large?
413421719_tp_REFLECTOR.jpg

Here is the profile lantern in question:
413070532_o_REAR.jpg

3. What make/model is it?
4. When was it made?

Last edited:
Pictures not showing.

well it is fairly far out of my league, but I can take a shot. Perhaps these holes are used as an escape for heat? I can't tell you about the make/model or year of the lantern but I know source four reflectors are made out of a special material designed to not reflect infrared light and send most of the heat out the back. Could these holes perhaps be a primitive form of the same design? (this also accounting for the large lamp hole). This would also account for the vent on the back of the instrument, that being a release for the heat. That's my best "educated" guess

I know source four reflectors are made out of a special material designed to not reflect infrared light and send most of the heat out the back. Could these holes perhaps be a primitive form of the same design?

Dichroic Reflectors. Also used in Altman Shakespeares, Strand SL's, and various copies.

I'd say it's a good guess, but there were even older (and many newer) models out there that didn't have these holes, and also had aluminum reflectors.

Wow! This is a new one for me! I swear I've focused that unit.....when it was new. But I sure haven't seen one since! So I'll make a couple of guesses, 'cuz I'm as much of a student as anyone this time.

1. The reflector's lamp hole is so large because it was designed for an incandescent, BBU lamp. Incandescent = before halogen, called quartz lamps in the period of this unit. The original lamp was probably a T-12 PF base or a T-14 MBP.

2. The two extra holes were a design attempt to even out the field and balance out the lack of reflection from the lamp hole.?????

3. Brand???? Well, "not" Century or Kliegl. Not Electro Control(Arial Davis)

4. ??Mid 70's??

Last edited:
1. Why does this reflector, from an ERS, have two extra holes in it?
For the original Lamp, The large hole carried the power while the other two held the lamp in place using a support system

2. Why is the hole for the lamp (presumably of the FEL-family) so large?
Because it wasn't for the FEL family it was for a larger lamp

3. What make/model is it?
No clue whatso ever

4. When was it made?

It looks to be 73-74 ish era.

All these are guesstamations since I have no experience with these fixtures. I still consider myself a student even though I am no longer part of academia, Always need knowledge right?

1) No idea!

2) Truthfully no idea but I would guess at because it was made to originally hold a larger lamp. (I know lots of the old strand kit was certainly this way before many of them got converted for T18/25 or T26/27).

3) Made by Strand Electric! Over here in the UK that green colour is VERY famous! There's still a LOT of old strand kit kicking around over here (heck Phantom in the west end still has Patt 123 and Patt 23 lanterns on it I believe). Most schools are still running old strand kit too - it just keeps on going! The Patt 743 fresnel I still maintain is one of the most beauitful fresnels of all time!

I would guess at a Patt 763/764.

4) 1971 - 1974.

... 3) Made by Strand Electric! ... I would guess at a Patt 763/764. ...
Winner, winner, chicken dinner, LampyTom! I was hoping calling it a profile lantern would be a helpful hint to the Americans.

Strand Archive - Patt.763 / Patt.764
p763.jpg
Patt.764 had bi-focal shutters; Patt.763 had only hard-edge shutters. I really will never understand how the Brits kept all those pattern numbers straight. Seems so un-intuitive.

From Patt. Lantern, Patt. Lantern, Patt. Lantern :
Patt. 763
Profile Spot, 1000W (GX9.5, T/9 Halogen) 20° max. dia deep
facetted ellipsoidal reflector, four beam shaping shutters and twin 6 x 16-in. plano-convex lenses in (Century) diecast sliding, extending lens tube (secured by one screw!). Pressed steel lamphouse, hinged at gate area for lamp access.

Introduced 1971, replaced 1975 by T-spot 64.
This caught my attention as we were discussing Century lens tubes in this thread. It seems this is the first, and possibly only, time Strand Electric tried to work with recently purchased Century Lighting. One wonders why they didn't import the entire "LekoLite" fixture instead of just the tube.

As to the reflector question, I'm still baffled. But I have realized that the picture I posted above is upside down. (What is it with eBay sellers and non-lighting people that they always have stage lights pictured upside down?)

413070477_o._Strand Logo.jpgPatt763_413070409_o.jpg

So the primary question remains: Why "extra" holes in the reflector? Didn't they realize back then that holes were a bad thing? Century had an axial ERS as early as 1969-1971, based on the EGJ lamp family, but only for their 8" and larger units it appears. I had originally thought the holes might be a holdover from an older design and intended for r7s double-ended socket, but that doesn't make sense as the filament would not be centered.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

I'm still guessing the added holes are an attempt to even out the field, much the same way as flatted and double flatted reflectors.

David North, Steve Terry, either of you guys know the answer on this one???

I went and googled for the answer. Nobody has gotten it right yet, but I would feel it cheating to post an answer I didn't know off the top of my head

What on earth terms did you enter into Google?

Last chance before I sic the Strandinavians on it.

Another view of the reflector; right way 'round this time.
Patt763_reflector.jpg

Last edited:
David North, Steve Terry, either of you guys know the answer on this one???

I don't know but have always wondered....cooling or lamp clearance are my only guesses. Bring on the ones who really know!!

David

I just googled ERS reflector with holes in it. Didn't get that exactly in the response but I found a page that gave a brief explanation of the hole. I say go ahead and sic the strandinavians on it, they will give a much better explanation

Can you provide us with a link? It is January, after all. :)

I'm going to take a stab that possibly the holes were for support structure for a other-then-incandescent-lamp ?.

Possibly this particular fixture was for an architectural application ? and not a reflector used by a an incandescent lamp ?.

I'm going to copy the image and see if I can post it over on BlueRoom, the British stagecraft forum. maybe some old timer on the other side of the pond would enlighten us (a pun)

I have looked at this, and scratched my head, since the question was posed, and quite honestly, I have no f***ing idea what those extra holes are for. I don't buy the idea of evening the field. I suspect an arc-source lamp, but I have not heard of that as an option in the Strand 763.

Sorry to disappoint!

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back