ETC backcap

MSLD

Ello,

This happened about a year ago, but about all of our S4 backcaps had bad wiring and we called ETC and they sent us all new replacement backcaps. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else in the world or if we just got a bad batch.

We got a couple hundred about 5 years ago in our new space. No problems with any of them.

~Dave

You weren't the only one. There was a bad production run a while back... I want to say spring of 2007. I had a friend who got a bad batch and ETC replaced them quickly. I believe there were one or two other threads about it here on CB back then as well. The total bad caps that got out was probably only a few hundred to a thousand but our community is small and word travels. ETC is always the best in customer service and took care of it promptly.

Yes, had a similar problem somewhere between late 06' and early 07' i think with an upgrade in a local theatre 50 or so bad caps. ETC sent replacements to fix them no big deal. It happens.

as in bad wiring, as in bad ceramic in which it burns the pins on the lamps and fails? i just replaced a bunch of ceramics at a relativly new school (few years old) and i am wondering if this is the issue. If so some new lamp caps would be great. The new ceramic does look different than the one i replaced.

The bad batch I ran into was in units manufactured in October 2006 and those particular units used Bender&Wirth 969 TP22 sockets. ETC immediately replaced these with Osram TP-22H sockets that I had to rewire my self. Our space ended up with something like 50 bad caps. By bad cap we mean the wires leading into the socket (ceramic piece) had a tendency to work loose and snap, which essentially means the socket failed.

I haven't had any problems with the new ones we bought in 07, but we did have the caps from the mid nineties that had the carbon arcing problem. (The pin wouldn't sit correctly in the lead, so the leads were filling with black carbon until they wouldn't work anymore). We were able to get new caps (with locking springs) to fix the problem, but every once in awhile we still find a lead filled with carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back