ETC Cobalt

Has anybody demo'd one yet? Thoughts? ... I've always loved ETC for my theatrical work and the EOS family has done some great things for their theatrical product line IMO. But I've never been a huge fan of the Congo series. When it came to needing to punt a show on the fly I have always been a GMA or HOG person.

I'm interested to see what/if anybody's thoughts are for ETC's new desk.... and if I should demo it here at my venue.

Ready... GO.

-B

I'm waiting for a Cobalt to be available in OZ to demo. I've been using a Congo for the last 6 years and think it's a great desk. We've got the Cobalt software installed on the Congo and it's effectively the same, with additional features specifically designed to suit the Cobalt hardware touchscreens.
Fingers crossed that the Cobalt hardware is as good as the Congo, as the Congo (senior) hardware has been one of the best laid out, most useable desks I've come across.

Hi Nicholas,
Sorry , the humour of your comment went wizzing past my head.
I'm the one?

I believe he was implying that you're the only person who *does* have a positive impression of the Congo. :)

Bah! I'd say that anyone who doesn't have a positive impression of the Congo hasn't used one for long enough to understand it. :)

We've had our Congo Jr. here (with a fader wing) since just after they were released. Everyone that comes in always complains about the syntax of the board commands and never seems to get past that. Bringing up a channel is the first thing they try, and when that doesn't work as normal it throws them for a loop. Seems like the write the board off at that point.

After hearing the glories of ION preached for the past few years, we finally got one here to test drive for a regional festival. First impression? It looks like the Jr. with a paint job. And when I had to grab the manual just to program a sub onto a fader I wasn't too happy. I know the theatre folks liked the ION more, but for the day-to-day events I run the board for the Jr. seemed like a better live board.

ETC has also released the Cobalt software onto the Congo boards. That seemed to clean up the interface quite a bit.

Reactions: Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back