ETC ColorSource Relay

mattq6166

In the process of a gradual upgrade in some lighting in both our Proscenium and Black box theatres. One of the complaints is the unsightly cable from our side trees in the front of the house, which were an added position not original to the house, in which the cable go up into the cloud above the audience to various places (wherever a circiut is available.) We are upgrading to colorsouce instruments (if i win the argument), and i wondered if anyone can give me feedback on the colorsource relay and its functionality and any drawbacks, drop in signal etc.
Thanks,
Matt Egan
Resident Designer and TD
Spokane Civic Theatre

I can tell you that we have installed them in Multiple facilities and have not heard complaint one, that I know of.

I just did a project with them that was mostly side boom positions. 10! A space nearly the same size as yours.

I'm happy to come by and see what you are doing. There are a few Spokanites here.

And welcome to Control Booth!

Reactions: Van
I just did a project with them that was mostly side boom positions. 10! A space nearly the same size as yours.

I'm happy to come by and see what you are doing. There are a few Spokanites here.

Thanks, not doing anything yet, just trying to convince the powers that be what to do.
Matt

Hey another thought here, is this proprietary technology, or will it control say chauvet, martin, etc.
Matt

The wireless is City Theatrical and is cross compatible, though they have some features ETC didn't carry over.

I understand some show babys are available in town to rent. Easy expansion is always good.

It will switch power and provide DMX data to anything.
@BillConnerFASTC Mr. Bill? Please spin your hat to its consultant side for a moment. I understand the Colorsource relay "will switch power and provide DMX data to anything" [Quoting you] My question to you is: How do you handle removing power from the Colorsource relay's internal electronics OR do you recommend leaving its internal electronics powered 24/7/365?
The recent total replacement of 275 various types of house and symphony down lights in Kitchener Waterloo, Ontario's flexible-use space [With its dual lift / dual canopy / repositionable box seating towers] by 275 ETC dimmable LED fixtures is what's prompting my query. I understand this project was heavily supervised by ETC but I've also been led to believe DMX controlled breaker panels were employed to remove power to all of the LED power supplies throughout the installation. It goes without saying, I'm by no means fully aware of the details of this project but a "knowledgeable person" who attended this past Wednesday evening's 'dog & pony' / 'show & tell' assured me: "Every aspect of the refurbishment was done 'right' from touch- screen locations affording access to a range of preset looks including various lift / seating / orchestra shell configurations, to FOH Manager / cleaners / work, fire & panic presets. A battery powered UPS has also been included to cover the moments required for the diesel generator to crank up, stabilize, and be prepared to accept its load."
Of course I could ask my IA brothers, the local dealer, or ETC themselves why they chose to go with DMX controlled breaker panels rather than any alternate approaches but please type a few lines outlining what your personal thoughts and approaches would be were this to have been one of your projects. Please don't cop out and tell me to "Call ETC of course!"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I have used the ColorSource relays on two very low budget projects. More bang for the buck. Where possible I use DMX controlled relay panels and distributed data. Physical layout, level of users' abilities, likelihood of expansion and growth, and other factors weigh into the choices. Every project and group of users have different goals and needs, so each project is evaluated individually. The ColorSource Relay is a great tool, but not the only one.

I have used the ColorSource relays on two very low budget projects. More bang for the buck. Where possible I use DMX controlled relay panels and distributed data. Physical layout, level of users' abilities, likelihood of expansion and growth, and other factors weigh into the choices. Every project and group of users have different goals and needs, so each project is evaluated individually. The ColorSource Relay is a great tool, but not the only one.
@BillConnerFASTC Thank you Mr. Bill for your reply.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@BillConnerFASTC Thank you Mr. Bill for your reply.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

You're welcome. In plainer terms, I might recommend the ColorSource and constant circuits for a high school based on a sense the wireless might cause a problem with one performance in maybe five years more often than wired relays and wired data - cancel, delay, go on under work lights, who knows - and once in 5 years is simply a wild a$$ guess but a belief that wireless is less reliable than wired. I'm not sure it is less reliable and isn't more reliable but its the basis I use today. So, you've got to ask your self, would you rather risk this one show stoppage in five years and have 100 focusing units, or lower the risk and have 75 focusing units? If it would cost money - like refunds - and be remembered a month or more later - I might go with wired and fewer units. But there are a lot of purely amateur (very amateur?) situations where the additional lighting - or curtains or seats or something as everything is paid for from one pot of money at the end of the day - is probably worth it.

You're welcome. In plainer terms, I might recommend the ColorSource and constant circuits for a high school based on a sense the wireless might cause a problem with one performance in maybe five years more often than wired relays and wired data - cancel, delay, go on under work lights, who knows - and once in 5 years is simply a wild a$$ guess but a belief that wireless is less reliable than wired. I'm not sure it is less reliable and isn't more reliable but it's the basis I use today. So, you've got to ask your self, would you rather risk this one show stoppage in five years and have 100 focusing units, or lower the risk and have 75 focusing units? If it would cost money - like refunds - and be remembered a month or more later - I might go with wired and fewer units. But there are a lot of purely amateur (very amateur?) situations where the additional lighting - or curtains or seats or something as everything is paid for from one pot of money at the end of the day - is probably worth it.
@BillConnerFASTC Thanks for your clarification and I heartily concur with your thoughts regarding wired Vs. wireless.
For me, it harkens back to the old addage: A less expensive corded microphone is still more dependable, and cheaper to operate, than the best wireless.
Thanks for helping to educate myself and the masses.
Likely I'm just too old for today's world. I cringe when I see someone playing the music and effects for their production from their phone while simultaneously receiving and initiating phone calls, sending e-mails and texts. They're likely using an economy grade ill-fitting / non-locking adapter from their headphone jack directly into their +4 [or, worse yet, mic level] balanced, XLR and wondering why they're getting cancellation when driving their unbalanced stereo outputs into a balanced mono input.
With apologies for thread swerving yet AGAIN.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back