Dimmer Upgrades

sumyunguy

Hi all,

Long question short, we are looking to increase our lighting and equipment, and I am curious as to the use of several dimmer packs in series or a single location set of dimmers to work from. I understand either option will involve running of cable but would like to better understand both options.

Our setup is a gym theatre, with a raised stage on one of the small ends. Power is easily accessed on the stage (breaker box is also located here) but some circuits are shared with the gym floor level outlets. Presently we daisy chain our two Leviton DES 5600s and add rented packs to add as needed. Lighting is mainly from the house, with two side bars located 10-15 feet out on the walls and two trees placed halfway down the gym (50"), we do use some top lighting, usually with rented fresnels. All is controlled from a temporary booth erected near the back of the gym with a Leviton MC 7008 consol, we are looking to upgrade that as well, perhaps to a 7024 for added room while maintaining consistancy for the program. We have the luxury of setting up and leaving things as is for 2 days to a week before the show. Lights are all struck following performances, as it is not to onerous to set them up for each show. We usually run 3 show, a large cast musical, a one-act play night (2-3 plays) and an arts showcase (monologues, small cast plays, and choral performances) with a smattering of other performances.

Our current inventory includes 4 Source 4s, 6 Strand Century 2205s, and an old fresnel. We are looking to increase our inventory, retire the fresnel and acquire some more etc.

I think that covers the gist of it, I appreciate your feedback on the dimmer packs vs single bank of dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back