ETC Congo Direct Selects

Hey All,

I am training on an ETC Congo, the Version 6, main console. And, I was wondering, can anyone here explain the direct selects to me? For example, how to load to them, what can go in them and so forth? Thank you!

Hi Thelightinggal,

Direct Selects on Congo are a quick selection tool and can hold several different types of content. On the Congo, (sometimes referred to as Congo Sr.), you have 40 dedicated direct select buttons with 5 selectable pages. Each set of 10 buttons can be assigned a different type of content and a different bank start number.

We'll start with what your options are for type of content. As of Congo version 6.2.1 (the current version at the time of this post), the following type of content can be displayed on direct selects:
  • Focus Palettes
  • Color Palettes
  • Beam Palettes
  • Palette (All) Palettes
  • Groups
  • Auto Groups (Groups generated by the system based on device type)
  • Gel Picker (Can be used with devices that use color mixing)
  • Parameters (Displays the available parameters of a selected device)
  • Master Keys (Used mainly on Congo Jr, will duplicate the master key of the selected bank of masters)
  • Masks (User recorded Masks (filters) can be displayed)
  • Screens (Mainly used in the Demo show files, snapshots of screen layouts and options can be recalled)
  • Empty (Displays nothing; Default for new shows)
To select the type of content to be displayed on the direct selects, press and hold the [Type] key then press the {Direct Select} key of the type that you wish to assign to each set of direct selects. Each set of 10 can be assigned to the same type or a different type of content.

Once the type is assigned, then choose the bank that you wish to view. A bank is a set of 10 sequential objects of the content type that you selected. For example: If I chose to display Groups as my top left set of direct selects, when I select bank 1-10, my groups 1-10 are displayed on the direct select. If I change that bank to 21-30, then groups 21-30 are displayed on those direct selects. However, let's say that I haven't recorded groups 23-27... Those direct selects would remain empty until I recorded that content. Once recorded, they would appear with the name that I had provided those groups.
Each set of direct selects can be assigned to the same or different banks. To select the bank, press the [Bank] key then press the {Direct Select} key of the bank that you wish to assign.

The assignments can be viewed on each page in the section with a dark background and light text.

Putting it all together: You have 5 pages of 40 Direct Selects that are assignable in sets of 10. Some of my common paging assignments are:
Page 1:
[Groups 1-10] [Groups 11-20]
[Groups 21-30] [Groups 31-40]
Page 2:
[Focus Palettes 1-10] [Color Palettes 1-10]
[Beam Palettes 1-10] [Auto Groups]
Page 3:
[Color Palettes 1-10] [Color Palettes 11-20]
[Groups 51-60] [Groups 61-70]
Page 4:
[Empty] [Empty]
[Empty] [Empty]
Page 5:
[Parameters 1-10] [Parameters 11-20]
[Parameters 21-30] [Parameters 31-40]​

That's all fine and good Kirk, but how do I get content to show up once I have selected the type? Simply record it! Direct Selects (with the special exceptions of Gel Picker, Parameters, and Auto Groups) will show you only the content that you have recorded. If you have not recorded any color palettes (or, more specifically any color palettes in the range selected by the bank number) then none will appear on the direct selects. They are however still assigned to those buttons... That means that you can use those buttons as a shortcut for recording content to specific numbers by pressing [Record]&{Direct Select} key of your choice. I find this feature very useful when recording groups and palettes because I no longer have to remember numbers. I have already assigned the ranges I wish to record to, so now all I need to do is select the channels, set them appropriately and press [Record]&{Direct Select} of the content I want to store.

I hope this explanation written shortly after 2:30am helps demystify Direct Selects. For more specific information about Direct Selects or about the types of content, please see the User Manual starting on page 122 or search for "direct select" in the onboard help system by pressing [?] then [Text] to search.

Do Congo direct selects function the same as Eos direct selects?

Do Congo direct selects function the same as Eos direct selects?

Conceptually, they are the same. Functionally, they are similar but not exactly the same. Congo has more/different options for what can be displayed on them as well as the paging options are different.

Sent from a mobile device with small keys and big thumbs using Tapatalk

You're gonna hate me...but im still confused. Ive spent a few days trying to grasp the understanding of direct selects, but I still feel a little confused. Here is what I understand..please tell me where I go wrong, I shall give an example:

I have an ETC revolution. There are several times in the show where the revolution has to hit the same spot. So, I recorded it to a direct select. I selected the revolution channel, brought it to full, panned and tilted it to the correct area, and then while it was still there, hit record, and held down an empty direct select button. So its there now I believe. So now, each time im designing a cue, I hit that direct select, and the revolution goes to that area and stays there till I take the instrument level to 0 and then design a new cue? I think I put it under a beam pallet, but im not sure since im not in front of the board right now...

So...say I want to make the revolution follow the blocking of an actor for one scene...im not 100% sure on how to do that. My guess would be to record the revolution to the actors start point, then record a new cue to the actors end point, and maybe make the cues follow each other..and maybe I could put all of that on direct selects. (we cant use follow spots for this show).

And then maybe I want a strobe for a few different scenes - I would select the instrument down on the master playback, or the channel number, bring it to full, hit the beam button and open the strobe, then hit record and hold down a direct select button... the I design the rest of the lights how I want them, hit that direct select, we now have the strobe in that cue, and record cue..and there it is.

Is my understanding correct? I think were I get lost is the pallets...do I have to be in a certain pallet to record a revolution spot, or a strobe from vari lites?

Thank you for all your help Kirk!!!

Hi Thelightinggal,

Direct Selects are just a shortcut to recalling already recorded data types. It sounds to me that the missing piece here is an understanding of palettes and which data they record.

Focus Palettes record only data that has been classified as Focus data. Typically, that is Pan and Tilt information. It can also include related functions such as MSpeed if applicable.
Color Palettes record only data that has been classified as Color data. This usually includes color mixing channels (HSI/CMY/RGB etc...), scrollers, color wheels, and other color related functions.
Beam Palettes record data that that has been classified as "Beam" realated. This is usually the catch all for the remaining parameters including strobe, gobos, prisms, zoom, hard/soft focus, shutters, and other parameters that affect the beam.

Palette (All) Palettes are a special type of palette that record all of the non-intensity parameters including Focus, Color, and Beam parameters. These are useful when the light has to be pointed at a specific spot with the zoom and iris set to a specific size... as an example.

Every type of palette is an object that stores data that can be referenced later. When presets are recorded using a palette reference, they don't store the exact data of the device in the preset, they store a reference to a palette that then recalls the data stored in the palette. When you change the data stored in the palette, all of the presets that used that palette reference update to the changed data automatically.

So, in your example: you would want to record the positioning of the Revolution where it has to hit the same spot several times in the show to a Focus Palette. Then when you want to recall that position to be able to record it into a preset, then you would select the channel and press the direct select that has the proper positioning Focus Palette to move the fixture to the recorded position. Then you can record that positioning into the preset. If you were to have your director decided that the spot where they need to be has to move for every time they stand there, you could then just rerecord the Focus Palette that you used and every preset that you recorded using the direct select to recall that palette would update to the new positioning.

Your example of storing the strobe in to a palette could be accomplished doing using the same process but instead of recording a Focus Palette, you would record a Beam Palette.

Using the console to pre-program the Revolutions to follow an actor is not an easy task. There are several threads here discussing the merits of this action. If you are intent on doing this, you will likely need to program not only the starting and end point, but also several points in between to follow the path that the actor will take. You will also want to train the actor to follow the same path at the same speed every time, every night. To have the console take the timing on its own, you will need to assign the wait or follow time to each of the steps in the Sequence list that are a part of that move. Another option is to take manual live control of the fixture's pan and tilt parameters using the trackball. This can be accomplished using the Parameter button near the trackball with the channel selected. It will take a lot of practice to get manual control of a fixture down as you are running the show. I strongly recommend that you explore other options instead of having the console try to follow an actor's movements for the several reasons described in the previous threads on this subject.

These concepts can be difficult to explain in a forum post. If you still have questions, I recommend giving us a call at 800-688-4116 M-F 8-5 Central Time when you are in front of your console and we can answer your programming questions.

Thank you!! I will be looking back at this thread tomorrow when I go to program! If I have any more questions, I have ETC on speed dial..lol. Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back