ETC Congo Kid

Perhaps this belongs in this thread, but since you asked [user]KevBot[/user], here is a picture of my desk including the Kid.

photo.JPG

Note that the Kid does support 2 monitors, I just don't have any more room on my desk. :p

So what happens when I call in for support on my LMI pack discontinued 20+ years ago? I had to do this about a year ago and somehow they were able to walk me through repairing the control board with a scary amount of competency. I LOVE YOU ETC! You guys are truley the happyiest and nicest support stuff I could ever imagine having to call at 1AM on a Friday night.

Kirk -

Maybe you ought to post a picture of the middle desk - or two as it will probably take that to show it all. It's a wonderful testament to the service that you guys provide and how you are able to do it so effectively. For those of us that have been lucky enough to see the whole room in person, it really is a sight to behold.

Kirk -

Maybe you ought to post a picture of the middle desk - or two as it will probably take that to show it all. It's a wonderful testament to the service that you guys provide and how you are able to do it so effectively. For those of us that have been lucky enough to see the whole room in person, it really is a sight to behold.

Seconded. Unless there's something on that desk you can't show us...?

Seconded. Unless there's something on that desk you can't show us...?

Since I happen to still be in the office...

TS Bench.JPG

... this is the current state of the Center Bench. Pardon the mess, we actively use it all day.

BTW, you are looking at well less than a quarter of the gear that is out, hot, and ready to support customers with. My favorites, which are Sensor, Sensor+, [Sensor to not be mentioned yet], Unison DR, Unison DRd, SmartPack, SmartSwitch, SmartBar, SmartModule, SmartModule2, SmartBar2, L86, Prodigy, and DAS aren't even visible. Oh yeah, there are scads more consoles on racks and countertops ready to go as well.

And yes, we do need to clean up a little. Can you get on that, Kirk?

David

ps - nice pic.....colorful

Just so I don't get in trouble for going off topic, does anyone know what the MSRP is on the Congo Kid? (I know I don't have money...)

And, HansH, starksk, and DavidNorth, you may want to look at this. And this. Possibly this too.

No, I'm not related to Middle Atlantic.

Last edited:
Some notes and info

Congo Kid consoles ship with a mouse and mouse pad included. An external keyboard is not shipped with
the console. On screen or soft key based keyboards are provided within the console. Any USB keyboard,
including language-specific keyboards, may be used with Congo Kid if a physical keyboard is desired.

Congo Kid does NOT support connection of additional fader wings or modules (Universal Fader Wings/Module,
Congo jr Master Playback Wing).

Congo Kid does NOT require the Y-Cable for video connections. Instead, it uses the onboard video
connections and supports a maximum of TWO connected monitors – either 2 x DVI or 1 x DVI + 1 x sVGA.

Two sVGA monitors cannot be connected to a Congo Kid console.

It comes in two flavors. 256 Channels and 512 Channels. The 256 is upgradeable to 512 if you want to, but you cannot upgrade the 512 to anything more. 512 is the most that the console will allow.

The 256 is $ 6,750.00 list
The 512 is $ 7,425.00 list

Last edited:
Some notes and info

Congo Kid consoles ship with a mouse and mouse pad included. An external keyboard is not shipped with
the console. On screen or soft key based keyboards are provided within the console. Any USB keyboard,
including language-specific keyboards, may be used with Congo Kid if a physical keyboard is desired.

Congo Kid does NOT support connection of additional fader wings or modules (Universal Fader Wings/Module,
Congo jr Master Playback Wing).

Congo Kid does NOT require the Y-Cable for video connections. Instead, it uses the onboard video
connections and supports a maximum of TWO connected monitors – either 2 x DVI or 1 x DVI + 1 x sVGA.

Two sVGA monitors cannot be connected to a Congo Kid console.

It comes in two flavors. 256 Channels and 512 Channels. The 256 is upgradeable to 512 if you want to, but you cannot upgrade the 512 to anything more. 512 is the most that the console will allow.

The 256 is $ 6,750.00 list
The 512 is $ 7,425.00 list

Does it come with a virtualizer or is it compatible with any?
Considering the Congo kid for a theater install...

It does not come with a user configurable visualizer. There are some training projects installed onto the console that use Capture (http://www.capturesweden.com/) to help you learn the demo shows. These files are read only.

It is compatible with many visualizers as it can output EDMX, sACN, ArtNet, and IPX across a network.

As the Congo line is touted as "Ideal for multipurpose venues, live events, and hands-on playback environments.", wouldn't an Ion be more appropriate for a theatre install?

Thanks for the responses... The "theater" will primarily be used as a comedy club but will also host some small musical acts. Control is needed for 4 moving head fixtures, 10 source fours and a handful of RGBWA LED fixtures. Of course other lights may be added in the future.
Most events will use preset scenes but some may require live control.

Suggestions:?:

I would absolutely consider a Kid or Jr for this application, but you might be just as happy with an Ion or Element, Jands Vista or Martin M1. I would suggest talking with your dealer of choice about arranging for a demo of anything you might be interested in and seeing what feels most comfortable to you. There are lots of very good console options out there right now and most of the top choices can be used just as easily for theatrical purposes as live event. I realize I am in the minority right now but I am a big Congo fan. I have used mine for legitimate theatre, dance, live/busked events, etc... It is the right console for me and the variety of shows I work on at this point, but it may not be for you. The only way you will know for sure is to spend time behind as many desks as you possibly can before you make your choice.

Best,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back