ETC Element or Pathway Cognito or?

sully151

Hello,

Our theater needs a new console. We are moving into a small storefront space. Our light rig will be pretty small to start. Just 13 LED's, but we intend to grow.

We have been asking around and have received suggestions of the ETC Element 250 channel controller and the Pathway Cognito.

Our technical Director moved on to a better job and I am trying to learn what I can as fast as I can.

Any help and or recommendations will be greatly appreciated

I have to say, we have had a cognito at our shop for the last 8 months and it's a pretty nifty console. It might not be a bad console for theatrical shows, but more people are familiar with the element. However, Cognito is very easy to learn and very small which is great for a small tech booth and great with LEDs and movers. I only have experience playing with it in our demo room and not in a theatrical setting, however.

I'll second the Cognito. I've been using it for a client who does theatrical based performances for about 18 months now. Simple to use, very powerful.

I'm p!eased to see such positive comments on Cognito. I think its pretty cool, but hard to recommend in a new build. It should be significantly less expensive than Element, and very adequate for what you describe even with some growth and rental. And to think you rig might squeak by on one 20 amp circuit - though at least twowoul be preferred.

For me console choice usually comes down to the users background/skill level. A professional console programmer can learn almost anything and will want features, a church volunteer may lose interest in 6 months. I once saw an elementary school get an Express, for 24 lights. 2 scene preset is beyond most of those folks. So look at your priorities and personalities carefully.

It should be significantly less expensive than Element,
Perhaps it should be, but it isn't. And it's next to impossible to compare apples to apples: 250/500 channels vs. 512/1024 outputs, iRFR/aRFR vs. Neato, and so on.

Now, since @sully151 stated "Our light rig will be pretty small to start. Just 13 LED's, but we intend to grow.", I'll add a definitely less-expensive console into the mix: Strand 250ML. I have no first-hand experience with this desk, but would consider it as it's half the price of the others. http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/etc-smartfade-ml-vx-strand-250ml.34316/ ETC SmartFade ML also, though I feel one needs to attach a computer running SmartSoft for the system to be useful for theatrical applications, at which point I'd rather go with Nomad.

In my experience, and why I was as well, going to suggest Cognito, is that anything with encoder wheels will make life easier to deal with LED's and movers down the road.

I like the Eos OS, but would not want to do much programming of other then conventional's on an Element and I'm still nervous as to where Strand will be in 5 years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back