Control/Dimming ETC Express: Macro chase keeps going after blackout

pasjTECH

Hi, our ETC 125 is having some problems with macros. Basically a macro chase sequence keeps going during a blackout. The chase begins in the cue before and is programmed to go out with the blackout. However, every once in a while the chase will keep going while everything else will blackout. This only happens once in a while, and when it happens I have to press the corresponding sub-bump button to kill the macro chase. Any idea? I'm stumped.

To be clear, we are talking about an Express? And by "macro chase," you mean Effect? Assuming these things, I am also assuming you are running the effects with Submasters? And you are triggering the Submasters with OnBump and OffBump macros? What are the exact macro commands you are using for each blackout?

-Tim

Yes, it's a 125 Express. I'm not the original designer for this show, I'm just one of the board ops. I've never seen a show programmed like this before. I believe it is actually a Link to a Macro (under Link it says "M12") in the cue before the blackout cue. I've never seen a cue linked to a macro before, but I'm guessing that's what it is, because when I manually playback M12 its the same effect. That macro M12 is programmed on a to one of the sub-bumps, but there is no way that button got pushed to cause the effect to continue throughout the blackout.

Yes, it's a 125 Express. I'm not the original designer for this show, I'm just one of the board ops. I've never seen a show programmed like this before. I believe it is actually a Link to a Macro (under Link it says "M12") in the cue before the blackout cue. I've never seen a cue linked to a macro before, but I'm guessing that's what it is, because when I manually playback M12 its the same effect. That macro M12 is programmed on a to one of the sub-bumps, but there is no way that button got pushed to cause the effect to continue throughout the blackout.

Well if there is a macro on (M12), then I would goto the blackout cue and see what the macro off number is. Then goto Setup > 8 > macro off number and make sure nothing looks awry. I would post it on here. As far as programming like this to each his own, I prefer just building an effects cue granted it takes a bit longer but its not relying on more things. I would get with your programmer and explain your issue though before you go and fidddle.

Well if there is a macro on (M12), then I would goto the blackout cue and see what the macro off number is. Then goto Setup > 8 > macro off number and make sure nothing looks awry. I would post it on here. As far as programming like this to each his own, I prefer just building an effects cue granted it takes a bit longer but its not relying on more things. I would get with your programmer and explain your issue though before you go and fidddle.

Thanks for your help! I checked out the macro and the cue. And by themselves they look fine and they both are working as they should. It turns out that there isn't a link in that cue before the blackout (nor is there a link in the blackout cue) because there is not supposed to be the chase effect in either the cue before the blackout or the blackout itself. So this makes me think the only answer could be that the sub-bump button for that macro got pushed. But there is no way that could have happened because the board-op would have hit several other subs if it was an accident. Has anyone ever heard of a macro just going off for no apparent reason? I'm not very familiar with macros, usually I build effects in a cue and almost never use links. The original programmer and designer is no longer working here so I have no frame of reference on how this show was programmed. Thanks again for all the advice!

I work on a Martin Maxxyz Compact and it does exactly the same. Fixed the problem by adding a macro on the blackout cue which releases the chase but keeps the cuelist active and then adding another blackout cue as a follow @ zero seconds. Sounds stupid but it worked. Not sure if it would work on a ETC 125 though. :confused: Don't know ETC that well.

So, you are saying that there is no trigger in the cue before the blackout or in the blackout? Is the effect running when you go into the blackout? When does this effect start then? If it is starting randomly and not at the same time in the show each night, you can rule out programming error and be pretty sure it is operator error.

-Tim

Thanks for your help! I checked out the macro and the cue. And by themselves they look fine and they both are working as they should. It turns out that there isn't a link in that cue before the blackout (nor is there a link in the blackout cue) because there is not supposed to be the chase effect in either the cue before the blackout or the blackout itself. So this makes me think the only answer could be that the sub-bump button for that macro got pushed. But there is no way that could have happened because the board-op would have hit several other subs if it was an accident. Has anyone ever heard of a macro just going off for no apparent reason? I'm not very familiar with macros, usually I build effects in a cue and almost never use links. The original programmer and designer is no longer working here so I have no frame of reference on how this show was programmed. Thanks again for all the advice!

well if the original programmer left then I would do what you know and rebuild the cue stack so that it runs through a normal effect not a link to a sub to a cue. There are just to many things that could happen ie. the board op face rolling on the bump buttons and messing with the operation of the macro. As far as a macro firing on its own no I haven't seen that but I have seen effects not end properly due to not having a stop effect cue.

Sounds like Macro M12 turns on the effect, right? ...and M12 is an 'onbump' for the related Submaster, turning it on?

Is there a Macro M'different number', to call/send an 'offbump' for that same Sub? Or is it not explicitly being told to stop? Maybe adding an 'offbump' would resolve this. This would be linked to the desired Q for a stop.

I understand difficulty with making that happen. Just today, I had to ask my ME to figure it out because I was not familiar with the process. It's the "it's easy if you know how" routine! It's in the manual, though somewhat obscure if you are not familiar with the way the manual talks. We made an onbump Macro and an offbump Macro, then linked them to the desired Q's to turn the effect on and off. The Macros control the appropriate Submaster w/the effect. It now works well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi, our ETC 125 is having some problems with macros..................

Call ETC direct. the hot line # to tech support is: 800/688-4116. They will be happy to help and this is the quickest most accurate way to solve the problem. That's what they're there for. Make sure you call from the light booth so the board is available for them to walk you through the issue and solution.

Just a quick note to everyone here with ETC equipment. The first thing to do when you have a problem or an issue is to contact your dealer or ETC Tech Support. ETC truely wants to help and for their equipment to work right all the time and every time. Yes I'm an ETC dealer, and it is stressed to us in the training sessions the customer and product support is our most important job.

P.S. don't call me, (call Jill) I'm a rigger. I stopped learning new things about lighting equipment when we phased out saltwater dimmers! :)

If there's a SubBumpON macro, it should be followed at some point in the show by a SubBumpOFF macro. Or even more than one. There's no harm (other than upsetting the OCD folks) in having multiple SubBumpOFF s.
We've discussed before the programming philosophy of whether to write an effect into a cue or assign it to a submaster. My personal preference is if I'm only using the effect once, I'll write it into the cue. If I'm going to use the same effect multiple times, I'll assign it to a sub, and use the same BumpOn/BumpOFF macro s over and over.

Now the hijack:
Call ETC direct. the hot line # to tech support is: 800/688-4116. They will be happy to help and this is the quickest most accurate way to solve the problem. That's what they're there for. Make sure you call from the light booth so the board is available for them to walk you through the issue and solution.

Just a quick note to everyone here with ETC equipment. The first thing to do when you have a problem or an issue is to contact your dealer or ETC Tech Support. ETC truely wants to help and for their equipment to work right all the time and every time. Yes I'm an ETC dealer, and it is stressed to us in the training sessions the customer and product support is our most important job.
Michael, I both agree and disagree with your sentiment expressed. I agree that ETC's support in unsurpassed. I don't agree that contacting one's dealer or manufacturer is always "the quickest most accurate way to solve the problem." It depends on what the problem is, or in many cases turns out to be, and one often doesn't determine that until the end. I recall a case where a member asked an Ion programming question here and got the correct answer within 2-3 minutes, late at night. Other times, just about everyone has said, "Call ETC 1.800.688-4116", particularly about a hardware or configuration issue.

If I'm certain it's a hardware problem, my first call will likely be to a dealer whom I know has a replacement.
If I suspect a software problem, AND THE SHOW IS NOT IN JEOPARDY, I'll likely post on an online forum--either the manufacturer's, here, or one of the lesser technical forums.
Likewise if I know it's operator error (I just don't know t=how to do something), I'll post. I'd rather CB think I'm stupid rather than the manufacturer. Not sure why that is, after all, I'm paying the manufacturer and CB is free.

In any case, it's great to have so many avenues of support:
Call the dealer.
Call the manufacturer.
Phone a friend.
Text/email the above.
Post online in a forum.
I think I've used all of those, just in the past month.
/end hijack

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back