Control/Dimming ETC Express RFU Issues

hhslights

I was recently called in by my old middle school to do some lighting work with their musical. They wanted just a quick hang and focus as well as programming. Should take me one afternoon. They have an ETC Express in their cafetorium. It was wired by ETC back around 2000 when the cafetorium was added to the middle school. They have had the RFU since the addition and has always been working. They have not used it since their last musical and is always attached onstage in the cafetorium, I have been the only one to use it within the past couple of years. I come in today to try and start working with everything only to find that the RFU will not turn on. I try the usual troubleshooting, board on, connections good, and it still is not powering up. Had to end up shouting out to the kid they have pusing go during the show to turn up each circuit. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone before? What could be wrong, is it something on my part or what? Most importantly, can this be fixed?

Is it the wired remote or the radio remote? If it's the radio remote you could try changing the 9-volt battery inside. You're probably smart enough to have thought of this, but I mention it because I once spent like half an hour fiddling with my "broken" remote only to realize the battery was dead.

Is it the wired remote or the radio remote? If it's the radio remote you could try changing the 9-volt battery inside. You're probably smart enough to have thought of this, but I mention it because I once spent like half an hour fiddling with my "broken" remote only to realize the battery was dead.

Nope, its wired. But I probably would spend some time doing the exact same thing if it was wireless. I can get so into the complicated troubleshooting I sometimes overlook the simple things.

What could be wrong, is it something on my part or what? Most importantly, can this be fixed?

Have you tried plugging in the RFU directly into the RFU port on the back of the console ?. I'd start there first to eliminate any cable issues.

Could have been dropped, might have been on when the console was powered up and took a hit on the lo-vo side. Might have been plugged in while switched on, any number of things can kill an RFU

In general, the wired RFU's are pretty reliable and there's no switch in the console to disable an RFU, so it sounds like it's dead from other causes.

Best to call ETC Tech Support, while in the theater and looking at the console and the RFU plugged direct. If they can;t help, ask them for a local dealer to have it sent back to the factory as needed. Yes they can fix it.

ETC 800 688-4116

Steve B.

I went back today to try some of these things out, plugged the RFU directly into the console, still nothing. I will probably end up making a call to ETC like mentioned. No hurry anymore, got everything done over there so I have about a year or so to get this going.

I went back today to try some of these things out, plugged the RFU directly into the console, still nothing. I will probably end up making a call to ETC like mentioned. No hurry anymore, got everything done over there so I have about a year or so to get this going.

Did you check the fuse like Malabaristo suggested?

If that was fine, when you plug in the unit to the back of the console, turn it over so you are looking at the bottom of the RFU. There is an communication indicator LED tucked away there. Do you see any activity?

Do you have access to another console to test the RFU with? The problem could lie within the console in the communication chips for the RFU or within the RFU itself.

Give us a call at 800-688-4116 and we can help set up a repair for you.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but my Express RFU has a power switch recessed on the left side of the chassis. It's caught me off guard a couple of times.

Yep, got that switch. Probably spent a minute or so with myself flipping the switch in frustration. I know that the 96/48 replaced a 24/48. I am not sure why they replaced it though, there could of been some problem with it or it could of been because the district was hemorrhaging money back in '00 and bought all sorts of useless things. I think I know where it is stored and I will try to get up to the school again sometime to try to use the RFU with that and also look for the fuse on the consoles.

I hope he knows where the power switch is, but if not I must mention this disclaimer: don't ever turn the light board on or off or plug or unplug the RFU when it is on. In other words, turn the board on first, RFU second; turn RFU off first, board second. Not following these rules could have caused the problem you are now facing.

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back