Control/Dimming ETC Expression 3: what is the key hole for?

jjdrummer

I scanned through the manual for the Expression 3 at my venue, but I did not find anything about what the keyhole controls. The manager of the venue lost the key a long time before I arrived at the theater, but I am starting to get curious.

Well, if one inserts the key, turns it, while someone else simultaneously types the secret codes into an Obsession 2, while at the same time someone turns the key on an Impression console, the secret missiles launch from their silo's in Wisconsin and head straight for Strand, Altman, Colortran & Kliegl (hey man, give em a break, the system is a bit dated) (also note the four target locations, hence the name, Source 4)

But seriously, there was a time boards could be locked out when turned off. Sometimes I wish that feature was still around.

Last edited:
On an Expression 3 it toggles Full Tracking Backup. On early Expression 2 and Expression 1 consoles, there was a keyswitch for power.

Excerpt from page 321 of the manual:
Expression 3 Manual v3.1 - Page 321 said:
Full Tracking Backup (FTB) allows you to connect two consoles, or one console and a Lighting Playback Controller (LPC), using one as a backup for the other. This provides you with a working console running your current show even if something happens to your main console.
Use the keyswitch on the back right corner of the console’s face panel to switch from one processor to the other. The LEDs labeled A and B indicate which console is which, and which is the main console.
Note: Only the main console may be used to control outputs. The backup console (or LPC) remains inert until either the keyswitch transfers control to it or the link between the two consoles is broken.

However, I like gafftapegreenia's answer better. Perhaps we need another version to update the target list ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back