ETC Ion and Elation Design Spot 575

ZJH90

So I am having a difficulty patching four Elation Design Spots 575s into my ETC Ion board. From the board, I hit [Displays] then [Patch] and then I choose the channel and set the address. From there I choose the type: I click Type, find Elation, and I am given two options for Design Spot 575. One is 8 bit and the other is 16 bit. My understanding of these lights is that they can function in either mode, but here is where I am hitting a problem. When I choose 8 bit, I have control of the panning but not the tilting. When I choose 16 bit, I don't have any control at all. The strange thing about the 16 bit mode is that on the board, there does not seem to be an option for fine pan/fine tilt. All help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is any more information that I forgot to give. Thanks!

Check the profile in your fixtures. Elation is famous for putting in setting in the fixture that emulates the DMX profile of other fixtures, such as a Studio Spot 575. Check the settings on the fixture and make sure its set correctly.

I answered you on ETC's forum. Here it is again:

Make sure the fixture is set up to match the console personality. According to the EOS fixture release notes (which are nicely hidden by ETC in the client software package):

16-bit

Set menu option Fine resolution to ON for this personality Ch 1 - Set
menu option Pan Degree to 630 for this channel to work correctly Ch 24
- Set menu option Lamp On Via DMX to ON for this channel to work
correctly Ch 24 - Set menu option Lamp Off Via DMX to ON for this
channel to work correctly

8-bit

Set menu option Fine resolution to OFF for this personality Ch 1 - Set
menu option Pan Degree to 630 for this channel to work correctly Ch 22
correctly Ch 22 - Set menu option Lamp Off Via DMX to ON for this

I answered you on ETC's forum. Here it is again:

Make sure the fixture is set up to match the console personality. According to the EOS fixture release notes (which are nicely hidden by ETC in the client software package):

16-bit

Set menu option Fine resolution to ON for this personality Ch 1 - Set
menu option Pan Degree to 630 for this channel to work correctly Ch 24
correctly Ch 24 - Set menu option Lamp Off Via DMX to ON for this

8-bit

Set menu option Fine resolution to OFF for this personality Ch 1 - Set
menu option Pan Degree to 630 for this channel to work correctly Ch 22
correctly Ch 22 - Set menu option Lamp Off Via DMX to ON for this

Thanks! So that now allows me to both pan and tilt, but the light is now just running through a series of various colors and strobes. I don't seem to have any control over that.

I just finished designing Cabaret with an Ion and 8 Elation Designspot 575s, and I KNOW YOUR PAIN. I had the exact same problem with one of them, and I actually had to get my renter to come in and replace it. I won't be working with Elation's again any time soon, because the cueing process was absolutely plagued with such problems. If homing everything doesn't work (and sometimes it did), then try a color reset, and, if that fails, a universal reset occasionally worked. Failing that, I recall one night where every single light went absolutely insane for two hours and it turned out to be a DMX issue, so check that your cables aren't ratty (we got a splitter and swapped out a few cables and the issue seemed to disappear).

But know that what you're experiencing is not an isolated incident: I just got through troubleshooting almost identical issues that sometimes magically went away, and that other times were so persistent as to require a replacement.

I just used several on a show and had the same problem. The profile is slightly wrong. Even though the home on the shutter channel is in the proper place but there is not setting for it. Copy the profile, then go into the shutter channel and add the proper range from the paper work and set that as home position. Use the DMX traits in order to find the proper setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back