Control/Dimming ETC Ion board effects

Hey, I'm not new to ETC but new to the Ion. I'm running board and as an exercise, my LD told me to try and create a flicker effect for an earthquake. I've tried creating a linear effect off a tutorial I got on a different forum, utilizing a random rate and random grouping to an intensity perameter, but it's not going as fast as she wanted it to, even when I gave it a speed of .1.
Does anyone have an easy 'how-to' for this?

Are you using conventionals or automated fixtures? If it is not going fast enough for her, is it possible that the lights just can't turn on and off that fast?

And you don't want random rate, you just want random step (Is it still called that on ION?) random rate would be different every show and might go fast or might go slow.
(SteveB, anybody, Am I right on this? It's been a while since using the Ion.)

Last edited:
Using random rate might be okay for what you want, but you need to set the range to a range that works for you. If it's too slow, just make the range smaller (instead of 5-100, maybe 5-50) and the average rate will be much slower.

What exactly does this effect need to do? Is it just a quick flicker on and off at a regular rate? If so, that's easy to do. Or is it more where the light is on for ~2 seconds, then flickers off and back on really quick, then maybe continues somewhat like that? Does this apply to one or more specific channels, or is this more of a global effect that can be applied anywhere? The biggest part of building effects is being able to accurately specify exactly what you want the light(s) to do - after that, actually making the effect is the easy part. I would consider making it an absolute effect rather than relative effect like you have it now, depending on what the effect actually needs to do. Absolute effects allow you to define exactly what the fixtures should be doing, while relative effects only function relative to the current state of the attributes of the fixture.

Using random rate might be okay for what you want, but you need to set the range to a range that works for you. If it's too slow, just make the range smaller (instead of 5-100, maybe 5-50) and the average rate will be much slower.

What exactly does this effect need to do? Is it just a quick flicker on and off at a regular rate? If so, that's easy to do. Or is it more where the light is on for ~2 seconds, then flickers off and back on really quick, then maybe continues somewhat like that? Does this apply to one or more specific channels, or is this more of a global effect that can be applied anywhere? The biggest part of building effects is being able to accurately specify exactly what you want the light(s) to do - after that, actually making the effect is the easy part. I would consider making it an absolute effect rather than relative effect like you have it now, depending on what the effect actually needs to do. Absolute effects allow you to define exactly what the fixtures should be doing, while relative effects only function relative to the current state of the attributes of the fixture.

Call me crazy but I would write this as a cue list with follows and a link or 2. could be fired with a comment macro in the main cue sequence. But then I'm shy about effects.

Okay, so I've been messing around with it more, and yes, I have discovered that the lights go off at different rates at different times, and I don't like that. I've tried making it a step-based instead of linear (that's where the random group function is located) and I'll have to see what that looks like before I decide if that's what I want.

What I'm looking for: the lights to flicker at the same rate and intensity in a seemingly random pattern, as though an 'earthquake is shaking the lights and the theater' with every step of this giantess character. If I'm making a step-based effect, I may try to time it to her steps, although it would be different every night...I dunno. I'll have to see.

I would try making a step effect. From there, pick a group of channels like FOH NCs or something similar and then put all of the channels in each step. Then, create each step with a different intensity. Possibly something like 0%, 30%, 50%, 75%, and maybe Full. Then set the effect to run in random grouping (From the manuel this should pick random steps with an intensity parameter.) Then all of the channels will follow each other and not do something completely different. Maybe if you want more effect, pick a different group of channels and do the same thing in different areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back