Control/Dimming ETC ION Client Mode and iRFR

We have had an Ion for almost a year now and have been using the iPad iRFR remote software. I am looking in to setting up the Client Mode with the offline software on a computer. My question is: Can you use both the iPad and the computer without having to reconnect and disconnect anything.

Yes. I've gone as far as having a Primary Ion, Backup Ion, a laptop running client w/ dongle, another client laptop and two iRFR devices :shock:

I wouldn't recommend a router. Routers typically have a lot of security functions in them as well as act as a DHCP server which can cause issues with your lighting network as your ION is most likely acting an address server. What I would do is purchase a professional quality network switch (10/100/1000 Linksys LGS108P or similar) and plug the console into this via Cat5e cable, then connect your Wi-Fi access point to the new switch as well (iRFR connectivity and wireless laptop clients). Then you can run a Cat5 cable from the switch to a laptop for client purposes. Also if you have any Net3 or Artnet devices they can also run out of the switch. The biggest thing is to make sure you aren't running two DHCP servers (Console and router) simultaneously, it will cause a headache of issues on the network.

-B

I wouldn't recommend a router. Routers typically have a lot of security functions in them as well as act as a DHCP server which can cause issues with your lighting network as your ION is most likely acting an address server. What I would do is purchase a professional quality network switch (10/100/1000 Linksys LGS108P or similar) and plug the console into this via Cat5e cable, then connect your Wi-Fi access point to the new switch as well (iRFR connectivity and wireless laptop clients). Then you can run a Cat5 cable from the switch to a laptop for client purposes. Also if you have any Net3 or Artnet devices they can also run out of the switch. The biggest thing is to make sure you aren't running two DHCP servers (Console and router) simultaneously, it will cause a headache of issues on the network.

-B
Okay, thank you! The client kit should come with with the Ion after registered correct?

-B

There really is little need to have both a switch and a wireless access point (which most wireless routers can be configured to be) in this set up. Many routers have more than one port, thus allowing them to act as a hardwired switch to some extent if necessary. It is all about proper configuration. If your router is set up properly to allow proper assignment of IP addresses by the console or the use of static IP's you should just need to connect (and assign a valid IP if using static IP's) the laptop to the network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back