Control/Dimming ETC Ion or Strand Palette VL64

Hi everyone, our training institute is in a bit of a dilemma. We currently have a Strand 520 which has served us well. However, while its mentally ok, it's physically wearing out. So we are in the market for a new, but similar console (to the 520) Currently we have narrowed the list down to the ETC Ion and the Strand Palette (Lets stick to these.) Our dilemma is that:

A. The ETC Ion is seeminly the choice of a large portion of the industry in the UK & Australia? (In terms of that class of desk) However in NZ, the ETC Ion isnt as well established?

B. The Strand Palette hasn't seem to have 'taken off' with the industry, such as with the 520. However we can get some great pricing on the Palette. (Half the cost of an Ion)

So what i'd like some comment on is, Is the Ion taking over the world? Is the Palette still a relevant desk in the industry nowadays?

Our option is, get a Strand Palette VL64 (1000Ch) for half the cost of an Ion. Or get an Ion at full price!?

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. the Above comments are my own research! So dont quote me on it!

Talk to your dealer and talk to neighboring theatres. What are they using? The Ion is very popular in the U.S., however they are by far not the most popular theatre console out there, the Express still holds that title and will for years to come. I know Australia is very Strand heavy, so that is something to consider. You don't want to be the only person running the console in your area. If people are using Strand, go that route. If your dealer sells mostly Strand and has a Strand loaner sitting in the shop, go that route. There is nothing wrong with the new Strand desks. The price point really can't be beat. They are just as capable as their ETC counterparts. You will be able to take over some of what you know from your 520 to the new consoles, however the software is completely different. They left some legacy button combos in there but beyond that its a whole new experience. Also, the open source community has made some pretty killer add ons to the console.

Both are good consoles. Both will serve you well. I would go with whatever is better supported in your area, and I really can't tell you what that is from my hemisphere.

I agree completely with Footer.

I'm guessing you are purchasing this for a school? As a Strand Classic Palette owner I'm very happy. The Strand consoles with Horizon software have a very Windows-y feel to them. If students are at all PC savvy they find it's a very familiar feeling environment and I find it very easy to train students on. There are some things that Strand can do that The Ion can't and things Ion can do that Strand can't. The Ion software feels much more like a [deep voice] "THEATER CONSOLE" than a computer. Some people have strong feelings one way or the other about the feel of these two environments. Both are very capable desks with positives and negatives. Get your hands on both of them and see what they feel like to operate and which environment you prefer.

There is one key difference I think everyone should consider and that is the network approach. Strand has a very open network policy. I have a wireless router sitting in my theater. Any computer you connect to the lighting network by wire or wifi, load the software, and log onto a specific ip address can run the light board remotely. ETC allows computers to watch the network with a special dongle, but I don't believe they can trigger cues or bring channels up and down. Now pop open the Strand desk and pull the magic USB drive out. Plug it into any computer on the network with the software and the network recognizes that computer as the heart of the network. You can now shut off the console. The ETC approach says the Desk is always the heart of the system. The Strand approach says the USB drive is the heart of the system. With the Strand approach any computer can become a backup light desk in seconds. To me that safety net is awesome, and setting up designers remotes is a dream. On the negative side, if a kid steals that USB drive, you will have NO LIGHTING DESK until Strand ships you a new USB drive. The console is dead without that drive. I really like it, but my system is in a secure location. If you have kids with theft issues or a console in an unsecured space, you might want to lean real heavy towards ETC for this very reason.

Last edited:
...Get your hands on both of them and see what they feel like to operate and which environment you prefer.

There is one key difference I think everyone should consider and that is the network approach. Strand has a very open network policy. I have a wireless router sitting in my theater. Any computer you connect to the lighting network by wire or wifi, load the software, and log onto a specific ip address can run the light board remotely. ETC allows computers to watch the network with a special dongle, but I don't believe they can trigger cues or bring channels up and down. Now pop open the Strand desk and pull the magic USB drive out. Plug it into any computer on the network with the software and the network recognizes that computer as the heart of the network. You can now shut off the console. The ETC approach says the Desk is always the heart of the system. The Strand approach says the USB drive is the heart of the system. With the Strand approach any computer can become a backup light desk in seconds. To me that safety net is awesome, and setting up designers remotes is a dream. On the negative side, if a kid steals that USB drive, you will have NO LIGHTING DESK until Strand ships you a new USB drive. The console is dead without that drive. I really like it, but my system is in a secure location. If you have kids with theft issues or a console in an unsecured space, you might want to lean real heavy towards ETC for this very reason.

ETC's approach is "one desk or processors is the master, others are clients". With the Eos/Ion series (and I believe Element), you can use any Mac or PC with no dongle in "Mirror" mode, with the PC/Mac simply seeing and mirroring what the desk is doing. Once you add a client dongle (with the Off-Line Editor in all cases), the PC/Mac becomes a remote terminal. Do a search here for the X-Keys thread about how folks turn the 58 key X-Keys and a laptop into a remote Ion. Much greater control than using the PC keyboard. Pretty slick tool. It can run either via WiFi or direct via Cat5 connection.

Other than that Footer's advise is well typed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was facing this dilemma a while back. I like most people I know and work with were brought up on ETC, but a friend of mine turned me onto the Palette last year and when I looked at the interface and how intuitive, especially in regards to intelligent lights, it is I was hooked. The PC interface makes it easier for me to teach my students that there is more than one way to skin a cat. We recently got the VL 16 in our blackbox space and it works like a charm, but friends whose opinions I trust swear by their Ions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (as my knowledge of Elements is limited), but the one thing that the Palette can do that I don't think has happened in other boards yet is that when my a robotic goes down I can replace it with any similar fixture and with a simple repatch the board will reconfigure my cues to allow the new fixture to match what the old fixture was doing as closely as possible. This was a major selling point for me because My producers like to use "those fancy moving lights we spent so much money on" as much as possible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (as my knowledge of Elements is limited), but the one thing that the Palette can do that I don't think has happened in other boards yet is that when my a robotic goes down I can replace it with any similar fixture and with a simple repatch the board will reconfigure my cues to allow the new fixture to match what the old fixture was doing as closely as possible. This was a major selling point for me because My producers like to use "those fancy moving lights we spent so much money on" as much as possible.

I am fairly certain that the Eos/Ion line can do the same thing since the control is based on the abstract model in degrees and positions rather than absolute DMX values.

This was a key selling point for the Horizon/Marquee system about 6 or 7 years ago, it was way ahead of it's time. After a series of buyouts about 5 years ago, Horizon became a sister company to Strand and Horizon became the basis of the new generation of Strand consoles. The software doesn't memorize RGB values for a cue it memorizes that you want a result of "Fatherless Amber". You can change the fixture, the console just checks the fixture profile for the new fixture and does it's best to create "Fatherless Amber" again. It also thinks in terms of real world values like RPM, clockwise, and counter clockwise. Finally a moving light can be programmed to pan from point a to point b in a straight line instead of an arc.

As Icewolf said I think ETC now has these capabilities in it's software but I'm not 100% sure of that. So, if those features sound important to you. Double check.

One other interesting point all the consoles in the Palette and Light Palette families use the same software. The difference is processing power, memory, hard drive space, channel count and control surface options. Strand gives you choice by providing one piece of software with many different console configurations.

ETC on the other hand has different software lines. They give you choice through very different products. If you don't like Ion check out Congo Jr. It's equally capable and yet a very different user experience. I'm in the minority around here with this opinion but from what I've seen, I would choose the Congo line over the EOS/Ion line. That said your original question should probably change to Ion vs Congo Jr. vs Palette VL64

Last edited:
Being the guy that works with the Palette every day, I'm obviously partial to it over other desks. My thoughts...

The Universal Attribute Control is complete and not partial like many other desks. You have a show programmed with a Mac, move the show, now you have VLs, change it in patch and you are done. I did this on a Broadway tour a couple of years back and it worked very well.

All features on all desks. We don't truncate features from the Palettes to the LightPalettes. Unlimited cues, cue lists, groups, subs, sub pages, effects...all desks have independent timing, the list continues.

OpenPalette allows for the addition of apps to be used on the console or on a PC that is networked into the console.

Lots of great features. Let us know if you need any questions answered.

Bobby Harrell
[email protected]

Thanks Bobby! For those who don’t know, Bobby Harrell is THE man when it comes training on a Strand system.

In the intrest of fairness and educating us all, could someone from ETC comment on how Ion and Jr. handle these topics of real world terminology, abstract control model, and instrument swapping.

Also it would be great to hear from both ETC and Strand how you feel about my descriptions of the environment of your product (i.e. Serious "Theatre Desk" feel/familiar Windows-y software feel).

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all your responses. The other factor is here in NZ we can get a sponsorship on the price of the Palette. Which makes it extremely affordable, as mentioned its over half the price of an Ion-here in NZ go for about $18k NZD 2x monitors, faderwing and Ion desk.
However, if the Ion was going to be the the 'Strand 520' of the worldwide industry a few years back, then we'd ge the Ion. So its an interesting discussion. Also, NZ is such a small market, we are unable to get the Ion at a discounted rate.

I've used an Ion exclusively for a year and it's a terrific console. I actually cannot answer any of the questions as to RPM, straight line fixture moving, fixture swapping (I believe it does that seamlessly, but have never had to), mostly as these types of programming issues have not come up. You'd really have to decide of those particular issues are an everyday occurrence and are absolute have-to-have functions.

That said, the Strand desks are terrific desks and they've put a lot of great features into them. One thing that I find interesting is that Strand came out with a whole lot of different type of desks, Sub Palette, VL, Live, Basic etc... in some ways replicating what ETC had with Insight, Expression and the 5 Express series, where as ETC went to 3 desks with add-on hardware (fader wings). Anybody's guess which approach is better for the consumer. I happen to like the Ion and Congo approach of buying basic and adding hardware such as fader wings and touch screens. Gets you into the features now with the ability to add up later.

My basic thought was that if Strand is well supported in NZ, you have a lot of folks comfortable with that type of desk and can get it cheaper, then that's the way to go. The Strand desks are every bit as capable and advanced as the ETC stuff. One thing I do find about ETC is the tech support is the best in the world and they are constantly upgrading and improving the software, said support being a deal breaker on like priced items here in the US.

Thanks Bobby! For those who don’t know, Bobby Harrell is THE man when it comes training on a Strand system.

In the intrest of fairness and educating us all, could someone from ETC comment on how Ion and Jr. handle these topics of real world terminology, abstract control model, and instrument swapping.

Also it would be great to hear from both ETC and Strand how you feel about my descriptions of the environment of your product (i.e. Serious "Theatre Desk" feel/familiar Windows-y software feel).

Hi everyone. Well, I'll speak to the Eos family of products and Sarah will weigh in on behalf of the Congo line. Regarding swapping out of fixtures, yes, that works very well. If the color data is stored in HS (which is the default mode when using the Color or Gel picker - and when working in native space the data can be easily converted to HS with the Color Format control), the HS values translate to any mixing color system. Similarly with pan/tilt, if the ranges of the original fixture are different from the new fixture, the data is converted appropriately for the applicable ranges of the substitute. Linear data and "framed data" such as scroller, color and gobo wheels are no problem. One area that we are looking to improve in the near term is the handling of device modes - right now those are translated as DMX values but will be stored as modes shortly.

As to if I'd characterize the Eos family as "serious theatre desks" ---- well, I surely do hope so!!! We've spent a lot of energy on that! :) There are a number of approaches to use when designing desks - they aren't better or worse necessarily, just different. We've spent a lot of time making Eos, Ion and Element lighting control consoles that happen to be computer based, but whose user interface is not driven by that fact. We have found through our own experience and that of our end users that the more functions that are accessible directly from the facepanel, the faster these actions can be performed. That has lead us away from using tools that might be considered more "industry standard computer tools" in favor of direct facepanel controls.

But if I could just venture a suggestion here - one which has been floated by many others on this thread? All desks have their strengths and potential areas for improvement - or simply approaches that you may not particularly care for. There are many things that drive people to prefer one desk over another. Often, the choice toward a desk is driven completely by economics.

But - that issue aside - I've rarely seen anyone pick a desk because of just one particular feature. Some features may be more important than others, but they rarely devolve to just one. What is important (well, I think anyway) is what your total experience on the product is like. What types of shows do you do, what sort of programming time do you have, what is the experience level of your staff, what desks have you been comfortable with in the past? All of these things add up to make you feel more at home on one platform over another. Almost all modern desks can do very similar things .... in different ways. There is no "one size fits all" control console. That's one of the reasons we have two completely different product lines that address similar market spaces.

And you are asking all of the right questions, by asking here for opinions, looking at what sorts of standards are evolving in your geographic location and so forth. All manufacturers now support product forums. That is a really good place to go to see what the experience is for people who already own the product(s). But I'll ask you (and I'm sure Bobby and Sarah would as well) to remember that people generally only post problems on forums, not what they actually like! :) But they are great places to get the unvarnished truth!

I know this is difficult in some markets, but in addition to what you are already doing, the most surefire way to make a choice is to get a desk into your own space for evaluation. You should try to have someone with you who knows the platform. It's generally not preferred to make a decision only from a demo --- any competent demo person can highlight the strengths of their product but sidestep other areas. If you do have to go the demo route, try to have questions ready about common issues you have in programming to see how the desk you are looking at might address those. I love it when people come to a demo with their list of "how would I do this" questions - especially when its clear that they've really given their needs serious thought. It gives the demo focus and often leads into much deeper discussions.

At the end of the day, our job as manufacturers isn't to sell you on a desk.... it is to get you a product that you will be happy with. Therefore, the more you know, the happier you'll be with what is a very big decision to make!

Hope that helps! If you have any particular questions - philosophical, programming or otherwise, feel free to ask them here or you can also drop me an email.

Best of luck!

Anne Valentino
Eos Product Line Manager
ETC

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Well, I'll speak to the Eos family of product and Sarah will weigh in on behalf of the Congo line.
No offense to SarahC or the Congo, but
...Currently we have narrowed the list down to the ETC Ion and the Strand Palette (Let's stick to these.) ...
The OP has requested that we limit the discussion to Ion and Palette.

Let's use the new thread Implimentation of "Abstract Control Model" for that discussion, and open it up to other consoles as well.

-----
...All manufacturers now support product forums. That is a really good place to go to see what the experience is for people who already own the product(s). But I'll ask you (and I'm sure Bobby would as well) to remember that people generally only post problems on forums, not what they actually like! :)
For those who may not know,
strand-dev.com • Index page
Forums - Electronic Theatre Controls

-----
...However, if the Ion was going to be the the 'Strand 520' of the worldwide industry a few years back, then we'd get the Ion. ...
I'm not certain, but I think you may be ascribing more prominence to the Strand 520 than is deserved. No need to restart a "500 vs. Obsession" debate--the Express outsold both of them (probably combined).

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all your responses. The other factor is here in NZ we can get a sponsorship on the price of the Palette. Which makes it extremely affordable, as mentioned its over half the price of an Ion-here in NZ go for about $18k NZD 2x monitors, faderwing and Ion desk.
However, if the Ion was going to be the the 'Strand 520' of the worldwide industry a few years back, then we'd ge the Ion. So its an interesting discussion. Also, NZ is such a small market, we are unable to get the Ion at a discounted rate.

I think you answered your own question. The Strand 500 series was extremely successful in Australia and New Zealand, from what I have read/seen at least. Hell, the 2000 Olympics was programmed on a half dozen (along with a number of HogIIs) and I believe Sydney Opera House is completely Strand. However, over here during the same time frame outside of Broadway, Expression consoles ruled. Some places had 300/500 series desks and some had Obsession I/II desks. The 500 series never became a standard over here. In your area, it did. Hell, I have seen city by city standards of consoles just based on a sphere of influence. In Ohio, Indiana, some parts of Illinois, and Kentucky Strand is more prevalent because of Grandstage and Vincent Lighting push AND support Strand. Because Strand is so prevalent in your area already, I am willing to assume that most people who have a 500 series console will replace it with a Pallet console of some type, especially if it can be done for half the price of the competition.

Edit: Just checked, looks like half the spaces at Sydney Opera House are Strand 500 series and the other half is EOS and an Ion... so there ya go.

Last edited:
The Sydney Opera House is currently in a transition between Stand and ETC, they have purchased a full ETC EOS and ION system and as the venues allow so are changing them over. This has been happening for some months. I am sure they will retain the 520's in the near future as most venues are doing to cover them when required.

In NZ we have a better uptake of the ETC ION then any of the new Strand Consoles. If you wished to email me I can put you in contact with a number of professional venues in NZ that run ETC ION to provide you some industry feedback. The feedback most users, including the die hard 520 fans has been positive and the transition of people being able to change over has been very easy and straight forward making it very simple for existing staff to be updated to run a new platform. We look closely at Australia and the rest of the world we making decisions on which console to purchase as you can normally see a global trend developing and take leads from that.

A number of years ago an Auckland based technical training facility moved away from the Stand platform and brought in a Hog console as their primary console. This decision was
made since many of the students at the time were heading towards production work and
the hog console is widespread through the production industry in NZ. This has also been very beneficial to the production companies in Auckland as they have been able to gain new staff that already knew how to use their bread and butter consoles without having to teach them from scratch, I have heard positive feedback from several of these companies.

If you are looking for a new platform to teach the next generation, I would go out and talk to rental providers and venues in the main city centres of NZ and get feedback on what consoles they are using and where they see it going. As these are going to be the future employers of your students and really they are the ones who will be interested in what console/ platform you can operate rather then buying one type over another because it was cheap or expensive. Cheap is not always better... always get 3 prices and look at the merits of each rather then picking the cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back