ETC ion palettes

carsonld

I am currently programming a show at my university. I'm running an ion version 2.3.3. The board Is set in cue only mode. Auto mark is on. And sometimes I am tracking cues when I update them. We are using a rig with a multitude of LED tape, some LED pars, and 6 elation 5R. I have color palletes for each type of fixture. I also have beam and focus pallets for the movers. As we work our way through rehearsal, somehow our color palletes keep getting messed up. For example my red palette somehow has 3 of the movers in white and the other 3 in red. I don't remember going updating or re recording over the palette. At this point it's become a part of preshow to make sure that all focus, color, and beam palletes are what they are supposed to be. I'm extremely confused on what I'm doing wrong. Ive made sure that I'm saving the show after I fix everything. At this point I don't think I'm accidentally typing "record color palette" or "record beam palette". I'm not sure if something is turned on or I'm doing something wrong. Any thoughts?

just a thought, but have you changed any colors and than "updated", if your not careful, you can update a pallet thinking your updating a cue....Have done it many times myself, if that is what is happing, read up on "update" as there are several different ways it can work...

Sean...

Lock your color palettes. Key command will be soft key 'Lock' during the recording process of the color palette. I also suggest doing 'By Type' as well, in case you are needing to recall that color from the a same type of fixture but didn't have it recorded in the original color palette. You can also add the 'Lock' in the color palette screen. By doing so, when recording you won't update values over the color palette.

See below the reply from Anne regarding updating vs recording.

Update and Record Only can be used for similar purposes, with some key differences.
Update will take any manual values and store them back to their playback source. So in the example of only one cue on stage, [Update] [Enter] would store any changes back to the active cue. This would also include any manual values that were new information for the cue list (i.e, a channel that had never been used would be added to the active cue). If that cue contains referenced data (palettes or presets), [Update] [Enter] actually modifies the palettes/presets that were used to create the cue in the first place. This is where you will see an "R" in red superscript next to a parameter. This is a visual clue that you have overridden a stored reference. If you don't want to update the reference, you can enter: [Update] [Make Absolute] [Enter]. This converts the referenced data overrides to absolute data. We are going to be extending that functionality to a dialogue box in the near future, so that if you always want to update the cue but break the referenced data, that can easily become the default behavior.
If there are multiple cues/submasters on stage, [Update] [Enter] will update manual values back to their source. So if channel 1 intensity was owned by Submaster 1, channel 1 color was owned by Cue 1/1 and its focus was owned by Cue 2/1. You manually modify channel 1 intensity, color and focus, [Update] [Enter] would store the new intensity value to Sub 1, the new color data to Cue 1/1 and the new focus data to Cue 2/1.
You can only update to an existing record target. You can't use update to create new record targets. You can also use update in conjuction with the trace command (update the value and track that change back through the cue list to the source of the move instruction).
[Record Only] is similar - but different. There are two basic record actions. The first is [Record]. The logic of [Record] is that any channels that are not at their home position (default) and every parameter of those channels will be included in the record activity. So let's say channel 1 is at its home position, and you set channel 1 to full, set it to Focus Palette 12, don't touch its color or beam parameters (because you want them at their default values). If you press [Record]
proxy.php
[Enter] - all of the parameters of channel 1 are included in the record action (the entire state of the light, no matter how it got there). Record does not care where the data is coming from; it can be manual, from a submaster, from a cue. Doesn't matter - unless you selective store ([-] [1] [Record], for example) or use filters, ANY channel not at default will be stored.
The advantage of [Record] is that you don't need to touch every parameter of the light to make sure that the entire state of that light is going to be stored in the cue.
[Record Only], on the other hand, only stores manual values. When you are working in a single cue list, because Eos is a tracking console, it doesn't really matter that much. In a single cue list environment, [Record Only] is a handy way to modify a cue and break the references at the same time. [Record Only] [Enter] yeilds the same result as [Update] [Make Absolute] [Enter].
[Record Only] is a powerful tool when working with multiple cue lists. So lets say you are working from you main cue list, and you decide at some stage that you want to create a little color sequence on a secondary cue list. You can just set the color values and enter [Record Only] [2] [/] [1] [Enter] (for example). This will store just the manual color values to the secondary cue list. So you don't have to use selective storing (channels 1 through 5 color record only 2/1) to get that little color look off on another cue list - and you don't have to use filters?
Does this make sense? If not, let me know. I'm curious about what kind of problems you are running into. Please feel free to elaborate here - because others might be having similar issues) or I'll give you a call when I'm back in the office on Friday?
Thanks much!
Anne

See below the reply from Anne regarding updating vs recording.

Update and Record Only can be used for similar purposes, with some key differences.
Update will take any manual values and store them back to their playback source. So in the example of only one cue on stage, [Update] [Enter] would store any changes back to the active cue. This would also include any manual values that were new information for the cue list (i.e, a channel that had never been used would be added to the active cue). If that cue contains referenced data (palettes or presets), [Update] [Enter] actually modifies the palettes/presets that were used to create the cue in the first place. This is where you will see an "R" in red superscript next to a parameter. This is a visual clue that you have overridden a stored reference. If you don't want to update the reference, you can enter: [Update] [Make Absolute] [Enter]. This converts the referenced data overrides to absolute data. We are going to be extending that functionality to a dialogue box in the near future, so that if you always want to update the cue but break the referenced data, that can easily become the default behavior.
If there are multiple cues/submasters on stage, [Update] [Enter] will update manual values back to their source. So if channel 1 intensity was owned by Submaster 1, channel 1 color was owned by Cue 1/1 and its focus was owned by Cue 2/1. You manually modify channel 1 intensity, color and focus, [Update] [Enter] would store the new intensity value to Sub 1, the new color data to Cue 1/1 and the new focus data to Cue 2/1.
You can only update to an existing record target. You can't use update to create new record targets. You can also use update in conjuction with the trace command (update the value and track that change back through the cue list to the source of the move instruction).
[Record Only] is similar - but different. There are two basic record actions. The first is [Record]. The logic of [Record] is that any channels that are not at their home position (default) and every parameter of those channels will be included in the record activity. So let's say channel 1 is at its home position, and you set channel 1 to full, set it to Focus Palette 12, don't touch its color or beam parameters (because you want them at their default values). If you press [Record]
proxy.php
[Enter] - all of the parameters of channel 1 are included in the record action (the entire state of the light, no matter how it got there). Record does not care where the data is coming from; it can be manual, from a submaster, from a cue. Doesn't matter - unless you selective store ([-] [1] [Record], for example) or use filters, ANY channel not at default will be stored.
The advantage of [Record] is that you don't need to touch every parameter of the light to make sure that the entire state of that light is going to be stored in the cue.
[Record Only], on the other hand, only stores manual values. When you are working in a single cue list, because Eos is a tracking console, it doesn't really matter that much. In a single cue list environment, [Record Only] is a handy way to modify a cue and break the references at the same time. [Record Only] [Enter] yeilds the same result as [Update] [Make Absolute] [Enter].
[Record Only] is a powerful tool when working with multiple cue lists. So lets say you are working from you main cue list, and you decide at some stage that you want to create a little color sequence on a secondary cue list. You can just set the color values and enter [Record Only] [2] [/] [1] [Enter] (for example). This will store just the manual color values to the secondary cue list. So you don't have to use selective storing (channels 1 through 5 color record only 2/1) to get that little color look off on another cue list - and you don't have to use filters?
Does this make sense? If not, let me know. I'm curious about what kind of problems you are running into. Please feel free to elaborate here - because others might be having similar issues) or I'll give you a call when I'm back in the office on Friday?
Thanks much!
Anne
One of the most important lessons to learn from the above is who "Anne" is and the background / experience she brings to her current position. If you're not already aware of who "Anne" is, do yourself a favor and become enlightened before you grow much older.
Edit: I always giggle when some young buck hotshot comes along and naively attempts to correct "Anne" on syntax issues. The "young bucks" unknowingly appear as foolish as anyone casually taking Steve Terry to task on code interpretation issues.
Toodleoo!
Ron

Last edited:
@Rob, we've been though this before: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/lighting-console-basics.10514/page-2#post-116486 . Personally, I enjoyed the book, even if others felt differently.

One needs to go no farther than @avalentino 's ControlBooth profile page for her mini CV:
Eos Product Line Manager (Eos, Gio, Ion, Element) for ETC
VP of Marketing for PRG
Director of Marketing and Controls Product Manager (Virtuoso) for Vari-Lite
Director of RnD for ETC (Obsession Expression 2/3)
Dimming and Controls Product Manager for Strand
System Designer Crews Folsom Associates

This makes sense. Thank you guys for your help! Is there a way to make palletes "locked" to where when I press update it doesn't touch my palletes?

The most important thing is to go slow when you are trying to diagnose a problem... when you put a fixture in a color palette than modify the color, as soon as you hit update the board thinks you want to update the pallet. Personally, i only use update for discrete timing. Otherwise, i run the board in Tracking mode and just use blocking or [record] [cue only]. the board knows that only absolute data changes.

Notice when you tap update it tells you what you are updating, make sure you are updating the parameters you want. Notice in line 2 if i just type [update] [enter] it will modify color palette 2 for those channels... if i just wanted to store those parameters to the current and not other cues or modify the references, i would select the parameters i wanted to modify and then hit [record] [cue only] ex 1-12 {color} [record] [cue only]
upload_2017-4-23_13-11-4.png

As far as locking a palette, its very easy... double tap [color palette] this will lead you to the color palettes tab in blind, select the palettes you want to lock and then hit the softkey lock. ex, 1 thru 20 [lock] [enter]

I would suggest that you change your default update mode to "make absolute" in setup. You can still update the palette when necessary (Update Color Palette rather than just Update) but it will prevent accidentally making updates you do not want. Locking, while fixing the direct issue, hides what is really going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back