Control/Dimming Express + Show Designer vs. Classic Palette

jmac

I'm helping out a bit for a show in a theater with conventionals run with an Express 48/96. They are bringing in about a dozen Elation Design Spots, Power Washes and Vision Scans for this show and will control the ML's with an Elation Show Designer 2 along side the Express.

I've never seen the Show Designer, and have never run ML's for that matter; but I am just curious how using the Express and SD2 would compare with running the whole rig on my Strand Classic Palette....

(In this case, it is probably a no-brainer, because the LD already has a bunch of things for his movers already programmed on his SD2), but my question is based on if you were starting from scratch under either scenario).

I don't like the Designer, but I have not sat behind a Pallette yet either. But I always prefer a real console.

Mike

Starting from scratch I would say the real console is the choice. And to have everything on one console also helps out a bunch.

Classic Palette 2 is a great console, and depends on the channel count that was purchased for the console on how many movers you can control.

The best for you would be the Palette VL. Having 4 encoder wheels makes programming your movers extremely easy. You can also get it with 16 or 64 submasters.

I would also cast my vote on running the whole show on the Classic Palette. It is going to offer you much more flexibility and ease of programming and working with the MLs. Also, having the show all on one console will make the show easier for the operator(s).

Cant you connect both of them (express & show designer) through MIDI so you can control the automated fixtures easier with show designer while recording it as cue. Connect it like a master/slave sort of thing?

Cant you connect both of them (express & show designer) through MIDI so you can control the automated fixtures easier with show designer while recording it as cue. Connect it like a master/slave sort of thing?

Yes, you could, but it would be much easier to run it on the Classic Palette so long as you don't have anything against using the mouse a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back