faux rivet heads

tdtastic

Looking for clever idea to create tons of faux rivet heads that can be attached to luan. I like the large upholstery tack idea, but want something that can mount onto the surface, not puncture. Also don't want to have to cast anything. I want to be able to walk into a store and buy a crap ton of something that would work. Need to be a about 1" in diameter.

Let the brilliant ideas pour in......

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Looking for clever idea to create tons of faux rivet heads that can be attached to luan. I like the large upholstery tack idea, but want something that can mount onto the surface, not puncture. Also don't want to have to cast anything. I want to be able to walk into a store and buy a crap ton of something that would work. Need to be a about 1" in diameter.

Let the brilliant ideas pour in......
Soda bottle caps from a garbage / recycling bin plus a gentle wash / dry then attached with carpenter's glue, if they can sit horizontal until dry, or one of the quicker setting sealants if they need to be applied to a vertical surface. Put your thinking cap on and cast an eye at things being tossed out around you. Lids off of toothpaste tubes come to mind depending upon what size / shape you're seeking. You could purchase Marrette wire nuts by the 100 or or 1,000 pack, paint to suit and glue in place.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

BillConnerFASTC

1" styrofoam balls cut in half - under $3 for 16 or around 10 cents per rivet head

I was trying to figure out how large of a ball that would allow cutting 6 - 1" heads off it with the right sliding jig - but I was sure I was told that there would be no math at Control Booth. But I think 6 heads from a 2" ball - which I quickly find for $3/12 or 25 cents each or about 4 cents per rivet head. A band saw would make this easy. I imagine sliding tray that maybe held 6 balls - but you have to rotate after every or every other pass.

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
hell of a lot cheaper than to foam. Nice find.