Favorite Edison Plug

Does any one have an opionion on Cooper vs Hubble/Leviton for the 5266/5269 plugs? The local electical supply house has Cooper for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Leviton or Hubble.

Also what about Leviton 5256/5259? I've got some of those on 12/3 SJ and they look like they would work on 12/3 SO?

Thank

Philip
Philip

Just a thought, if people are using utility knives to strip outer jackets, or even using diagional side cutters in a better way to do so, but they didnt' check as pulling off the outer jacket to see if they nicked conductors, that's bad as a premiss. Metal shell - especially if one I find in the field clamps metal cord grip onto conductors in say trained persay but not caring - that or the reverse, would not want an easily stripped metal cord grip about a stage hand in changing a plug "so as to adapt."

Years ago I made a "illegal" 5-20P to L21-30P three phase adaptor for a show using a three phase AC distro rack that needed another output and didn't have it. I was proper at least in using the 20A Edison for the most part - though grumbling about having to make this adaptor in general given cross phase concerns. It was necessary. Did my proper work, electrician on site removed all the 5-20 plugs and replaced them given a lot of time to do so. Did a fairly good job of it in replacing commercial grad 5-20 with Eagle grade home owner grade plugs he bought at a hardware store in never realizing that the 20A receptacles in the rack were able to properly do the 5-20 plug. Instead what was after a lot of wated time was 5-15 non-commercial grade plugs - but at least he did properly terminate and strain relief them. That meant cutting down some on conductor strip length also as a detail that this idiot but not total one did. So in already doing something that was a bad idea but necessary in over-rule, made it worse just in not attempting to plug in the 20A plug installed. Gee that's different, best waste time and money on installing a new plug. Cannnot imagine how many times I was cursed during this work on changing over a plug that would have worked fine had they tried or had more knowledge or trust. Believe there was two of them that had to on site be re-wired.

Overall, I do love the Eagle style metal shelled plug but do prefer the better designes and they insulate better as long as you don't put imporper strip length into the clamp that don't help when insulation is clamped onto. Eagle style plugs without reading the instructions or experience are certainy easier to use and get bad habits from. Old school Union style pin plugs also reqire some training and even special tools.

Proper training thing, lots of brands of plug out there and many good or fair enough. Instructions for each brand of plug very important to master. Many types of plug, many brands of plug to also master in reading the instructions on before installing as I would recommend as just a simple step most don't take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back