Fiber Optic Stars in Black Box Grid

Mike R

Hey everyone!

I am doing a show in the Fall in a Black Box, and it would be very cool to put some fiber optic stars suspended in the grid and hanging near the walls throughout the room to give the sense of being in space.

Would this work with Unjacketed fibers? Or would there be too much glow coming off the sides of the fiber?

Any other ideas that you can think of for this? Unfortunately not enough budget to put Star Drops on all 4 walls, as much as I would love to!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Mike

Depends on the quality of Fiber you get. If you have the resources, or if you want to install something that's invisible and re-usable, you can carefully thread the fiber through any (duva) curtain without damaging the drape itself. Once it's threaded through, you just snip the tip so the angle of the cut faces the audience. You can also carefully melt the tip of the fiber (I've found that using the flat stamp on a woodburning wand works best) to flare the "star" out a bit, however it makes uninstalling a bit of a pain.

Otherwise, if you're just hanging it from the grid, I don't suggest using unjacketed...any minor bends in cheaper fiber will cause a slight flare at that bend (though you could make that work to your advantage if you have the patience)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back