Fire Safety PSA and disturbing commentary

Les

Just came across this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techtheatre/comments/3y103a/safety_psa_dont_disable_your_smoke_detectors/

The initial post by the OP is well thought-out and I was on board 100%. Then I read the comments. There are some sketchy practices outlined in the comment section, as well as a few by the OP himself. One which bothered me in particular was:

"Recently read an SF book where something like this happens: someone triggers a false alarm in order to undertake some operation, during that false alarm a real alarm is triggered (and nobody knows).
But, generally telling the alarm guy you're doing this is going to make him not immediately activate fire response, which assuming you call him when you had a real fire would simply
delay things by a few minutes (which is not a big deal in a modern building)" [Emphasis mine].

Sorry, but no. Seconds count in every evacuation scenario. This kind of complacency and thought process gets people killed.

Then, toward the end of the thread I came across an undergrad who was proud of their system of covering the detectors with renovation dust caps during the run of the show. According to them, it is especially responsible because they make sure every cap is locked up and accounted for at the end of the night. The OP even seems to endorse this practice, which I find extremely hypocritical given the spirit of his post.

Thoughts?

IMO, if you know that a fog effect will set off your alarms, then there needs to be an established fire watch procedure approved by your AHJ, or fog effects are not an option. Simply disabling (or ignoring a triggered alarm until a principal silences it, continuing with the show (yes, there's a story about that)) is stupid and reckless, and should not be tolerated.

Last edited:
I believe the fire watch is the only current solution - notification silenced and a person who can quickly investigate a detector. The long term solution is a change to codes and standards that would allow some solution to the detectors required in the return air. Atmospheric effects that initiate a detector have become so common that it's time to address it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back