First aid facilities

Re: First Aid Kits

This is incorrect. From the American Red Cross website, "All First Aid, CPR and AED training carry 2-year certification."

The professional Lifeguarding/First Aid/AED certification is valid for 3 years, the professional CPR is valid for 1. I'm staring at both of mine... But you are correct, the other "non-professional" certifications are valid for 2 years.

The professional Lifeguarding/First Aid/AED certification is valid for 3 years, the professional CPR is valid for 1. I'm staring at both of mine... But you are correct, the other "non-professional" certifications are valid for 2 years.

Actually we are both half-correct. CPR for the professional first responder as well as all other ARC medical certs are 2 year certifications. I just did a little googling and it turns out that the expiration periods used to be what you have but the recently changed to a uniform 2 year system.

Actually we are both half-correct. CPR for the professional first responder as well as all other ARC medical certs are 2 year certifications. I just did a little googling and it turns out that the expiration periods used to be what you have but the recently changed to a uniform 2 year system.

Wowzers. That is quite the change!

Going a bit OT here, but still relevant...
With the 1 year certification for CPR, you obviously you would have to renew the certification every year which in turn means you would either challenge the test (because you had been practicing your skills) or you would take the class again (because you hadn't been using your skills). I guess what I'm getting at is you need to practice your skills! Just because you have the certification doesn't mean you will be able to remember everything during an emergency situation. Yes, having prior emergency experience will help, but your mind might just go blank.

I would suggest to everyone who has some sort of CPR, First Aid, AED, First Responder, any other medical certification to head on down to your local volunteer rescue squad and ask if they will look at your CPR technique and help you go over the material. Most of the time, they will be glad to help you out and may even tell you some war stories. Obviously you should read through your training book first, but there is no substitute for practice, practice, practice!

mettiI'm jealous that you have your EMT-B, I'm hoping to get mine this fall!

When you're talking regs, certifications and scope of practice, the big rule is check your local laws. They vary from state to state and province to province. OTC meds can be a tricky one. As a first aider, you can't administer any med, but at some levels you can provide them for the patient to take themselves. Here, if I'm working on an ambulance I can't give OTC meds (except ASA, but that is a different situation) but if I'm working on a construction site as the FA Attendant, I can. Like I said, check your local laws.

In Canada, CPR certifications don't actually expire, but "annual retraining is recommended." As a paramedic, I have to take "CPR C+AED for Health Care Providers" every year no matter how many times I've done CPR in the field. Good times.

AEDs and SAEDs are especially fantastic because you don't need training to operate them. While the course is good to take, if you can follow the four step cartoon and the voice prompts, you might just save someone's life.

I agree with ScottT 100%. The more you practice your skills, the calmer you'll be when it hits the fan.

Regarding CPR/LG/FA training...(being an instructor trainer myself...)

CPR-2 years for Red Cross and American Heart
Lifeguarding-3 years, but changing this fall (not sure to what yet, if anything)
Oxygen is currently 1 year.

I think the other rumors have been cleared up, that Duck started earlier.

Thanks!

Regarding CPR/LG/FA training...(being an instructor trainer myself...)

CPR-2 years for Red Cross and American Heart
Lifeguarding-3 years, but changing this fall (not sure to what yet, if anything)
Oxygen is currently 1 year.

I think the other rumors have been cleared up, that Duck started earlier.

Thanks!

First off, I don't appreciate people saying I started rumors. These are not rumors its what the laws are in my area. Leagly if you are not a paramedic that is on duty you are not allowed to do anything other than basic first aid.

This includes Hands only CPR, putting pressure on a bleeding wound, along with a few others. Medication cannot be given period. In the city of sioux falls (i'm not sure if its state wide) if you give someone any kind of OTC medication you can be charged with distributing a controlled substance. Unless they have it on their persons you could get in big trouble.

I didn't start any rumors what-so-ever and do not appreciate someone saying that I have.

DuckJordan, while I can't speak to your jurisdiction, if it is anything like every other state that I know of, there is a big difference between "administering medication" and "giving someone some ibuprofen". Let me provide an illustrative scenario:

Patient: Matthew, my head really hurts.
Me: Take 400mg of Ibuprofen. Here is a sealed dose pack.
^This is me administering OTC medication. This is not legal anywhere unless I am a paramedic or doctor.

Patient: Matthew, my head really hurts.
Me: Ibuprofen is good for headaches and the package indicates that someone of your weight and age should be taking a 400mg dose. I have some 400mg dose packs of Ibuprofen and you are welcome to one if you would like.
^This is me sharing OTC medicine with a friend. This is completely legal as long as they are not a minor. It may be illegal in Sioux Falls, but it is completely legal pretty much everywhere else.

In nearly every jurisdiction, distributing OTC medicine is not considered distributing a controlled substance because OTC medication is not a controlled substance. Again, if the patient is a minor, parental consent is needed unless it is a school or camp situation where a parental waiver has already been signed.

Just something to keep in mind-

Unless you are a medical professional (EMT, Dr, etc...), the Average Person rendering First Aid is protected by the Good Samaritan Laws which protect you from lawsuits. The Good Samaritan Laws vary state to state.

That does not excuse you from protecting yourself. Understand your limitations. Use proper protective gear and Blood Born Pathogen Prevention.

Last edited:

Honestly, the only things I would push for a venue is a simple first aid kit. Band-aids, some roller gauze, sterile water and eye flush if in a shop, a pair of gloves, and a mouth to mouth barrier device. An AED is always an awesome thing to have, cost permitting.

As an EMT, anything beyond that in a venue is fairly unnecessary. With the time it takes to get ems to a venue in the majority of cases, this is far over the top and can lead to issues.

However, that being said, when your venues start getting larger (1000+), you will typically start having an EMT on your security staff. At that point the EMT and his med director should be making the decision based on their protocols and standing orders.

The problem with people trying to help people this day is the fact that you will be sued for giving some kid a band-aid at the ticket office. I hate to be that person, but it happens. Alot, and unfortunatly I see it everyday while working on ambulances. Also, if it is something serious enough that you are going to need a med kit that large, you will need a higher level of care than you can provide. Just watch yourself, its always the best bet.

The problem with people trying to help people this day is the fact that you will be sued for giving some kid a band-aid at the ticket office.
Do know of any specific case of that happening? I would like to know that the venue could provide any sort of assistance even as simple as a band-aid. Unfournately this is America where people have successfully sued because a coffee cup didn't warn them that the beverage is hot.
Personally, I don't see the issue of giving a kid just a band-aid, but that's the most I would give a kid if he/she was to ask me without a parent involved.

Perhaps another case of gray area here is who is reponsibible for providing care: the venue or the employee rendering care even with proper training outside of what the venue provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back