Design First Time Setup

sobe8503

Hey guys, I searched some here, and couldn't find anything. I need some help with picking out a lighting set for a small stage. I have an idea of what we need, but when it comes to brands or specific equipment I'm lost. Basically we need a small setup that will light a cloth backdrop. What kind of truss do you guys recommend? Also, are there any kinds of lights I should look at (Brands, leds, bulbs)? Thanx!

Hey guys, I searched some here, and couldn't find anything. I need some help with picking out a lighting set for a small stage. I have an idea of what we need, but when it comes to brands or specific equipment I'm lost. Basically we need a small setup that will light a cloth backdrop. What kind of truss do you guys recommend? Also, are there any kinds of lights I should look at (Brands, leds, bulbs)? Thanx!

Are you hanging the backdrop from the truss as well? If this is installed you may be better off dead hanging pipe instead of truss. It will be much cheaper and do the same job. If you're stuck on truss take a look at Global. They make decent and inexpensive stuff. The next step up from that would be Applied (the majority of my truss is their all purpose 12" box) then Thomas or Tomcat. I have some Tomcat stuff and it's great. I probably won't buy Applied again if I can keep getting good prices on used Tomcat. Thomas is kind of strange because you have to use half washers so I tend to stay away from that, but in an install where you're not breaking it every night it won't matter.

For lighting I would go LED, but that's my personal preference. I also only use tri color LED's because I don't like the "Lite Brite" effect that RGB LED's give. Also, the less expensive RGB LED's are bad at shadowing - the outside of the light field will have multiple colors in it, not the color you've mixed. As far as brands/models, you get what you pay for for the most part. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Also, what kind of console are you using? Are you prepared to eat up 6 channels times the number of LED's on your console? You can always address them the same, but that's no fun. :)

For a small stage, I'm going to assume that you don't have a lot of money. If you'll be buying, I recommend getting some Altman 65Q fresnels with barn doors for zone and white lighting, along with a few Source Four Ellipsoidals if you need specials and can afford them. The Source Fours would take HPL lamps, probably 575 or 750 watts. I believe the fresnels take BVT lamps, but please verify because it may have changed since the original 65s.

For cyclorama coloring, I recommend cyc lights. Depending on price range, you could get Altman Spectra Cyc color mixing LEDs (I assume you won't have anyone standing on your cyc), or possibly buy something used if you can't afford that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back