Fixing Light Spill

I'm currently designing a show that will be performed in the round. For my general wash, I can't get the 6" Fresnels I'm using to stop spilling over into the audience. The problem is, I have 0 barn doors in my inventory for Fresnels of that size, and a technical director who isn't willing to spend much more money on lighting (we've already spent about $10,000 this year alone). I read on a separate thread that BlackTak+BlackWrap could fix that, but I was wondering if anybody had a better idea than that? Thanks.

I'm currently designing a show that will be performed in the round. For my general wash, I can't get the 6" Fresnels I'm using to stop spilling over into the audience. The problem is, I have 0 barn doors in my inventory for Fresnels of that size, and a technical director who isn't willing to spend much more money on lighting (we've already spent about $10,000 this year alone). I read on a separate thread that BlackTak+BlackWrap could fix that, but I was wondering if anybody had a better idea than that? Thanks.

Blackwrap could fix that, but it might not look very good.

If you're feeling adventurous and have some time on your hands (heh), one option I've used on a 6" fresnel is getting either a piece of 6" stove pipe (or a piece of aluminum flashing to roll your own) and building a makeshift tophat. Using a pair of tin snips, cut about four 1" wide tabs at whichever end you decide is the base (removing the extra) and rivet them on to gel frames you'd be willing to sacrifice. You could also make your own base plate, but getting that round hole can be time consuming. Paint it black using hi-temp spray paint and don't forget to safety cable it. Here's what you're after:

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/042383-Altman-6-SN

Note the price -- they're pretty cheap and probably worth it to buy if you don't already have pop riviters, tin snips, and extra gel frames laying around.

Another approach to shape the beam is to simply take black wrap ( or pie tins ) cut to the shop of the beam you want in the gel frame. Takes a lot of fiddling but it will work.

Renting is always an option.

Assuming you have a graveyard of old instruments and accessories somewhere, tophats made for the 360Q will work in most 6" fresnels also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back