Floor Treatment to Protect

Chris Rigby

We're currently in rehearsals for "Crazy for You," a very tap dance heavy show. As one would expect, our wooden floor is taking a beating. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a wash or treatment that could be used on the floor to help protect it? We're scheduled to just flat out replace the floor at the conclusion of the production, but I was interested to hear if anybody had any way's to help keep it from becoming incredibly damaged, because there are still several months of rehearsals to go until opening.

We're currently in rehearsals for "Crazy for You," a very tap dance heavy show. As one would expect, our wooden floor is taking a beating. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a wash or treatment that could be used on the floor to help protect it? We're scheduled to just flat out replace the floor at the conclusion of the production, but I was interested to hear if anybody had any way's to help keep it from becoming incredibly damaged, because there are still several months of rehearsals to go until opening.
Rosco (and others) make a dance floor that can be uses for tap. It can be temporary install using seam tape. and saved for another show.

As for repair, without seeing it, Ardex makes a feather finish product that I have used on some stage floors, then repainted with PPG Break through Black or other colors. Ardex can be flat troweled on and is fast drying. It will work better on 4'x4' or 4'x8' panel stage floor vs hardwood plank floor.

A bunch of sheets of Masonite, some gaff on the seems, and a few screws in the corners would be a great way to protect the floor through rehearsal. Heck you could even paint it and use it during the show. A lot cheaper than buying a whole new floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back