Fog Machine Options

I second the Unique, it is a great hazer. Plus, Look Soutions will send you one to demo of any of their products for free, no questions asked.

A) BS to the only one approved by AEA.
B) Boo to AEA and all their silly haze guidelines. I'm sorry it I have just worked with too many whiney actors who even when using AE approved haze fluid did little whiney complaints. Coughing like I'd lit up a cigarette on stage.

I agree with the BS factor My research has shown that AEA endorses no foggers whatsoever. As Sean pointed out they have only set guidlines for concentration and exposure. If they actually endorse a product it would sort of be like OSHA saying," you must brand XYZ, fall arrest." Now they can write the specs so as only one or two brands qualify, but they can't actually endorse a product.

As far as "Boo to AEA......" Just remember, Grog, you are not on stage 6 days a week, doing seven, sometimes eight shows a week, singing, dancing and emoteing your heart out. < well maybe you are and have lungs of iron> While it may seem silly to some of us who have worked in the Wood Shop since long before there were dust collectors, I think they < whiney actors> deserve just as much Occupational Safety as we do.

< 'course that doesnt excuse the Massive coughing fit when you test the fog machine in the SL wing and they are standing in the SR wing, But then I've had people have coughing fits when I light a cigarette outside, they're a block away, and upwind of me>

Just keepin' it real. :mrgreen:

Ok, so we've got votes for Unique and Radiance hazers... not a big surprise there really. What about foggers? Like I said, my sales rep wants me to get a Jem. At my previous school I had an H.E.S. F-100. Remember it's for a 55 foot square black box. I want good performance but it'll only take a few seconds to fill the whole theater with a big fogger.

What's your favorite Fogger product?

As Sean pointed out they have only set guidlines for concentration and exposure. If they actually endorse a product it would sort of be like OSHA saying," you must brand XYZ, fall arrest." Now they can write the specs so as only one or two brands qualify, but they can't actually

Well, not really true. As AEA (Actors Equity Association) is not a regulatory body of the government, they can make any endorsement/request they'd like. Just like you can negotiate a particular pay rate, AEA can negotiate for whatever it wants (as can LORT, Broadway producers, etc). They do not currently endorse a particular product, but that doesn't mean there is any law, regulation, etc that precludes them from doing so in the future.

Really, the problem is twofold. The MASSIVE amounts of "false" information spread around being the bigger part. If you don't know, just go look it up--don't rely on some rep (read: salesman) to interpret a contractual agreement for you. All of the fog information is available online through AEA's website. You'll have to spend 15 minutes reading it--and having a basic understanding of an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) will be helpful.

The other part of the problem is Equity itself. Those in the office (I'm speaking specifically of the staff in the NY office that deals with LORT contracts) do NOT know what they are looking at when they read fog information. The questions that I've been asked after information is submitted reflect a gross lack of knowledge. This individual/these individuals just as much need to go educate themselves if they're supposed to be the contact people for LORT.

*off soapbox*

--Sean

Ok, so we've got votes for Unique and Radiance hazers... not a big surprise there really. What about foggers? Like I said, my sales rep wants me to get a Jem. At my previous school I had an H.E.S. F-100. Remember it's for a 55 foot square black box. I want good performance but it'll only take a few seconds to fill the whole theater with a big fogger.

I know it's a bit overkill for your space, but I'd still vote for the F-100. Ability to put out fog quickly is just as important as volume produced.

I really think you should demo a Unique and see if you NEED a fogger too. The Unique can put out so much stuff it almost looks like a fogger. I think you'll be surprised. There are videos on their website http://www.fogspecs.com
Check out the output...

--Sean

As far as "Boo to AEA......" Just remember, Grog, you are not on stage 6 days a week, doing seven, sometimes eight shows a week, singing, dancing and emoteing your heart out. < well maybe you are and have lungs of iron> While it may seem silly to some of us who have worked in the Wood Shop since long before there were dust collectors, I think they < whiney actors> deserve just as much Occupational Safety as we do.
< 'course that doesnt excuse the Massive coughing fit when you test the fog machine in the SL wing and they are standing in the SR wing, But then I've had people have coughing fits when I light a cigarette outside, they're a block away, and upwind of me>
Just keepin' it real. :mrgreen:

You're right I'm not on stage doing that many shows a week. I'm working 14 hour days 6 days a week making everything else happen around them. But here's what you're missing from my post that I probably didn't make clear. Unions just like anything else in life are good only to a point. Both AEA and IA are full of people who exploit the system and use it as a reason to have an attitude problem.
Everyone derserves a safe work environment, but they don't deserve protection that allows them to be a jack ass just for the sake of being a jerk.

I'm a fan of the F100, but in my own opinion theres nothing better than a 50 Gallon drum pea souper.

.................. but they don't deserve protection that allows them to be a jack ass just for the sake of being a jerk..................

I claim that Right as an American, I throw it in there with Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
:mrgreen:

I like the F-100.

I haven't actually worked with them, but the Look Solutions Foggers seem to be pretty kick As$. And, as with the Unique, you can demo them fro free.

I know it's a bit overkill for your space, but I'd still vote for the F-100. Ability to put out fog quickly is just as important as volume produced.
I really think you should demo a Unique and see if you NEED a fogger too. The Unique can put out so much stuff it almost looks like a fogger. I think you'll be surprised. There are videos on their website http://www.fogspecs.com
Check out the output...
--Sean

Interesting idea Sean... in a space so small the difference between a fogger and a big hazer set on "kill" might not be all that much. I might be able to get away with just the hazer and the peasouper... hmmm

Interesting idea Sean... in a space so small the difference between a fogger and a big hazer set on "kill" might not be all that much. I might be able to get away with just the hazer and the peasouper... hmmm

This of course would not work with most hazers (many are just "on/off"). Call up Look Solutions. Tell them you're considering buying a Unique, and you'd like to demo one. You'll most likely end up talking to either Nathan or Hunter--they're both really nice guys. They'll send you a machine to try. We demoed one for the run of a show (10 weeks) with no problems.

The output of the Unique on high is very impressive.

Barbizon and Production Advantage sell their stuff. The Unique will run you ~$1400-$1500 or so.

I really think it would be a good option for this situation.

--Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back