Fresnels vs lekos for corporate/worship applications?

TJCornish

I do a lot of portable events that are perhaps best described as corporate. They have a band and I use LED wash fixtures and a couple movers for color light. I am currently using leko fixtures to provide front light, especially for the speaking component of the event.

Normally I have truss about 6' out from the front of the stage and about 14' high, so wide fixtures are desirable. I have a couple of 50 degree Source 4s that get used for this, as well as 36 degree S4s and old Strand Centurys.

It seems like it takes too many fixtures to provide a nice front wash with the lekos, and it also seems that the hard edge - even softened as much as I can - is a detriment.

Are fresnel fixtures the right tool for this? The variable beam angle is really attractive, and as long as the pool is on the floor, I don't think I need any more control than I can get with barndoors.

If so, what should I be looking at? I'm trying to stay with 575 watt class fixtures (or larger fixtures lamped down to 575w if that makes any difference), and like the efficiency of the S4s.

Doing a forum search here has revealed the Selecon Acclaim and Rama lines. I see Arri fixtures at B&H, and I have a few old Century 6" fresnels that I got really cheap, tried once, but then abandoned because of the crudity of the fixture and relative inefficiency.

I've seen comments like "The Acclaim is only good to a trim height of 18'". Why does that matter if the beam angle and wattage are the same as something like the Rama?

Are the new fresnels more efficient and higher tech than the super crude Century 6" fixtures I have and am trying to get rid of?

Thanks for any thoughts!

*grr.... stupid CB and "your security token was missing"... *grumble*...let's try this reply all over again...*

From what you are saying, it definitely sounds like a 6" fresnel is the way to go for you (for an even, smooth field with a soft edge and even coverage across the stage.) Ellipsoidals are better for situations when you need patterns or distinct area control.

My favorites (from personal use) are the Selecon Rama and the Altman 65Q. Lamp them with BTH 575W lamps and you'll have the output you are looking for. Another option is the new ETC Fresnel, which will allow you to use the HPL lamps you already stock for your Source Fours. I hear they are quite good, but have not used one yet as a designer.

Many fresnels are the same- Most use a very inefficient spherical reflector. I'm not sure of the reflector inside the RAMA and ETC Fresnels though. They might be more efficient as they are newer in design. They do have some nicer features on them though. (I recall the RAMA having the beam degree listed so you can see the field degree as you slide the lamp forward/back.)

A suggestion- if you can, find a local dealer and ask for a demo with the various brands to see which one you like the best.

First step- Get a 575W 115V BTH lamp, and see what that adds to your output with your current fixtures.

I just did a shootout with one of the new S4 Fresnels lamped at 750, versus a 1k 6" fresnel. The S4 Fresnel was about 20% brighter at narrow, and approximately the same at wide. A nice feature of the S4 is that the lamp is accessible from the bottom, so you don't have to lose your focus to change a lamp. I can't comment on them at 575, as I've never used them that way. I like how much less light leak there is from the S4 than from a more standard 6" fresnel. By all means, get your hands on some demos! There is nothing like seeing it for yourself.

You might also want to try an S4 PAR. Fresnels eat a lot of the lamp output, so if you want to stay in the 575 watt class, give the S4 PAR a try.

Selador Desire by ETC. Source Four PAR. Source Four Fresnel. Source Four Junior at 50 degrees.

I have some Altman 65Q Fresnel instruments. They are good - but IMO they are similar to your Century 6" Fresnel instruments - so you may want to consider moving into the 21st century with something else. I was using 65Qs more years ago than I care to admit. You can use them, they have plenty of accessories (barn doors, top hats, etc.) and they may suit your needs. However - they don't have all the features that newer style instruments have. That being said - they are a valuable instrument - but they are a bit "dated".

I'm just "throwing" these suggestions at you for your consideration.

If you want to be able to shape the beam with barn doors, I would stay away from PAR units, or 'LED Par units like the selador.

When I have looked at the ETC fresnel, I found the beam to be somewhat uneven especially at full flood.

The cheapest solution would be the Altman unit. Last time I looked it was about $110.

If heat and power are an issue you might consider an LED fresnel. I was impressed by Chauvets new fixtures at LDI but they are a lot more than $110

Thanks for the replies so far. What's attractive about a fresnel is the physical size - significantly smaller than a leko, but zoomable, meaning I don't have to stock as many fixtures to cover different focal lengths.

I'd love an LED fixture, but wonder if we're really ready for them yet as front wash. I love them for color, and own a good batch, but have stuck to conventionals since moderate priced fixtures - less than $500 or so - haven't been able to keep up with Source 4's for brightness and look anything like a warm white. The Chauvet linked may be interesting, depending on price.

I'll check out the S4 Fresnel - a local dealer sells them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back