gear used for Oscars

Kally123

Howdy

Does anybody have a list of all the equipment use to broadcast the Oscars? Or for that matter know where it might be found if it is out there to find?

Thanks

The broadcast audio for that kind of event is usually done with two remote mixing trucks. The trucks are fully equipped control rooms in a 52' trailer.

Usually, one truck handles just the orchestra mix. The other truck puts together the rest of the broadcast and bring in the music from the first truck. Sometimes a third truck is used to divide responsibilities even further. Surround sound adds to the work load.

This is just speculation, but as for what was in the venue, my money would be on PM1D's with Ver-Tec arrays.

Well, the main microphones were definitely Schoeps - and usually the microphone has automatic height adjustment so that each person speaking can have the mic at the appropriate distance from their mouths.

This is just speculation, but as for what was in the venue, my money would be on PM1D's with Ver-Tec arrays.

If I recall, the house has point source Meyer arrays. This doesn't mean something else wasn't brought in, but I would be surprised if they did.

You're probably right about the PM1D's for the house, but the broadcast consoles were most likely Calrecs.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the Kodak Theatre in which the Oscars take place was built in 2002 for the presentation of the Oscars. It does other things, but it does one thing really, really, well. The camera positions are there and all the broadcast cabling is built into the building. Live Design, then Entertainment Design, did a good writeup on the theatre when it opened.

I was looking around a bit on sunday to try and find some of the information on how they did the video screens and all the lighting... as well as what type of gear they used, BUT I could not find a thing any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back