Gel Help 42nd Street

mattemt

I'm brand new to this site but it seems to be a great resource. I am getting ready to light 42nd street. Any suggestions on gell colors for the show? Im going to need one back light color and two side light colors, as well as front light.
Thanks

Welcome to the booth Matt!

I've moved your question here so the discussion stays focused on this show rather than everyone's favorite gels.

That being said, if you've got access to the space before hand take a bunch of different gel in and expeiriment. I can tell you what gel to use all day long, and hell even cue the show for you but then it wouldn't be your show to design. It sounds as though you're limited in inventory.

Tell us a little bit more about the space and lets see what others have to say.

Got one of these yet, a swatchbook? Just light paint chips at the hardware store, you get a small cut of each color with the name, number, and spectrum information. A true representation instead of what's created on the computer monitor.

proxy.php

Easily ordered at low cost from:
Rosco
LEE
GAM
Can't find the link for Apollo

Last edited:
Got one of these yet, a swatchbook? Just light paint chips at the hardware store, you get a small cut of each color with the name, number, and spectrum information. A true representation instead of what's created on the computer monitor.

proxy.php

Easily ordered at low cost from:
Rosco
LEE
GAM
Can't find the link for Apollo

You can just contact Apollo Customer Service and they send you stuff. Really helpful for me. You can also get gobo posters and the like.

I'm brand new to this site but it seems to be a great resource. I am getting ready to light 42nd street. Any suggestions on gell colors for the show? Im going to need one back light color and two side light colors, as well as front light.
Thanks

I would, with only one backlight color and 2 sidelight colors, go with a solid that I can dim to every time there is a scene change, as well as pop and highlight the actors, bringing them off the set, but you can also use a nice solid color that you would like to set the general tone for the show. Keep in mind this will really highlight the actors and pop them from the set, so probably not too saturated... For the sidelights, I would choose two colors that are different from your backlight, and probably a "warm" and a "cool", although more saturated than your fronts would be, for example R21 and R74 (Amber and Blue). What kind of moods are you trying to create on the show? Do you want it to be romantic and passionate, or sad and depressing? You might try finding some pictures that make you feel the way you want each scene to feel and select the color that best encompasses that photo to use, and you can make some other colors, for instance if you use blue and red sides, you can get purple sides too. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Set colors? Costume colors? What instrument types will you have available and what lamps? What do your throws look like? All of these greatly impact your options and the choices you should make.

PS: Welcome to the boards from another Philly Area person!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back