Gel identification

decoss

I'm cleaning up our old gel inventory and have a number conversion question. We use mainly Rosco gels, but I found a stash of Lee gels and some marked Gem. I found a chart to convert Lee numbers into Rosco numbers, but I can't find anything on Gem.

Am I missing something??

73 doesn't seem to be a Gam color.
520-New Straw
885-Blue Ice
970-Special Lavender

73 might be G730, match to R70
G520~R3316*
G885~R360*
G970~R4930*

*according to the iPhone app, iSwatch. NOT verified by a human.

Be aware that one of the reasons people will use a lesser-used color line instead of Lux or Lee is specifically that it has colors the others don't. Thus conversion charts may be close, but there are usually no EXACT matches between brands. That's likely how you got the GAMcolor in the first place--someone HAD to have a specifically color and wouldn't settle for a close match in Lux or Lee.

Last edited:
73 might be G730, match to R70
G520~R3316*
G885~R360*
G970~R4930*

*according to the iPhone app, iSwatch. NOT verified by a human.

Be aware that one of the reasons people will use a lesser-used color line instead of Lux or Lee is specifically that it has colors the others don't. Thus conversion charts may be close, but there are usually no EXACT matches between brands. That's likely how you got the GAMcolor in the first place--someone HAD to have a specifically color and wouldn't settle for a close match in Lux or Lee.
We have a lot of visiting lighting guys...community arts center...and they sometimes bring their own stuff and leave it after the show. I'm trying to get our entire inventory under one numbering system.

Thanks for your help. This site keeps bailing me out of tech issues that I'm supposed to be the go to guy for. You guys rock!

I know what you are saying. I am also the "fixer of all things" plus the "finder of weird things." This site has pulled my butt out of the fire many times. My problem is beyond tech stuff I am also getting hit with physical plant, boilers, refrigeration and computors.

We have a lot of visiting lighting guys...community arts center...and they sometimes bring their own stuff and leave it after the show. I'm trying to get our entire inventory under one numbering system.

Thanks for your help. This site keeps bailing me out of tech issues that I'm supposed to be the go to guy for. You guys rock!

oh dont do that. That would just rankle me to no end, if I asked for R70 and all but one were actual R70 and one was a close match. Just do this: Have R for your Roscolux, L for your Lee, G for your Gam, and AP for your Apollo. Sort accordingly. That way, if someone comes in and actually asks for a Gam color, you can get it right out and dont need to go around with a gel conversion swatch. Much easier this way, and less likely to crank off your LDs. The reason I feel strongly about this is because the previous ME at my venue did this with a color, and half the plot was just a TINY bit off. Then I looked bad for having put what was effectively the wrong color in half the instruments without knowing it. Had to make 3 crew members go through every sheet and every gel in the entire inventory with swatch books to make sure it wasnt done anywhere else. Nearly killed someone over that boondogle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back